PDA

View Full Version : Opprey 85

beas
12-26-2008, 12:23
Can anyone give me some feed back on this pack? I have come to the realization I will not be an ultralight guy. I hike to camp, that makes my pack a tad bit fuller than most. I believe that I could pull off a tad bit smaller than the 5100 cui of this pack but I will be hopefully going with the boys 5 and 10 and some time and also know I will be carrying some of their stuff. Most of the time I will be solo with the dog and hammock HHULBP and the SS. I may never completly fill this pack but I hate to have the thing busting at the seems. I believe the tensioning straps will pull down any slack left in the pack area??
what do ya'll think?

BradMT
12-26-2008, 13:10
Crescent 85?
Aether 85?
Argon 85?

beas
12-26-2008, 13:14
Sorry Argon didnt relize there where that many in that size range

BradMT
12-26-2008, 13:31
Well, as a long time Osprey owner/fan I'm pretty disappointed to what has happened with Osprey in the last couple years. The Argon is a "dumbed-down" pack in every regard compared to the earlier Crescent's it replaced.

They managed to slice a pound out of it but, for packs of this class designed for big volume and weight, it was a dumb move IMO. Packs this size should have heavy duty fabrics and beefy suspensions... the Argon's are neither fish nor foul. They're not real lightweights and not "serous-duty" packs either.

The fabrics are thin. The overall feel of the pack is utterly cheap. They did away with full length stays. I handled one at the local backpackatorium and was shocked to notice the bottom was starting to show wear from having sat on the carpet in the store for a whole month! A friend who owns a Crescent 70 bought the Argon 85 and said it didn't carry anywhere near as comfortably as the Crescent and that its fabrics were too cheap and thin for his use. He sold it.

Since its production move to Vietnam, Osprey's stuff has gotten trendier, gaudier and cheaper. The market demands all that, I get it. I also get that they're catering to the UL crowd... that's where the market is.

But, they completely ruined their heavy-duty load monsters that a lot of us like better than UL packs and still use. For me, I pare away weight everywhere EXCEPT in a pack... to me, it's ounce wise but pound foolish to get carried away over the base weight of a backpack... comfort can only truly be achieved by a REAL suspension and that comfort doesn't translate it to ounces and punds at the end of the day and truly can't be made too light.

I haven't bought an Opsrey pack since 2003 and doubt I'll ever own another based on their current build/design philosophy... and I've owned close to a dozen Osprey packs, and currently still own four.

That's my short answer :)

beas
12-26-2008, 19:32
Just courious have you seen the newer models? The reason I ask is the dude at the local outfitter said basically the same thing. He is the buyer for their local chain here in Memphis Tn. He said that the distributor for Osprey even said that. but he is either just trying to sale the packs or they have improved. I don't think these are packs to carry elk with but I believe they may have better suspensions than the last years gregorys. I also looked at the Baltro from Gregory but it is 500 or better cuin smaller. It had a really nice suspension. Ist the custom molding a sales gymic or is it legit?

beas
12-26-2008, 19:36
I forgot to add that he agreed but they allegidlly fixed most of the complaints folks had.

BradMT
12-26-2008, 20:57
The fabrics are thin. The overall feel of the pack is utterly cheap. They did away with full length stays. I handled one at the local backpackatorium and was shocked to notice the bottom was starting to show wear from having sat on the carpet in the store for a whole month! A friend who owns a Crescent 70 bought the Argon 85 and said it didn't carry anywhere near as comfortably as the Crescent and that its fabrics were too cheap and thin for his use. He sold it.

Guess I wasn't clear enough in the above... YES, I've handled the Argon. I wouldn't buy one but that's just me.

I find the world of packs to be in a sad state of affairs recently.

IF I were in the market right now for a good quality backpack I'd be looking on ebay for a pre-2004 Osprey Crescent 75 or 90 or pre-2006 Arcteryx Bora 80

I also like the Granite Gear FX5500.

mudhead
12-27-2008, 07:46
Since its production move to Vietnam, Osprey's stuff has gotten trendier, gaudier and cheaper. The market demands all that, I get it. I also get that they're catering to the UL crowd... that's where the market is.

