PDA

View Full Version : Backcountry sites closed and opened

Ashepabst
12-26-2008, 18:04
i found this posted on backpacker ... haven't been able to cofirm.

New and closed sites.

EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2009

BACKCOUNTRY CAMPSITES CLOSED PERMANENTLY:
Campsite #4 and campsite #7 on Ace Gap Trail
Campsite #21 on Sugarland Mountain Trail
Campsite #26 on Miry Ridge Trail

NEW BACKCOUNTRY CAMPSITES OPEN:
By reservation #21 on Huskey Gap Trail
By reservation #26 on Middle Prong Trail
By reservation #46 on Indian Creek Trail
Non-reservation #51 on Deep Low Gap Trail

The Park Trail Map will be updated on the Park website in February and printed maps will be revised and available in July 2009.

SUGARLANDS PERMIT OFFICE WILL BEGIN SENDING VISITORS TO THE NEW SITES AS THEY ARE READY FOR USE.

The closed campsites will continue to have a sign post and cable systems until the trail maps have been updated and are in use since some visitors familiar with the park will undoubtedly complete permits at self registration and camp in the old sites.

This information will be posted on the backcountry permit stations when the new campsites are ready for use.

Rcarver
12-26-2008, 18:23
I had heard that these moves were in the works. I just didn't think it would be soon. I'm going to miss 26 being up on Miry ridge. I am glad for the new campsites on Indian Creek and Deep Low Gap. These will help make some great loops in the area.

Pedaling Fool
12-26-2008, 18:31
Why are they closing the sites?

Ashepabst
12-28-2008, 22:38
Why are they closing the sites?

i've heard that 4 and 7 are on or near private property and that the miry ridge site sits amid dead hemlocks.

Blue Wolf
12-28-2008, 23:09
26 will not be opened the park service told me they had found an old septic tank on the site. the 24th of Jan a few of us will be at the new 21 on Husky Gap the old 21 was a rough and rocky site with un reliable water source.

Blue Wolf
12-28-2008, 23:11
26 will not be opened the park service told me they had found an old septic tank on the site. the 28th of Jan a few of us will be at the new 21 on Husky Gap the old 21 was a rough and rocky site with un reliable water source.

aaronthebugbuffet
12-31-2008, 06:23
Interesting
Thanks for posting that.

Farr Away
12-31-2008, 12:48
26 will not be opened the park service told me they had found an old septic tank on the site. the 28th of Jan a few of us will be at the new 21 on Husky Gap the old 21 was a rough and rocky site with un reliable water source.

We liked 21 when we stayed there a couple years ago. We all had hammocks, but another hiker who was there that night had a tent.

Most comfortable site for cooking that I've run across so far - almost like having a real table.