PDA

View Full Version : Baxter State Park Question

Singletrack
04-13-2004, 05:43
I have my reservations for Katahdin Stream CG. Why do I have to pay 36 dollars for a two man shelter? Why dont they rent out the other half of my shelter, and charge me half? When there in 2000, I had to wait 2 days before anyone could climb Katahdin. What if this happens, this time. Will they kick me out of the Park, when my reservatons run out? I understand SOBOs cannot stay at the shelters at Daiscey Pond? Does anyone have any answers? Thanks

Blue Jay
04-13-2004, 07:43
I have my reservations for Katahdin Stream CG. Why do I have to pay 36 dollars for a two man shelter? Why dont they rent out the other half of my shelter, and charge me half? When there in 2000, I had to wait 2 days before anyone could climb Katahdin. What if this happens, this time. Will they kick me out of the Park, when my reservatons run out? I understand SOBOs cannot stay at the shelters at Daiscey Pond? Does anyone have any answers? Thanks

Don't wash for a few days and walk in from Abol Bridge. It's a very fine hike, certainly worth doing twice, or you could take the Blueberry Trail, a wonderful Blue Blaze. They won't know you have not walked a few hundred miles. You're a NOBO, do Katahdin, then you're a SOBO. DO NOT WORRY.

TJ aka Teej
04-13-2004, 08:40
I have my reservations for Katahdin Stream CG. Why do I have to pay 36 dollars for a two man shelter? Why dont they rent out the other half of my shelter, and charge me half? When there in 2000, I had to wait 2 days before anyone could climb Katahdin. What if this happens, this time. Will they kick me out of the Park, when my reservatons run out? I understand SOBOs cannot stay at the shelters at Daiscey Pond?

Hi Singletrack. All campsites and leantos in the Park are '2 person mimimun' rentals - except for Northbound AT hikers who only pay for one spot at the AT shelter. When are your reservations? I bet if you post here you can find another hiker to split the cost with you.
No AT hikers get "kicked out", the Katahdin Stream Rangers bend over backwards for the hikers and always find room for them somewhere.
The Daicey Pond shelters have been removed, replaced by the Birches Long Distance Hikers Lean-tos and tent platform about .3 miles south on the tote road from Katahdin Stream Campground. No sobos, no flipflops, no IAT hikers allowed. Just Nobos who have hiked in from at least 100 miles south.
Anything else I can help with, let me know,

rickb
04-13-2004, 09:03
That $36 is for 2 nights right?

Perhaps you could let the rangers at both the gate and at the campground know you have extra space in case they find themselves looking for a creative solution to help out hikers who didn't plan so well ahead, or who found themselves dealing with a closed mountain the day before you arrived.

You might even write down your offer and information, to leave with the rangers at the gate and CG. Who knows, you could end up helping someone out of a jam. Your concern for others might also be remembered should you need to ask for a favor (and a third night).

Just a thought.

Rick B

Lone Wolf
04-13-2004, 09:12
Talk about elitism and favoritism. NOBOs ONLY allowed in their precious little shelters. If and when I ever go in the park again it will be stealth all the way.

TJ aka Teej
04-13-2004, 10:57
Talk about elitism and favoritism. NOBOs ONLY allowed in their precious little shelters. If and when I ever go in the park again it will be stealth all the way.

Northbound long distance hikers do not know when they will arrive at the Park. So the Park provides shelters that do not require reservations, and charges them just $9. The Park knows the unique needs of Northbound AT hikers, and has built shelters and made rules just for them.
All other accommodations in the Park require reservations and have a two person minimum.
Since Southbound, and Flip-flopping hikers know when they will arrive at the Park, they are required to follow the same rules all other visitors do.

Singletrack
04-13-2004, 18:44
Thanks TJ and Rick. If I could help someone out, I would do it. My reservations are for June 16, and 17th. Those two dates are a little earlier than I wanted, and were my third choice. If anyone wants to share the shelter and split the cost, let me know.

chris
04-14-2004, 08:46
Northbound long distance hikers do not know when they will arrive at the Park. So the Park provides shelters that do not require reservations, and charges them just $9. The Park knows the unique needs of Northbound AT hikers, and has built shelters and made rules just for them.
All other accommodations in the Park require reservations and have a two person minimum.
Since Southbound, and Flip-flopping hikers know when they will arrive at the Park, they are required to follow the same rules all other visitors do.

But, if I were to, say, continue hiking north on the IAT after reaching Katahdin (so, hike AT+IAT together), I would still have to make reservations. However, unlike northbounders, who can reach Katahdin from outside the park (and so wouldn't need reservations or special accomodations anyways), I can't get from outside Baxter, to Katahdin, and then out of it in a single shot. In fact, I don't know if I could get from inside, to the top, and out in a day. Perhaps if I showed up and begged my case the rangers might find something for me, calling about on phones and shuffling people around, so that I might be able to pay $18 for a night somewhere north of Katahdin. Very wild indeed.

TJ aka Teej
04-14-2004, 11:02
But, if I were to, say, continue hiking north on the IAT after reaching Katahdin (so, hike AT+IAT together), I would still have to make reservations.

Your senario would allow the AT/IAT hiker one night at the Birches for $9.
A year ago I shared a campfire in Baxter with Twister Sister 1 (or maybe it was 2..) who was finishing a southbound IAT hike and was pretty ticked off when she learned she wasn't allowed to stay at the Birches. I believe the IAT folks and BSP have had talks about this changing. Earlier that summer two nobo IATers hiked the AT up Katahdin to Baxter Peak and then hiked the northwest trails out through the Park staying at a couple of back country lean-tos they had reserved in January. That sounds like a 'better' IAT route to me, but I don't think it will ever become official.

chris
04-14-2004, 12:27
Earlier that summer two nobo IATers hiked the AT up Katahdin to Baxter Peak and then hiked the northwest trails out through the Park staying at a couple of back country lean-tos they had reserved in January. That sounds like a 'better' IAT route to me, but I don't think it will ever become official.

This was what I had in mind, but my ability to predict when I would be north of Katahdin, but still in Baxter, is pretty bad. I think it is more than 30 miles from Birches to the park boundary going to the north of Katahdin (or, rather, this was about what Spur did in 2000). I'd rather do this than climb K, retrace my steps, and then exit the park with the AT hikers and proceed to road walk it. But, the only other option I see is a stealth night (what Spur did, and got caught at a ranger station on the way out). As this trip isn't imminent, I've got some time to ponder. Still, it would be nice if "wilderness" park was wild enough to accomodate such a simple plan.

weary
04-14-2004, 18:21

Not only that, but when the topic was discussed at the Baxter Advisory Committee meeting a couple of years or so ago, I made the suggestion that southbounders require no special considerations, and the suggestion was eventually adopted.

REalistically, campsites are usually not a problem during the period between May 15 and June 15, when most southbounders start. Usually, a space will be available, especially with a midweek start. My practice is to just show up and ask the campsite rangers if they have a vacancy. That's blackfly season. A lot of people tend to leave after experiencing the flies for awhile, leaving a vacancy.

Whatever, Baxter Park lives off the trust funds left by
Governor Baxter. There is no profit. Without the trust funds, the campsites wouldn't support the cost of the park. No public money is appropriated at the request of the governor, who didn't want his park subject to political pressures.

Those who cheat are only cheating the legacy left by the man who bought the park with his own money after failing to persuade the Legislature to do so.

Weary