And then they showed up in the LL Bean catalog. I would enjoy a larger version of the Solo, however.

Jack Tarlin
12-27-2008, 16:22
I don't have time for a long response, so here's a quick one:

I've got more than 20,000 hiking miles with Osprey packs, including seven A.T. thru-hikes. I've also owned and used Osprey packs since they moved some of their manufacturing overseas. I've also owned and used their products since 2003.

I have found nothing to indicate that their products have become "trendier, gaudier, and cheaper" in recent years, or that there has been any decine in standards and quality of their backpacks.

I disagree strongly with Brad's comments above.

That being said, an 85 is a big pack, but you apparently have good reasons for carrying and needing something that size.

I think you'll do just fine with an Osprey.

BradMT
12-27-2008, 16:38
Funny how two people can see something so completely differently.

But then I don't do UL packs and could never find a reason to own anything currently produced by Osprey.

If you can't see the fabric differences from the 1990's and early 2000's compared to today's stuff I'd suggest you're really not paying attention... or are REALLY into UL packs, which is great and is your choice.

Jack Tarlin
12-27-2008, 16:45
Um, Brad, I'm not really into UL anything, and anyone who's ever hiked with me can easily confirm this. I'm not overly concerned with pack weight or keeping things light.

And my 7 thru hikes with an Osprey were between 1997 and 2003, so if there was a significant change in design, in constructio, or in quality in that time frame, I suspect I'd have noticed it.

I do indeed pay close attention to the geat I use, believe it or not.

And I think Osprey packs are among the finest made.

But since your experience is evidently different than mine, I'll happily let this one go.

Mocs123
12-27-2008, 17:22
If you want a "throw back" to the packs from the 1980-1990's you might look at McHale or Mystery Ranch packs. They both make load haulers that would make you proud.

Mocs123
12-27-2008, 17:27
I have an Osprey from 2003 (Aether 60) and find it to be a bomber pack. I use it in the winter when I need to carry more than I can fit in my 2004 Mountainsmith Phantom.

I rarely carry over 26 pounds so I am on the other end of the spectrum, but If you are planning to carry heavy loads, make sure you buy a pack with the support to do it, weight is of little issue then. If I were going to carry fifty pounds, I would much rather carry it in a 7+ pound pack with a good suspension, than I would in a 3-4 pound pack with a lightweight suspension.

beas
12-27-2008, 18:41
Thanks for all the input. With all the reviews I have read Brad's is the only negative I have see. I am sure he has his reason and they very well may be something to consider.
Thanks again

BradMT
12-28-2008, 01:48
And my 7 thru hikes with an Osprey were between 1997 and 2003, so if there was a significant change in design, in constructio, or in quality in that time frame, I suspect I'd have noticed it.

So there's no change in DESIGN from 1997 to 2003?

Dude. The big change's happened right in the middle of that time frame when Osprey left the Vector packs and changed over to the Crescent design with its entirely different suspension... the change was gigantic. Quality absolutely remained top drawer however. The core fabric remained 500 D Cordura.

The big "quality" change happened about three years ago and has continued... the Aether's got thinner, cheaper fabrics. 500D Cordura became mostly a thing og the past. The stays were no longer removable and, therefore, shapable.

This is the internet... you make a lot of claims and some pretty silly statements... I can't fathom how anyone could have missed the cahnge-over that occured from 1997-2003, and the bigger changes starting after starting last year when the Crescents were dropped in favor of the "improved" Argon line...

BradMT
12-28-2008, 01:52
So there's no change in DESIGN from 1997 to 2003?

Dude. The big change's happened right in the middle of that time frame when Osprey left the Vector packs and changed over to the Crescent design with its entirely different suspension... the change was gigantic. Quality absolutely remained top drawer however. The core fabric remained 500 D Cordura.

