PDA

View Full Version : Interesting 2003 Thru-hiker Stats

TJ aka Teej
04-14-2004, 10:25
A recent thread evolved into a discussion about the validity and quality
of statisics gathered regarding AT hikers in the year 2003.
Here are the numbers I have from the counts at the Kennebec River
crossing at Caratunk, from the data collected by Rangers at Baxter Park,
and from the numbers published by the A.T.C.
----------------------------------------------------------
ATC 2003 Totals of Hikers reporting in;
Springer Mtn., Ga. -- 1,750
Neels Gap, Ga. -- 1,400
Fontana Dam, N.C. -- 1,028
Harpers Ferry, W.Va. -- 741
Katahdin, Maine -- 352
Southbound Katahdin -- 291 Springer -- 45
Flipflops 26 Reported finishing.
Sectioneers 80 Reported finishing.
[Source Appalachian Trail Conference]
Where the ATC got these numbers;
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/thru_hike/facts.html#
--------------------------------------------------------
In 2003 the New England Outdoor Center ferried 1238 hikers across.
[Source Matthew Polstein of NEOC]
Season Totals
Thru 721
N-S 204
S-N 519
Day Hikers - 77
Weekenders - 65
Long Distance
N-S 39
S-N 11
Section Hikers
N-S 137
S-N 137
Flip Floppers
N-S 21
S-N 17
Time of day
AM 853
PM 395
----------------------------------------------------------
Here's the season ending AT hiker stats that were collected at Katahdin Stream Campground in Baxter State Park.
[Compiled by Ranger Bruce White]
After 10/20/03 there were few Rangers around to collect data, they move on to other tasks after the overnight camping season ends on October 15th. So few AT hikers finishing after this date were counted. The number of AT hikers is definitely higher than this data shows, because not all hikers check in with the Ranger when they get to Katahdin. The last thruhiker Ranger White spoke with was on 11/01. When the Rangers offer the ATC 2000 miler certificate application to AT hikers at Katahdin, only about 3/4s of them take it.

AT SOUTH-193,
AT NORTH-541,
AT FLIP-FLOP- 60,
AT SECT. SOUTH- 119,
AT SECT. NORTH- 201
Total for the year 1114+.

Moon Monster
04-14-2004, 12:59
Thanks for compiling these in one place TJ! I like statistics. I also like speculating and pontificating.
This has been speculated here many times before, but I think these numbers indeed show that a lot more people walk huge portions of the trail in a given season and casually call themselves "thru-hikers" than those who when all is said and done claim ATC 2000-miler status. I never wittnessed anything close to an 80% drop-out rate in 2003 of people who walked for 6 months (as opposed to 2,172.6 mile white blazers); I always thought it was more like 50% instead.

Also an interesting note: ATC's extrapolation of the SOBO Katahdin count is ~100 higher than the number who checked in at Baxter. I'm sure a bunch of hikers miss/ignore the rangers, but I also bet ATC's expected 30% drop-out by the Kennebec is a little high.