PDA

View Full Version : Trail Guide Suggestions?

xnav
12-25-2008, 10:56
I've been using maps during my section hikes along the AT, however, during my last 30 mile section from Fontana to the NOC I was confronted with a huge information problem. Water was not availabe at Brown Fork shelter and I did not want to double back to the spring that I had passed, but my map did not show the location of the spring at the road crossing at Stecoah Gap. Luckily, I passed a family that knew the location of the spring at Stecoah Gap and they gave me the info. I'm thinking of just using a trail guide in the future but I want certain features: 1. Detailed location of water along the trail. 2. Good descriptions and distances of features along the trail. 3. Available services along the trail. 4. Vertical profiles. What are the best guides that contain these features?

Manwich
12-25-2008, 11:03
If more people would participate, I'd have up-to-date information on my website (http://www.thetrailwiki.org/). But until people sign up and feel like contributing, it's just little old me.

Rest assured, if you're within NJ / South NY territory, I've got your back.

BookBurner
12-25-2008, 11:04
Check out the Appalachian Pages at www.appalachianpages.com (http://www.appalachianpages.com). I think it fulfills all your needs. Happy Trails!

max patch
12-25-2008, 11:37
The best info about the trail only can be found in the Appalachian Trail Guidebooks which you can buy at any outfitter ir online from the ATC.

Directions to the water source you were told about are clearly given in my copy of the GA/NC Guidebook.

Trail info is also given in the various Thur Hiker Handbooks, although not nearly as much and not nearly in as much detail. I did check the online Companion and it also gave direction to water at Stecoah.

Bottom line: carry the various State Guidebooks for the most comprehensive trail info.

Lyle
12-25-2008, 20:53
Appalachian Pages Info:

"Stecoah Gap, NC Rte 143
Sweetwater Creek Rd (paved) 100 yards west to spring and picnic tables."

Companion Info:

"NC 143/Stecoah Gap - A good spring can be found by following the paved road west 200 feet to an over-grown logging road. Spring is located down the logging road on the left."

In this particular instance, the Companion was much more helpful and more accurate. The picnic tables are right at the road crossing, the spring is west about 200 ft. I like carrying two different sources, especially for section hikes. Both the Companion and Appalachian Pages are conducive to taking only the specific pages you need.

Kirby
12-26-2008, 15:26
Sly seems to be pushing for improvements that people have been saying are needed for a while.

Kirby

Rockhound
12-26-2008, 18:07
the problem here is water availability will vary with each year and even during each year. more water in spring, less in winter etc... During your hike read the log books. that will give you the most up to date and accurate info on water availability and when in towns or hostels use the internet. Also top off at each water source. You may not want to carry the extra weight but it sure beats going thirsty.

Wise Old Owl
12-26-2008, 19:23
Thank's Rockhound, the log books are helpful, I think Totem is on the right track too, it would be nice to go to one site and see all the springs dry or not. ala GPS as well.

snowhoe
12-26-2008, 19:39
After a bit I also threw out the maps and used the guide book. It was less confusing.

Kirby
12-26-2008, 19:39
Dont rely that heavily upon these guidebooks for water, all the guidebooks miss a bunch of them, their difficult to track.

Kirby

max patch
12-26-2008, 19:53
Dont rely that heavily upon these guidebooks for water, all the guidebooks miss a bunch of them, their difficult to track.

Kirby

Thats why the original poster should carry the state guide books and the data book if they want to know the most info "about the trail". The various thru hiker handbooks do not have the same level of detail about the trail as the state guide books.