The big "quality" change happened about three years ago and has continued... the Aether's got thinner, cheaper fabrics. 500D Cordura became mostly a thing of the past. The stays were no longer removable and, therefore, shapable.

This is the internet... you make a lot of claims and some pretty silly statements... I can't fathom how anyone could have missed the change-over that occurred from 1997-2003, and the bigger changes starting last year when the Crescents were dropped in favor of the "improved" Argon line...

Edited for spelling and grammar (grin).

BigFoot2002
12-28-2008, 04:21
I flip flopped in 02. I met Jack in the Bigelows. As his reputation on the trail had preceded him in the pre-whiteblaze era as it does now; I asked his advice. He sat down on a rock and, from memory alone, wrote out a whole notebook page of info not in the guidebooks. I found much of it useful. And on one or two occasions, it really saved my butt. None of it was inaccurate, including the phone numbers.

I've been lucky enough to hike about 4000 miles of the AT over 3 seasons. Never with Jack. But when my experiences touch on something Jack says on the internet, my opinions almost always align with his. I consider his resupply article a must-read (better yet - bring it with you) for all AT hikers. It even works SOBO. So when Jack has an opinion on something I have no experience with, like Osprey packs, I would tend to listen.

There is a whole lot of advice given on this site I would question greatly, based on my experience. But I've never seen any bad information or inaccurate claims posted by Jack Tarlin. When you read something on the internet about the AT written by Jack, it comes from a man who has been there, done that, and - if you are lucky - he will sell you a t shirt. In fact, on my last hike though Hanover, Jack didn't give me the shirt off his back, thank God, but one out of his dryer.

And the only downright silly statements I have ever heard him make have been in the defense of republicans.

BigFoot

BradMT
12-28-2008, 13:09
That all may be well and true, but when a guy doesn't understand there were massive changes in Osprey packs from 1997-2003 and displays that ignorance publicly on the internet I tend to question his ability to appraise things. It's that simple. I'm not calling the man a liar, just calling him un-observant when it comes to the facts of Osprey packs, and Osprey packs alone (THAT IS the topic at hand, not whether a guy spends his life achieving the questionable goal of constantly walking the AT).

I've owned the following pre-2001 Osprey Packs:

Zenith
Sillhouette
Highlander
Impala
Finesse
Kestrel
Escapist
Flash

Post 2000 packs I've owned:

Crescent 90
Crescent 75
Crescent 60
Aether 60
Eclipse 32
Eclipse 42
Ceres 50

But I obviously know nothing about Osprey packs and their design changes and features despite having used Osprey for eleven years on all sorts of backpacks, ski tours, snow-shoes, climbs and hunts, winter, spring, summer and fall here in the Northern Rockies, right? I need to have thru-hiked the AT multiple times to have the ability to discern the various features of Ospry packs and hold an opinion, right? It's irrelevant that I've been backpacking for thirty five years and have used internal frame packs exclusively since 1978, right? It means nothing that I'd walked over a 1,000 miles of the AT by the time I was sixteen in 1977, right?

I also have no information at my disposal showing the dramatic change-over from the Fusion EX frame (pre-2001) to the Recurve frame (post 2000), and the subsequent changes after the move to Vietnam and the additional changes after the Crescent line was dropped and replaced with the lighter-fabriced, lighter framed Argon's right?

Rooted around and found some of the Osprey catalogs I've had laying around... no information there, right?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/brad300wsm/P1000378.jpg

I will admit to having something of a "pack fetish"... I enjoy using all sorts, under a variety of conditions. So I have my own questionable past-time which is as open to public scrutiny as anyone eleses questionable past-times :)

BradMT
12-28-2008, 13:25
Would add, when I said "Ive owned close to a dozen Osprey Packs" I was sort of shocked to learn I've actually owned fifteen... but addicts are usually in denial :D

Here I am not using Osprey Packs:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/brad300wsm/GetAttachment.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/brad300wsm/Brad-1.jpg

Jack Tarlin
12-28-2008, 13:51
You know, Brad, you might have more credibilty here if you didn't feel the need to insult people so much.

