PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for leaving the trail

flyfisher
04-14-2004, 14:35
I was impressed with the number of hikers at the 100 mile mark who were already having problems on the AT in March this year. I searched the archives to see if we had previously had a poll to find out why people had left the trail.

It may be that many who left the trail no longer post here... so I believe it is necessary to have hikers post about themselves or someone they specificly knew by face to get information. (I.e. don't post about someone you heard about, but rather about the person you knew the most about).

Since each person will only have one entry in the poll, I'd ask you to answer the questions either about yourself or a pretty close friend.

Jaybird
06-21-2004, 10:40
OUCH...my aching knees....

like most of those anxious to start the A.T....we get in too big of a hurry @ the beginning & practically run the first few miles....sprinting up & down hills, mountains, & climbs....giving us the inevitable KNEE (& shin) PROBLEMS!

i'm NOT a doctor... (nor do i play one on TV)..but, after realizing even the "20-somethings" get knee & shin problems when they do these STUPID things....i've decided to slow down, hike my own hike, so i can continue to hike & enjoy myself for many years to come!

Buckingham
07-29-2005, 14:52
The only reason I ever leave the trail is because eventually I have to go back to work. Why can't I just hit the damn lottery!?!?!?!

jackiebolen
07-29-2005, 23:15
I got bit by a tick and had to quit after 1500 miles because I got ehrilichiosis. By then I kind of hated the hiking but I wasn't going to quit because I'd made it so far so it actually worked out quite good.

fiddlehead
07-29-2005, 23:26
The only times i didn't finish a hike i started was 1st in 1977 when i ran out of money (2 of us made it to Del Water Gap on $700) that was before the time of credit cards unless you owned property or something. I would've borrowed the money if i could.
The only other time was when my father died and after the funeral (and some time at home), i wasn't into the speed hike i had been doing anymore. (2002)

Lone Wolf
03-19-2009, 03:52
i leave the trail for beer and buffets. and to watch the occaisional golf match

Tin Man
03-19-2009, 06:57
when the motor home/support vehicle dies, turns out being repeat thru-hiker means nothing/no respect/no special treatment and the difficulty finding flaccid fries, but then again said hiker may appear again soon, too early to say

Frick Frack
03-19-2009, 08:36
Of all the SOBOs we met on our trip I only remember 2 who quit because they became bored and lost intrest. A few got injuries and took time off but eventually got back on to finish.

ASUGrad
03-19-2009, 15:01
The law found us.