PDA

View Full Version : New Hampshire bound

johnnybgood
12-28-2008, 01:19
My brother and his wife are moving to Jefferson , New Hampshire in June and have asked me to help in the move. Do some hiking in the Whites:banana Explore other blaze hikes :bananaPet some Moose....not so fast.:eek: Could someone tell me how far I would be from nearest AT trailhead?

Pokey2006
12-28-2008, 01:40
Easy to get to the AT in Gorham, Franconia Notch and Crawford Notch from there. But there's great hiking even closer, around Mt. Cabot. You'll also be close to the "backside" of Mt. Washington and the Presidentials, with lots of trails and cheaper lodging than the AMC offers. Many options for hiking around there, but in June, bring your bug spray! And keep an eye on the snow reports, in case the snow is slow to melt on the high peaks.

Tinker
12-28-2008, 15:16
Mts. Monroe, Madison, and Jefferson are nearby, too. Big mountains without a train and road (like Washington). Avoid the crush of crowds by going midweek or in the shoulder seasons. Can be wet and icy then, though. The Randolph Mountain Club operates two enclosed structures on the northern slope of Mt. Adams, a mostly enclosed one at a lower elevation, and an open front shelter as well. Nice to have nearby if weather gets bad.

Slo-go'en
12-28-2008, 16:50
They will be a few miles west of where I spend the summer time in Randolph. You will be about a 10 mininute drive from 150 miles of hiking trails in Randolph alone. There are also a number of trails which start right in Jefferson. An overnight hike up to Crag Camp would be well worth the effort.

June is black fly season though. Jefferson is getting to be a pretty poplular place, there are many more lights down in that area visable from Mt Adams at night then there were 20 years ago.

Blissful
12-28-2008, 17:53
Beautiful place to hike. Have fun and bring Deet for lower elevations.

(we are there for a visit and skiing in two days)

johnnybgood
12-28-2008, 23:17
Great !! I can't wait . Thanks for the advice everyone.

peakbagger
12-29-2008, 09:11
The Coos Trail runs across a big chunk of Jefferson. Parts of it are a road walk.

Dependent upon where they are in town, the closest access to the trail is on Jefferson Notch Road via the Caps Ridge Trail. Jefferson Notch Road is the highest public road in NH (not very high compared to down south, but then again they dont get covered with several feet of snow)

If we have a good winter, plan on taking a run over to Tuckermans Ravine to watch the skiers ( yes there is still some snow hanging around in June in the Whites).

Early June is definitely black fly season and it can stretch out into the end fo the month.

A very popular hiking event on the weekend closest to June 21st is the Presdidential Traverse where hikers hike all the presidentials between RT 2 and RT 302 in one day.