Re-read my above comments. All I said was that I strongly dis-agreed with you, but that I felt you were entitled to your opinion. Nowhere did I say anything about you personally.

Your comments, on the other hand, are pretty poisonous, so I don't really feel the need to continue this discussion further. You think I'm silly, you think I'm incapable of observing anything about my gear; you denigrate my time and mileage on the A.T. without knowing a thing about other places I may have hiked. In short, you really don't know much about me.

So I think our dialogue is pretty much completed.

I'll leave one last comment: I've worn Osprey packs for years, and have hiked many miles in them. This includes much satisfied use in recent years where we have been told that their quality has gone to hell.

I strongly dis-agree. I don't know my plans next March, I don't know where I'll be hiking, or what I'll be wearing.

But I do know I'd be really happy with an Osprey. I might add that Osprey has been in the "Top three" of all packs used on the A.T. in recent years. How do I know this? Because I've been out there in recent years, have met hundreds of hikers, have talked to them about their gear, and have worked in
nearly all of the Trail's best outfitters. This has put me in a fairly unique position to see what folks are buying and wearing; to talk to them about their gear; and to hear their complaints and comments.

The general concensus among these people is that Osprey continues to make a damned fine backpack.

There are, of course, those who will disagree.

Several thousand recent long-distance hikers might feel diffeently and have no problem saying so.

I'll leave it up to Whiteblaze readers to decide whose opinion carries more weight here.

BradMT
12-28-2008, 13:57
between 1997 and 2003, so if there was a significant change in design, in constructio, or in quality in that time frame, I suspect I'd have noticed it.

That, was my point, you haven't noticed the changes. You made my point.

Poisonous? Huh? Personal attacks? Huh?

Dude, Grow up...

Jack Tarlin
12-28-2008, 14:07
Brad:

In the years that you stated that Osprey went downhill (1997-2003) I completed seven consecutive A.T. thru-hikes very happily wearing their backpacks.

Oddly enough, if their downward spiral into cheapness and mediocrity was as pronounced as you'd like us to believe, I think there's a good chance that I'd have noticed.

But funny thing.

My packs were just fine.

I'm sorry your experience was evidently different than mine. Or different from thousands of other happy long-distance hikers who have chosen Ospreys in recent years.

But it's a funny thing.....on this entire thread, you seem to be the only one who had a beef with Osprey. You're the only one pushing this. You're the only one repeating your complaints.

OK. You've made your point. Several times. We obviously disagree on this.

But if you wanna keep whining about it, have at it. But funny thing.

You're whining alone.

yaduck9
12-28-2008, 14:19
Well lets see.......

We have two very passionate people here voicing two different opinions...hummmmm.

One appears to be a non professional hiker and the other receives compensation by selling outdoor products to support his hiking.

Lets leave it up to Whiteblaze readers to deide whose opinion carries more weight.

Jack Tarlin
12-28-2008, 14:24
Um, you have a problem with working for a living?

Pretty foolish comment, Yaduck.

Some of the backpacks I sold to hikers over the years were Ospreys.

Many, many weren't.

So if you have a real point here, please fill us in.

yaduck9
12-28-2008, 14:51
Do I have a problem working for a living???

That is a good one. Your at the top of your form today.

all I said was "Lets leave it to WhiteBlaze members to decide whose opinions carries more weight"

Jack Tarlin
12-28-2008, 15:13
Your comment was indeed foolish, Yaduck.

If I receive compensation during those short periods where I'm helping my freinds at their stores on or near the Trail during their busiest time of the year, it comes from the folks who own and run these privately held shops.

I don't get paid by manufacturers.

I don't get paid or rewarded to push or to promote certain brands over other brands.

I have nothing to be gained by favoring or promoting any particular company.

What I do, Yaduck, is answer people's questions about gear, and work with them to find out what THEY'LL be happy with.

Why this troubles you escapes me.

