PDA

View Full Version : MSR Hubba Durability

DapperD
12-25-2008, 16:01
I have a new '07 MSR Hubba I purchased for a thru-hike of the AT and I was wondering from those who actually used the Hubba day after day on their thru-hikes how well the tents materials and new swivel hub pole held up. Thanks

bigboots
12-25-2008, 16:38
I am using my hubba for my thru. I have used it in all 4 months, and in pretty much all coditions. I haven't had any problems with it in that regard but cannot speak of longgevity on the trail other than I know many other people have used it.

Pedaling Fool
12-25-2008, 16:45
Little late to be asking;)

I have a $100 Kelty Teton II, purchased back in 2005, cheap compared to a Hubba Hubba. I've done 3 long distance hikes and two long distance bike trips, all with out a footprint/ground cover and it still has many years of service; your tent will be fine.

Red Hat
12-25-2008, 17:24
some folks had pole problems, but MSR replaced them... just had to do a few nights in shelters till they arrived by mail... Not me, but that's what I heard...

Blissful
12-25-2008, 23:41
Yeah we will need to get our hubba hubba poles replaced because the small circular part where the poles connect pops off. We have an older model tent though.

Rockhound
12-26-2008, 12:17
yep. I love the tent but I did need to have the poles replaced. MSR replaced them quickly and at no cost to me. Its nice to know they stand behind their product. I suggest you keep the poles dry and pack them so there is no pressure on them while hiking

Pedaling Fool
12-26-2008, 12:38
Interesting...a $300 tent with an apparent pole problem. (http://www.msrgear.com/tents/hubbahubba.asp) :-?

Rockhound
12-26-2008, 13:37
Interesting...a $300 tent with an apparent pole problem. (http://www.msrgear.com/tents/hubbahubba.asp) :-?

bought mine new for $186 actually

wrongway_08
12-26-2008, 13:56
The "pole connectors" had the threads stip out. Looks like they were installed wrong from the factory (the threads looked stripped in), have not called about it yet but I only need the connector itself - the pole end is fine.

Johnny Thunder
12-26-2008, 14:08
Only Hubba I saw die last summer was decimated by a 12-year-old flying one of Matthewski's kites at the Billville feed. What a look that kid made when he climbed out of the wreckage.

Lion King
12-26-2008, 17:14
I have a new '07 MSR Hubba I purchased for a thru-hike of the AT and I was wondering from those who actually used the Hubba day after day on their thru-hikes how well the tents materials and new swivel hub pole held up. Thanks

Best
Tent
Ever

had it in heavy wind storms in WA on the PCT,During the STORM OF THE CENTURY in 2006 when it snowed and rianed for days in the North West, in desert climates, nonstop rain on the AT and JMT, snow and negative temps, etc...

The easy 30 second set up and take down are big pluses, as is the 3 lbs.

it has never let me down.

Kirby
12-27-2008, 15:49
I heard nothing but good things about it on the trail this year. A free standing tent is a great thing for the AT. There are a ton of nice camping spots where anchoring would be difficult.

Kirby

Many Walks
12-28-2008, 00:39
We bought a Hubba Hubba in 2006 for our thru and loved it. It was quick and easy to set up and tear down. It packed fairly small and was strong enough to endure some nasty conditions. We used a gear loft to hang clothes at night and used 3' sq. pieces of tyvek as floors in the vestibules where we stored gear. We used a footprint under the tent to help protect the floor. The poles were strong enough to hold some wet gear to dry if the sun was up when we set camp. With doors on each side, and a net pouch on the head end for storing glasses, flashlight, knife, etc. it's a nice tent for two people. We generally slept with our food unless we knew of bear activity in the area. We had mice and red squirrels chew threw the screen in Maine, but that wasn't the tent's fault. I wouldn't hesitate to take a Hubba Hubba on another thru with a mate, but if I was going alone I'd seriously consider a Hammock.

OverLoad
12-28-2008, 01:00
I'm thinking about buying this tent. Does anyone know if it will be long enough for a 6'5" person? I havent found a store that has it on display yet.

BackTrack1
12-28-2008, 09:21
I'm thinking about buying this tent. Does anyone know if it will be long enough for a 6'5" person? I havent found a store that has it on display yet.

Probably just long enough, although i would wait untill after the first of the yr. to purchas one, i bought one online last yr. an 06 leftover, who cares still brand new and the foot print for 165.00,i think the only big difference is the rainfly is a different color now.
I love this tent and havent had any problems with it, but i havent used it for months on end yet either so time will tell i guess.
good luck. :D

Many Walks
12-28-2008, 14:45
Overload, I'm 6'1" and still had a little room to spare for boots, food bag (pillow), etc. I think a 6'5" person could stretch out and have a few inches to spare.