PDA

View Full Version : rookie hiker, advise needed.

mcheyne242
12-26-2008, 23:33
So I'm new on the AT but I wanted to get a couple of friends together after graduation to take about a 5-6 day hike from Harper's Ferry to either Caledonia SP or Pine Grove Furnace. I would like to get out on the trail this spring on a could day hikes to get some experience. Is there any other advise I could get like how to prepare, what to bring, what I should expect? Thanks

Runsalone
12-26-2008, 23:40
New to the AT or to hiking altogether?

snowhoe
12-26-2008, 23:49
Dude everyone in here are experts no one is wrong you will learn alot and quick.

mcheyne242
12-26-2008, 23:58
well.....I have done lots of hiking but never anything very intense before

Captain
12-27-2008, 03:12
Dude everyone in here are experts no one is wrong you will learn alot and quick.

i like that answer

Lone Wolf
12-27-2008, 03:14
no such thing as an expert walker

buckwheat
12-27-2008, 04:29
no such thing as an expert walker

Ahem,

I have been walking for 44 years sir. Not everyone has that level of experience. :cool:

Marta
12-27-2008, 09:12
So I'm new on the AT but I wanted to get a couple of friends together after graduation to take about a 5-6 day hike from Harper's Ferry to either Caledonia SP or Pine Grove Furnace. I would like to get out on the trail this spring on a could day hikes to get some experience. Is there any other advise I could get like how to prepare, what to bring, what I should expect? Thanks

Have you checked out the Articles section yet? There are a number of useful ones on various aspects of planning a hike. They have been written by different people, so you will get different takes on gear, preparation, food, etc.

My main piece of advice is to get your stuff ready and then take it on an overnighter car camping type trip, where you can bail easily. Take a notebook and jot down suggestions for yourself of things you did right, and things you should have done differently.

Hooch
12-27-2008, 09:46
no such thing as an expert walkerIf you can walk without falling over most of the time, you're an expert walker. :D

Lyle
12-27-2008, 10:33
My advice:

- Read the articles section as already suggested.
- Ask questions about anything you don't understand
- Put together a hypothetical gear list and post it for comment
- Buy your gear (you can probably use a lot of what you already have, clothing wise)
- Schedule your shake-down weekend (any of your friends have any experience? hike with them if they do)
- Once you have your date, you could seek a "mentor" here on WB to go with you. Sometimes, when you are first getting into hiking (or any other endeavor) you can become overwhelmed by the options. It can be easier to find one experienced person to get you started, then experiment on your own. Very little of the information you will be given here on WB is wrong, but if you listen to all of it, you will find MANY conflicts.

Ask away at any questions. Reading the articles will let you know what to ask about, kinda their purpose. You've picked a nice gentle area to start out in, probably won't seem like it to you tho'. :D

Added: If you are interested in a fun book to read that covers a lot of how-to information, Check out Colin Fletcher's Complete Walker IV . Not the most up-to-date gear wise, but it still contains vast amounts of knowledge about what is important, plus it's a fun read. Highly Recommended to anyone, new or old, if you haven't read it.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Walker-IV-Colin-Fletcher/dp/0375703233

Have fun!!!

Kirby
12-27-2008, 15:41
Yeah, and eventually you'll become one of those crazy people intent on walking every inch of it.

Who the hell would want to do that?

Kirby

Mags
12-27-2008, 16:30
I am not sure if you are new to backpacking or just longer hikes?

If you are new to backpacking, I organize a beginners backpacking trip and hand out this doc:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/Backpacking-A-Beginners-Primer.html

Goes over the nuts and bolts and may be a good way to start off your first backpacking trip. It is aimed more for Colorado (colder and higher, but drier than VA), but the basics should apply to almost anywhere.

Marta's idea of a car camping trip first to test out the gear is also a wise one. Plus, it is fun. :)

Good luck!

mcheyne242
12-29-2008, 01:14
thanks for the advise guys, those articles are great.

Gaiter
12-29-2008, 03:42
there is a LOT of information here, read as much as you can, categorizing them as you read 'what is not a good idea', 'what is a good idea, but not for me', and 'what is a good idea that has a high potential of working for me'
don't be afraid to ask questions (we don't bite...too hard ;) )
and have fun!