But the fact that I'm paid when I'm working in these stores is irrelevant to this discussion. If I support or strongly recommend a particular product or company, Yaduck, it is not because I am being compensated to do so. I do so based on my own feelings towards the product and the manufacturer, and my opinion is generally based on my own knowledge, my own firsthand experience, and my own discussions of the product with other folks.

But to imply that my opinion is somehow suspect because I get paid to go to work is a pretty foolish thing to say.

BradMT
12-28-2008, 15:30
Jack, the thesis of your argument is:

"I'm Jack Tarliln. I've thru-hiked the AT seven times. I've used Osprey packs from 19977 through to now. There have been no changes because I say so and I'm Jack Tarlin. Other thru-hikers say the same thing. They've not changed... I say so. Quality has remained excellent. I say so, I'm Jack Tarlin."

My thesis is I've used fifteen different models starting in the 90's, love Osprey and would love to base my opinion on a thesis as thin as "I'm Brad, Osprey packs are awesome."

My problem is I can't... the facts support my statements that Osprey packs have changed radiacally since 1997. I pointed out the change from the Fusion to the Recurve suspension. That's not CHANGE huh? That's verifiable, and I didn't pull it out of my azz. I personally think the Recurve suspension was better than the Fusion, but I'm also can't see how reducing the Fusion frame to the current Argon configuration is a good thing. I also can't see how going from 500 D Cordura to the thin fabrics used on the Argon make the Argon more durable. The facts can't support that.

I poointed out the change in the Aethers... fabrics have gotten thinner/lighter. That's quantifiable. The Aether stays are no longer removeable and therefore not shapable to backs like mine that require custom fitting. How can that be a good thing?

Those are just a couple examples of changes at Osprey, yet you maintain nothing has changed. Fabrics are not lighter? They are. That's quantifiable. I'm sure the current fabrics on the Argon are as sturdy as 500 D Cordura, right? Even though the Argon's fabrics are thinner and lighter. This has nothing to do with sewing quality. I believe the sewing quality of Osprey packs remains as good as when they were built in Cortez, CO.

If this were a court of law, you'd be laughed out to the street. You have no facts, just an emotional, "because I say so."

Stands to reason you've sold your ability to reason out to Osprey packs for cash.

Osprey needs to have its feet held to the fire, and I, as a consumer and long time supporter, will not currently own anything they build. That's based on my personal prefrences, but is also based on a LOT of experience, and also based on what Osprey is currently building... the ARGON's are in no way the equal of my early-2000 Crescents, except they're lighter.

Jack Tarlin
12-28-2008, 15:39
Brad:

This isn't a court of law. So calm yourself.

And how getting paid to go to work in a retail store where you sell gear made by dozens of different companies constitutes "selling out" for cash is a mystery to me.

But if your only method of debate is to insult people, Brad, there's really no point in continuing this dialogue. But if you think your language and tone elevates you in any way here, you might want to think again.

Til Yaduck joined this conversation, Brad, I think there only two people who
remotely cared about it.

Now there's one.

You want to keep whining about this, have at it. But do it on your own.

Bye now.

yaduck9
12-28-2008, 15:44
Well lets see.......

We have two very passionate people here voicing two different opinions...hummmmm.

One appears to be a non professional hiker and the other receives compensation by selling outdoor products to support his hiking.

Lets leave it up to Whiteblaze readers to deide whose opinion carries more weight.

Is the glass half full or half empty?

One could say that the non-professional hiker is nothing but a pack sniffing amateur wannabee and the other is a well versed professional who exudes the principle's of customer satisfaction.

Or....

One could say that the non-professional hiker is of pure character much like an ancient olympian while the other is nothing more then a door to door peddler.

Is the glass half full or half empty..............Let each decide for his or her self.

Jack Tarlin
12-28-2008, 15:52
Sound to me, Yaduck, like your glass is MORE than half empty.

Also sounds like it wasn't your first glass today, either. :D

Oh, and you still haven't pointed how my part-time employment selling all sorts of different kinds of outdoor gear made by dozens of different companies has ANYTHING to do with this discussion.

