PDA

View Full Version : Harpers ferry resupply

greaver
04-13-2004, 15:57
Any advice on much food should I Maildrop at Harpers Ferry. I know Boiling Springs is about 100 miles away but whats the resupply situation in between?

Peaks
04-13-2004, 16:46
I used the grocery store on Route 30 for resupply. About 58 miles from Harper's Ferry.

A-Train
04-13-2004, 17:56
I would NOT recommend on resupplying in Waynsboro or Ble Ridge Summit PA, which is at the crossing of PA16, the first major road in Penn. This is the only place I unsucessfully could not get a hitch on the whole trail. Luckily I didn't need food, just wanted food. I waited an hour and a half and watched as thousands of cars passed me, so I eventually hiked on. You can also send a maildrop to Iron Masters Mansion Hostel and pick up some short resupply at Green Mountain store on PA 34, just .2 off the Trail. There is also a pizzeria and grocery half mile off the Trail at US30 as mentioned above. I packed the 5 days of food from Harpers to Boiling Springs, but basically suplemented snacks and meals along the way where convenient. Miles come easy thru here so no real need to worry

Moon Monster
04-13-2004, 22:50
The camp store at Pine Grove Furnace st park has ramen, liptons, and pop-tart type stuff. And the half-gallon of ice cream will serve as a meal. It opens on weekdays after Memorial Day, I think.

The biker bar a half mile from Pine Knob shelter (near I-70) (I forget the road) was great. A cheap meal and 75 cent draft Coors.

The pizza place (Taormina's) a half mile West at Rt30 was also great. And that was another meal. These aren't resupply but they can add up.

chief
04-13-2004, 23:41
Hey Moon Monster, was that biker bar named Dog's Breath (I forget the road too). If so, it is a great place. Good food, good people and cold beer. Ate 2 sandwiches and drank a few beers there. Too many beers and they'll let you tent out back. I chose to pack sandwiches and beer up to the shelter, for my fellow hikers.

Moon Monster
04-14-2004, 13:07
hey chief; the one I'm thinking of was the Dogpatch Tavern--"Where good People Can Be Found"
All the Harley regulars inside were very welcoming of us and called it a "hiker-biker bar." The pork chop sandwich and fries was like 3 bucks and I ate two orders and the fries off a section-hiker's plate which shocked the waitress.

veteran
04-14-2004, 15:00
If you don’t mind taking a short side trip for groceries, (approximately 5 miles).
When you cross the Potomac River from Harpers Ferry, follow the C&O Canal
past the towns of Sandy Hook, Weaverton, and Knoxville to the town of
Brunswick, MD. Take a left on MD (Rt. (17/79) to the north side of town, take a right
on Souder Road, MD (Rt. 464). You will see Brunswick Shopping Center, near it
is a Super Fresh Store. (Long term resupply)

Peaks
04-14-2004, 18:45
hey chief; the one I'm thinking of was the Dogpatch Tavern--"Where good People Can Be Found"
All the Harley regulars inside were very welcoming of us and called it a "hiker-biker bar." The pork chop sandwich and fries was like 3 bucks and I ate two orders and the fries off a section-hiker's plate which shocked the waitress.

As they say, "We look after hiker trash and biker trash on our mountain."

BRIAR
04-14-2004, 22:10
Just left Waynesboro yesterday and there were 6 NOBO's who got hitchs in from Rockfish Gap in a matter of minutes. I hitched from Tye River crossing in the rain on Monday and altho it took time to get a ride--a super guy took me to Waynesboro for the cost of the fuel alone. No problems with resupply in Waynesboro.

A-Train
04-14-2004, 22:28
I was refering to Waynesboro Pennsylvania. Waynesboro, Virginia is an awesome, friendly town.

chief
04-17-2004, 09:38
Yes, Dogpatch is the one, I stand corrected. Great place!

BonzNRio
08-02-2004, 09:39
3 days worth of food is all I take hiking north out of Harpers Ferry.There are several resupply points.

BonzNRio
08-02-2004, 09:40
P.S. I'm not hard to find in H.F. I'd be glad to shuttle anyone to Charlestown to resupply..