PDA

View Full Version : Fort Mtn Spur Trail off of Foothills Trail?

g8trh8tr
12-27-2008, 13:39
Just wondering if anyone has hiked the Fork Mtn Spur Trail off of Foothills Trail and could provide input. It is posted as 12.2 miles and connects Burrells Ford Road to Sloan Bridge on the Foothills Trail. It is supposedly blazed Reddish Orange. I want to use it as part of a Foothills Trail loop and wanted to know how well it is marked, possible camp sites, etc..Thanks.

FatMan
12-27-2008, 14:37
I assume you are talking about the Fork Mountain Trail. It has rust blazes and does run from Sloan Bridge to the Bad Creek trail. The Bad Creek trail will get you to the Chattooga River trail which will get you to Burrells Ford. 12-13 miles makes sense for all segments to Burrells Ford. I have not hiked all of the trails but the parts that I have hiked are sparsely blazed and not very well maintained. Lots of ducking under Rhododendron on the Bad Creek and Chattooga trails. However, that was about five years ago so I cannot speak for the conditions now. IIRC there are plenty of camping opportunities.

g8trh8tr
12-27-2008, 15:33
Oops...Yes I did mean the Fork Mountain trail...Thanks FatMan and if anyone else has experience with this trail please advise...

small change
12-28-2008, 11:34
Go Noles!
Here's a trip report on the loop you are talking about. Its best to park in the lot at Burrells Ford. The hike begins across the Burrells Ford parking area on the Foothills Trail and immediately climbs gradually up Medlin Mountain for about 3 miles to the crest and then eases and descends down and crosses the Fish Hatchery Road. Trail continues to Sloan Bridge and Hwy 107 where there is a picnic area and rest rooms at about 7 miles. . There is little or no water between Burrells Ford and Sloan Bridge but plenty for the next few miles. At Sloan Bridge do not cross the highway but follow north about 50 yards and go left back into the woods on the marked Fork Mountain Trail. You will follow a small creek for a short distance. This is an easy but less maintained trail and you will enter the Ellicott Rock Wilderness area after a mile or so. The hike is easy with some small streams for the next mile or so. Camping areas are available at the 9 mile and 11 mile mark. I went to the 11 mile mark which is on a gap with great camping area but no water. The 9 mile mark has a better spot with a creek.
The second day was mostly down hill for 5-5.5 miles to the Chattooga River where it picked up the Chattooga River Trail. This part of the trail was not maintained very well and at times I felt like I was bushwacking down the hill. Since it was early morn, I got very wet from the dew on the bushes. No big deal. Once I hit the river I followed it south (on the east side of the river) to the Burrells Ford bridge. There were a few places along this part of the trail that were hazardous because of the blowdowns and the trail being high over the river with a sharp dropoff. Be careful here. When reaching the bridge, take the gravel road about .5 miles back to the parking area.
I only saw one person on this trail until I got about 1 mile from finishing. I did this trip in July and it was pretty warm during the day but still cooled off nicely at night. I would recommend doing this in the fall or spring. All in all, it was a great hike. I went solo because I wanted a wilderness hike and this fit the bill. Even though it was only 19 miles and one night, I felt like I was completely by myself (which I was).
I recommend it as a great two day get away.

g8trh8tr
12-28-2008, 15:05
Small Change and FatMan....Thanks for all the input. Leaving early Monday morning and using the Fork Mountain trail/Foothills Trail as part of a 30 mile loop with my son.

Mother Nature
12-28-2008, 20:19
Small Change and FatMan....Thanks for all the input. Leaving early Monday morning and using the Fork Mountain trail/Foothills Trail as part of a 30 mile loop with my son.

Look forward to an update. Sounds interesting and something that Smokestack and I would enjoy. We live close by and have done the Foothills Trail.

Have fun

MN

small change
12-28-2008, 21:59
Looking forward to a trip report. Where are you starting from to make it 30 miles? You must be an FSU grad. We've got something in common.

g8trh8tr
12-28-2008, 23:50
Small Change...My son and I are actually starting at Upper Whitewater Falls...From there we are hiking the Foothills Trail to Sloan Bridge where it intersects the Fork Mountain Trail. Hiking the Fork Mountain trail until it reconnects with the Foothills Trail at Burrells Ford. Then we are taking the Foothills Trail back to Upper Whitewater Falls. The last 4-5 miles from Sloan Bridge back to Upper Whitewater Falls will be backtracking. I will let you know how it goes when I return. Awesome that you are a FSU grad..Go Noles!

Nearly Normal
12-29-2008, 04:54
When you cross 107 at Sloan Bridge there is a picnic table and port-o-let that is usually kept up. The Fork Mountain spur is up the road toward NC a few yards (50-100).
I have hiked this section many times. I consider it the finest hike in SC.
PM if you want details on accesses, camp sites not in the guide.
Have fun.

g8trh8tr
01-02-2009, 17:53
Hike went well. Fork Mountain Trail is a very nice trail but it is poorly marked. Beautiful area though and the trail is fairly easy to follow. The major intersections with the Foothills Trail, camping areas and other spur trails were marked pretty well though. Actually saw a snake sunning on the trail on 12/30, that was a bit of a surprise. Overall the terrain was pretty easy with no major climbs of any length. I definitely recommend it.