Still waiting on that one.......

yaduck9
12-28-2008, 16:04
I suppose at this point I am suppose to go into some emotional meltdown, sorry.

I will let the folks here read the posts and draw their own conclusions.

Enjoy the weather.

BradMT
12-28-2008, 16:06

Once again Jack, I'll point out your thesis... I'm Jack Tarlin. I've thru-hiked the AT seven times. There has been NO change in DESIGN or CONSTRUCTION of Osprey packs from 1997 through 2003.

That's beyond ridiculous, and patently FALSE as documented by the FACTS, NOT the EMOTIONAL OPINION of someone who thinks that opinion is more credible than actual facts.

I've given multiple SPECIFICS of how Osprey packs have changed in design and construction. you can't counter any of it because you have no facts.

You just have, "I'm Jack Tarlin, I've thru-hiked the AT seven times, Osprey packs have not changed from 1997 - today "in design, in consturction, or in quality" because I say so.

Lone Wolf
12-28-2008, 16:09
I will let the folks here read the posts and draw their own conclusions.

i conclude jack is right and you 2 boys are wrong

Lone Wolf
12-28-2008, 16:10
Once again Jack, I'll point out your thesis... I'm Jack Tarlin. I've thru-hiked the AT seven times. There has been NO change in DESIGN or CONSTRUCTION of Osprey packs from 1997 through 2003.

That's beyond ridiculous, and patently FALSE as documented by the FACTS, NOT the EMOTIONAL OPINION of someone who thinks that opinion is more credible than actual facts.

I've given multiple SPECIFICS of how Osprey packs have changed in design and construction. you can't counter any of it because you have no facts.

You just have, "I'm Jack Tarlin, I've thru-hiked the AT seven times, Osprey packs have not changed from 1997 - today "in design, in consturction, or in quality" because I say so.

broke record. broken record. broken record. brok...

yaduck9
12-28-2008, 16:11
Good for you.

BradMT
12-28-2008, 16:16
broke record. broken record. broken record. brok...

It's a broken record, because, like any intelligent person, I come right back to facts, not emotional theories... jack has yet to present a fact, other than his name, jack Tarlin, and that he has hiked the AT seven times.

Apart from that there is only emotion...

glessed
12-28-2008, 17:23
Now that I have found an appropriate area to ask a question, I am curious what backpack size (volume) is most used for doing the long hike?

Because of my age I am now thinking of slimming down from 35-40 pounds fully loaded to less than 25 pounds. I have been using a Gregory Palisade, not fully loaded.

KG4FAM
12-28-2008, 17:31
Now that I have found an appropriate area to ask a question, I am curious what backpack size (volume) is most used for doing the long hike?

Because of my age I am now thinking of slimming down from 35-40 pounds fully loaded to less than 25 pounds. I have been using a Gregory Palisade, not fully loaded.
Whatever you can comfortably fit all your crap in with some extra room for the six pack if you are feeling like it.

Jack Tarlin
12-29-2008, 14:54
Brad:

You get a quick reply and then I'll leave you to your whining because this conversation is getting really tiresome.

You recently quoted me as follows: "There has been NO change in DESIGN or construction of Osprey packs....."

You know, Brad, if you want to have any credibility here at all, you should avoid putting words in people's mouths that they never said. It's dis-honest and kind of shabby.

I just re-read this entire thread.

Nowhere did I ever say there haven't been any changes in Osprey packs in recent years.

Of course there have been.

Companies change their products all the time.

So there's no way I'd ever say anything like this.

What I actually said, Brad, and any interested parties can check it out, is that I don't think there's been a significant drop-off or decline in quality, i.e whatever changes have been made in Osprey's packs haven't affected the overall worth of the product, which remains high.

So if you wanna keep bitching about this, Brad, go ahead, have at it. But please refrain from mis-quoting me. It only serves to weaken your argument:
In short, you can't prove your point with your own comments, so instead, you mis-construe mine.

Pretty weak debating style.

In closing, let me prove you wrong on one other thing: In post #36, above, you said "jack has yet to produce a fact."

