PDA

View Full Version : Storing your vehicle

buckwheat
12-27-2008, 05:08
When planning an extended hike (say, three months or longer) ... how have you stored your vehicle? Extended sitting there isn't good for a car (I'm told by those in the know). So, what did you do?

All advices kindly appreciated.

Cheers,
Buckwheat

fiddlehead
12-27-2008, 05:21
I store mine every year for 10 months at a time. The only thing i do is disconnect the battery. (i do keep it in my garage)

THis topic was just discussed a few months ago. Try the search feature for posts where people seem to do a lot more than i do. (my present car is fine and i will say i had to replace a tire this year although i don't know if it was in regards to the storage) I used to do more, but one year forgot and it was fine (like steel wool in my exhaust (tail) pipe to keep the mice out)

buckwheat
12-27-2008, 05:40
Thanks fiddle.

I'd heard that just letting the car sit for that long would probably ruin it owing to all the fluids settling.

4eyedbuzzard
12-27-2008, 07:35
You're best bet would be to have someone take it for a 15 to 20 minute drive once per week or so. This weekly trip should be long enough to heat up the exhaust system to evaporate off the condensation that forms in the exhaust system. Have them run the air conditioner if the vehicle is equipped with one as well(there is oil in the refrigerant which helps keeps the compressor seals lubricated). This weekly drive would also help keep an oil film on cylinder walls and drivetrain components, help prevent brake cylinders and/or calipers from siezing up, keep the battery charged, etc. Mechanical devices like cars don't like to sit unused for long periods of time--parts start to stick, lubricants get gummy, seals dry out, etc.

Edit: Wanted to add to perhaps use a sunshade if it's parked outside in the summer. Cars become pretty good solar oven at times. Nothing like a cracked, warped dashboard or sun damaged upholstery to ruin your day when you come home.

Then again, all this is BS according to some... Your choice.

Blue Jay
12-27-2008, 08:20
I've left different types of cars for over 6 months many times. I have a Harley I've left for 6 months each year since 1972. Not one single problem. In the past carburetors use to gum up due to the gas evaporating there. If you still have a carburator (few still do), you have to get the gass out of it. Remove the battery and have some one charge it once or twice during the spring and summer, monthly during the winter. All of the the other BS people say you have to do is just that, BS:eek:.

Blue Jay
12-27-2008, 08:21
I almost forgot, change the oil when you get back.

garlic08
12-27-2008, 10:33
I sure am jealous of those who can just forget about a car for that long. I'm the engineer-type who needs to baby the machine. I have a friend drive it at least once a month on an errand, for all the reasons noted above. Especially if you store it in place where dew forms, it's possible to get a film of oxidation on exposed metal, including cylinder walls, brake surfaces, transmission and differential, etc. It's not severe and the car won't seize or blow up or anything, it'll just add a little extra wear and tear. I have opened up an old differential and seen rust on the upper part, clean where sitting in oil. Good advice, whatever you do, to change the oil when you get back.

Deadeye
12-27-2008, 11:16
At least add Sta-bil to the gas tank, and let it run through the system. It will prevent gumming and varnish deposits.

rhjanes
12-27-2008, 11:30
fuel stabilizer. Fill the gas tank. Add stabilizer. Drive car.
wash car. change all the fluids and run it again. Disconnect the battery. If you have a trickle charger, put that onto the battery. Crack each window down about 1/8 inch. air up the tires. Cover it if you can. but not if it is outside. Wind blowing the cover, will scratch up the paint terrible. Inside parking is best.
BEST/easiest thing? Have that family member or friend, drive it about every other week. Once a month minimum. I'd say 20 minutes to 30 at least. Driving. not just started. The whole idea is to get every part hot. Exhaust, engine, transmisison, gears....even the shocks have oil and seals which can dry out/absorb moisture.

all of the above is based on 20 years of having collector cars. I drive them once a month and do the battery chargers all the time.

DavidNH
12-27-2008, 12:31
When planning an extended hike (say, three months or longer) ... how have you stored your vehicle? Extended sitting there isn't good for a car (I'm told by those in the know). So, what did you do?

All advices kindly appreciated.

Cheers,
Buckwheat

If at all possible, find a friend or family member living close to you and leave car with him/her.

Worldwide
12-28-2008, 21:39
The trick is to get a job that offers a company car drive that to the trailhead. Park it there start your hike call HR and quit. Then tell them where they can pick up their car!

Seriously, you may wish to relieve the tension from the belts and store them out of direct sunlight.

Worldwide

KG4FAM
12-28-2008, 21:51
Seriously, you may wish to relieve the tension from the belts and store them out of direct sunlight.I had my car stored for about 14 months and then the alternator belt stretched twice. If you don't have someone to run it every now and again this is a good idea, but just be prepared to swap it out if you leave them on.

buckwheat
12-29-2008, 06:12
The trick is to get a job that offers a company car drive that to the trailhead. Park it there start your hike call HR and quit. Then tell them where they can pick up their car!

Dude, that's brilliant. If I can somehow combine that with the whole "expense account used to buy my gear" trick, I'm freakin' golden.

OldStormcrow
12-29-2008, 10:39
If you are storing your vehicle for a really long period of time you may want to check out the cartalk.com website. It's a regular "thread" on there and they have some good info on this.