PDA

View Full Version : PA snow information?

twilight
12-24-2008, 10:44
Is there snow on the ground around Bake Oven Knob or the Pinnacles or Caledonia SP? Or around Col. Denning SP on the Tuscarora Trail?

Twilight:sun

shelterbuilder
12-24-2008, 10:55
Is there snow on the ground around Bake Oven Knob or the Pinnacles or Caledonia SP? Or around Col. Denning SP on the Tuscarora Trail?

Twilight:sun

As of Christmas Eve morning, I think that it's safe to assume that Bake Oven Knob and the Pinnacle (and most of the Blue Mountain, for that matter) are covered with a thin coating of ice-encrusted snow. It's raining in Reading right now, but the mountain top is about 1000 feet higher than Reading, and it's possible that ice/freezing rain is still coming down.

GPK
12-24-2008, 11:32
... if no locals respond -
http://www.weatherstreet.com/local_forecast_files/pennsylvania-snow-cover.htm

Hoop Time
12-24-2008, 14:40
Can't speak to those specific spots, but here is what I can tell you. I was up on Peters Mountain Monday and the trail atop the ridge was covered with a little snow and a topping of ice. The trees in that area were all covered with ice, and there was a lot of ice falling as the wind blew through.

http://blog.pennlive.com/midstate_impact/2008/12/large_winterweb.jpg
(took some trail photos, but can't access them This is of Route 225 by the trailhead)

That was from last weekend's storm, which the weather service said dumped snow on areas north of Harrisburg, especially above Interstate 80.

We had more ice/freezing rain in the Harrisburg area overnight, but temperatures are expected to go above freezing, to close to 40 today and Christmas day is expected to be sunny with temps in the mid 40s.

The forecast for the weekend is more precipitation, with temperatures above freezing.

But that does not account for the differences at higher elevations. The day I was up to Peter Mountain, the ground was bare and no ice in the trees until you got close to the top of the mountain.

Hope that helps.

emerald
12-24-2008, 14:55
Ice on at best a few inches of snow and on trees overhead should be expected. Wind when present may shower you with frozen gifts from above.

Toolshed
12-24-2008, 17:07
Can't speak of Caledonia SP or specifically of Pinnacle, but was up on the AT on Blue Mountain Just N of BOK Yesterday.
Thick coatings of ice everywhere up to 1-2 inches. Very thin layer of snow beneath (1-2" perhaps) making 2-4" total. Many rocks are ice coated and very slick.
It is currently raining (all day today) and 34d here at 600 feet. I walked up my 950' Mountain today and it was the same just up there. Everything is turning to slush though. and the thick coating of ice is starting to soften up.