Well, here's one:

You can't make an argument without insulting people, or without lying about what they've actually posted here. Your argument that there's been this great decline in the quality of Osprey products has yet to be proven, and in that their packs were the most seen on the Trail thias past year, it would seem that there are all sorts of other folks who'd disagree with you on this matter.

You'd know this if you were out on the A.T. for any time last year, Brad.

Or the year before.

Or the year before.

Etc.

This is getting boring. And that's a fact.

Bye, Brad.

Alligator
12-29-2008, 15:05
OK, enough of the back and forth personal attacks. It's a pack review not a call for resumes;).

beas
12-29-2008, 20:50
Ladies and Gentleman,
Just to let you know I have purchased the pack this evening. It is a wonderful shade of mustard yellow. When I put it on I will think of Colonel Mustard which I met this last year on the A.T. and was a really good guy.
I hate that this turned into an insulting match. But I will agree with one thing said here. I felt attacked by Brad on the first page of this post.The post when he rephrased his comment from the first time he posted. Something to the effect of i guess I wasn't clear. Brad you should try to make a new approach to making your point. It seems very offensive in nature. I really appreciate your time however. Your points were well taken and I gave them carefull consideration. It appears that all packs are made somewhat similar atleast the material. So I thought I couldn't find anything much diferent as far as that goes. However I like certain aspects of the pack. Such as the suspension which if anyone reads I wil be toteing quite a load from time to time (obvious since I am looking for a 5000 cu in pack) I liked the external compartments and I feel they will stand behind their product.
The final factor was I had $130 in gift cards to that outfitte ith some other M/C cards which means I only came off $150 of my own money. Tis store only had grergory, mountainsmith, the one that starts with an A can't remember the name and Osprey. I believe I got what suited me.

Thanks again for the input and entertainment.

take-a-knee
12-29-2008, 23:29
Guess I wasn't clear enough in the above... YES, I've handled the Argon. I wouldn't buy one but that's just me.

I find the world of packs to be in a sad state of affairs recently.

IF I were in the market right now for a good quality backpack I'd be looking on ebay for a pre-2004 Osprey Crescent 75 or 90 or pre-2006 Arcteryx Bora 80

I also like the Granite Gear FX5500.

I have one of the early Lowe Alpine 1000 denier codura SF military packs you might be interested in.

mudhead
12-30-2008, 07:30
Can anyone give me some feed back on this pack? I have come to the realization I will not be an ultralight guy. I hike to camp, that makes my pack a tad bit fuller than most. I believe that I could pull off a tad bit smaller than the 5100 cui of this pack but I will be hopefully going with the boys 5 and 10 and some time and also know I will be carrying some of their stuff. Most of the time I will be solo with the dog and hammock HHULBP and the SS. I may never completly fill this pack but I hate to have the thing busting at the seems. I believe the tensioning straps will pull down any slack left in the pack area??
what do ya'll think?

Hope you like your new pack! Maybe down the road a bit you could start a new thread about what you do and do not like about this pack.

Key phrase was "new thread." (Have you stuck your head inside that pack yet? Smell new?)

Have fun getting that puppy dirty.

Jack Tarlin
12-30-2008, 16:12
Beas:

Enjoy your new pack and at some point let us know how it turned out for you!

BradMT
01-12-2009, 20:52
Here's an acquaintance's brand new Argon 85, first time out... great quality:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/brad300wsm/101_0257.jpg

beas
01-12-2009, 22:13
Ok I give? What is the white stuff? Not see anything else.
What happened with the pack, was it returned, any issues with return?
BEAS

BradMT
01-13-2009, 01:41
Ok I give? What is the white stuff? Not see anything else.
What happened with the pack, was it returned, any issues with return?
BEAS

That "white stuff" is fabric waterproof/coating delaminating on the first trip out.

Never seen that except on fabrics many, many years old...

Wags
01-13-2009, 15:19
i'm probably buying an aether in 2 weeks. brad stop posting b/c you're making me 2nd guess it