PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Contrail

austinlowes17
12-26-2008, 12:42
Last fall, during a hike, I was stupid and forgot my Big Agnes Seedhouse poles in the woods. I called Big Agnes and they said a new poles run about $80. The tent has some miles on it (rips and holes here and there) and instead of buying new poles, I decided to bite the bullet and get a new tent.

Right now i'm thinking of the tarp tent contrail. The biggest pro seems to be it's weight. I can't find a lighter tent, and there's no way i'm sleeping under a tarp.

I do have a couple concerns though.

Size- I'm six foot. Will the size be ample?
Storm Proof- Will i get drenched during a downpoar?
Vestibule- Is the vestibule big enough for my pack?

When staked and tied can the tent withstand moderate/ strong winds? From the pics it looks rather flimsy.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone can recommend their personal favorites that would be awesome too. Thanks.

wrongway_08
12-26-2008, 14:10
I love mine! I started out with a contrail, sent it home (due to adopting the dog) and bought hubba-Hubba during my thru-hike but ordered another Contrail towards the end.

I ordered the 2nd Contrail already sealed, never had a leak issue and had plenty of room for my gear inside with me.

On my winter hike last year, I had my dog sleeping with me in it - still no room issues.

Check the web site on the measurements to see if it'll be long enough.

You can leave your gear outside, under the vestibue.

Quoddy
12-26-2008, 14:16
I do have a couple concerns though.

Size- I'm six foot. Will the size be ample?
Storm Proof- Will i get drenched during a downpoar?
Vestibule- Is the vestibule big enough for my pack?

When staked and tied can the tent withstand moderate/ strong winds? From the pics it looks rather flimsy.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone can recommend their personal favorites that would be awesome too. Thanks.
I've used a Contrail for a couple of years and consider it an excellent design. To answer your questions:

I'm 6'1" and have loads of room.
It's waterproof as long as it's seam sealed. Otherwise a few drops may seep in. You can have your pack in the vestibule, even in the rain. Wind has never been a problem for me, but above tree line on a very windy day could cause some buffeting, that's for sure.

You might also check out the new TarpTent Sublite which is a sturdier design in more severe conditions, but it has limited room inside for gear.

garlic08
12-26-2008, 14:21
I'm sure "Mr Contrail", Franco, will be here soon and direct you to some of his great Contrail photos and storm tests. If not, do a search here on WB.

I've used a Contrail for over 3600 miles in the last two years, in 18 states, east and west. It's the best shelter I've ever used. And it still looks new.

You shouldn't have a size issue, the bathtub floor is pretty big. My 6'-7" friend uses one just fine. I have a small pack which fits inside as part of my pillow. I don't think the vestibule is large enough for anything but shoes. One big advantage of using the Contrail is it may lead to using a smaller, lighter pack.

All single-wall silnylon shelters will "mist" a little in extremely heavy downpours. I've experienced that maybe twice. You won't get soaked. The canopy and floor system of the Contrail is the best design I've ever seen for shedding water away from the floor. I've never had a single drop of rain get on the floor.

That being said, site selection with a single-wall tent becomes more critical--you need to pay more attention to possible condensation, and good drainage is important. I've never used a ground sheet with mine, but I pay more attention to the site.

All tarptents are best for long, light weight hikes, not so good for short hikes to base camps in bad weather. Condensation can dampen your day, so to speak, but after you carry it 1000 miles or so you'll love it.

Franco
12-26-2008, 18:44
With most lightweight gear you need to know how to use it, hence the preference for "bombproof" products. Bombproof is a code word for "really heavy" .
Recently we had some good strong wind here in Melbourne (850 calls to the emergency services for wind damage that day...) so I set up the Contrail in the school yard in front of my house with the side into the wind because as all the experts will tell you it can't take side winds.
The first picture is the best I could do with a "standard" set up. The second is the Franco set-up ...
(BTW, no I would not use it in Patagonia, it's a 3 season shelter, and yes the Sublite Sil should stand stronger winds)
And yes, there are several threads with pics on the Contrail right here at WB

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Contrail/Contrail-not.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Contrail/Contrail-full-help.jpg

Del Q
12-27-2008, 12:23
Big Agnes has a new super lightwright tent coming out in 2009. Had the Sl1, switched to Tarptent, happy with both. New BA is suposed to be sub 30 ounces with poles!

austinlowes17
12-28-2008, 18:13
How do single wall tents differ condensation wise? If this becomes a problem how do I combat it.

Big Agnes has a new tent coming out? That's news. Does anyone have a link to further information?

stag3
12-29-2008, 16:04
IMO, the Contrail is a great tent, but there is no tolerance for a sloppy set up--everything needs to be just about perfect. I would not use the Contrail in areas where the ground is rocky or setting the stakes is difficult. Last time I used mine we had to pitch all tents on platforms (like inside a shelter), and the Contrail was a disaster. IMO, the Rainbow is a much better choice.

88BlueGT
12-29-2008, 16:15
Going from what stag3 said, I guess it really depends on where you are going to use the tent at....

BrianLe
12-30-2008, 21:09
Stag3 said: "IMO, the Contrail is a great tent, but there is no tolerance for a sloppy set up--everything needs to be just about perfect. I would not use the Contrail in areas where the ground is rocky or setting the stakes is difficult. Last time I used mine we had to pitch all tents on platforms (like inside a shelter), and the Contrail was a disaster."

I think the latter issue (pitching on a platform) would be a factor for many, many tents, not just the Contrail. If the criteria includes "must be freestanding", then indeed the Contrail doesn't qualify. I've not done the AT, I'm guessing the reason you might pitch a tent inside a shelter would be insect protection (?) ... I guess I'd be inclined to just avoid the shelter in that case, but each to their own.

Tolerance for sloppy setup: I used my Contrail for most of my PCT hike this year, nearly 2000 miles or so, and camped on all sorts of terrain, and seldom had a problem. Typically when the soil won't support a stake or a stake can't be driven in I'll find a big enough rock to substitute. The setup doesn't have to be "perfect", but indeed should be "pretty good". After pitching it a few times a person gets pretty good at it, so IMO no problem there.

All that said, I'm sure the Rainbow is a fine choice; one very minor issue with the Contrail is that you can't sit all the way up without scooting your butt towards the door, and I think the rainbow can fit in a smaller overall footprint, but I also thinks it provides less enclosed space. Like so many things, a tradeoff. Note that if you want the rainbow to act as a freestanding tent, your weight tradeoff here depends on whether you already use trekking poles.

Brian Lewis