PDA

View Full Version : Titanium Cup

TheKO
12-28-2008, 10:44
I got a Snow Peak Double-Wall Titanium Cup 450 from my daughter as a Christmas gift. The warning label reads -

"Do not place the product directly on a flame. It may cause deformation and discoloration. The pressure inside the double-wall structure will build up which may result in the product bursting."

Does this mean I cannot use the cup to heat up hot water on my MSR Pocket Rocket? Is all Titanium cookware double walled and is it possible for it to burst (or explode?)

Inquiring minds want to know.

Lyle
12-28-2008, 10:55
Not all titanium is double wall. No double wall can be used for cooking for the same reason, it's meant to insulate and keep your beverage hot.

Panzer1
12-28-2008, 11:01
most titanium cups are single wall and can be placed on a flame. But I heard that the double wall cups cannot be placed on a flame, meaning you cannot heat up water in this cup. However you can use your pot to heat up the water and then pour the hot water from pot into cup. The double wall will keep the water hot longer. This would be very useful when it is cold out.

Panzer

bigcranky
12-28-2008, 11:05
DO NOT PUT A DOUBLE WALL MUG ON A FLAME. It can blow up the mug. The double wall is meant to insulate a warm beverage and keep it warm longer.

In my personal opinion, a single-wall mug is more versatile. I carry a homemade cozy to keep my drink warm, but I can put the mug on the stove.

Snow Peak makes a 450ml single-wall mug. But, I think the 600ml or 700ml is more useful.

Panzer1
12-28-2008, 11:13
I don't know if you would want to place any mug on a flame because if you did, i'm guessing it could burn your lips when you tried to drink from it.

Panzer

weary
12-28-2008, 12:38
I got a Snow Peak Double-Wall Titanium Cup 450 from my daughter as a Christmas gift. The warning label reads -

"Do not place the product directly on a flame. It may cause deformation and discoloration. The pressure inside the double-wall structure will build up which may result in the product bursting."

Does this mean I cannot use the cup to heat up hot water on my MSR Pocket Rocket? Is all Titanium cookware double walled and is it possible for it to burst (or explode?)

I would thank your daughter for her thoughtful gift, but also heed the warnings of the manufacturer, both because the company doesn't want its customers hurt nor its product damaged, and because its argument makes logical sense. It doesn't make sense for a manufacturer to issue false warnings, or warnings based on speculation. Besides heating stuff in an insulated cup wastes fuel.

Weary

Frosty
12-28-2008, 12:45
the company doesn't want its customers hurtMore likely the company wants to head off any lawsuits.

Besides heating stuff in an insulated cup wastes fuel.Straight to the heart of the matter, along with drinking hot liquids from a metal cup. Sometimes the most logical is the most overlooked.

Marta
12-28-2008, 13:56

Heed the warning. A double-walled cup has a sealed airspace or vacuum between the layers. Putting it over a stove will, at the very lease, destroy the seal. It would be something like putting a stainless steel thermos on a stove in order to heat up the contents--not effective for heating the contents, and will damage or destroy the thermos.

Most titanium cups and cookware are NOT double-walled, and are fine to cook in.

Panzer1
12-28-2008, 14:09
I got a Evernew Titanium double wall cup for Christmas. I made tea this morning and the cup seems to insulate very well. After pouring boiling water in the cup the outside of the cup gets warm but not hot. it has insulated handles for holding in the winter. They also warn not to heat on a stove. Their warning says:

NOT FOR COOKING! NEVER use double wall mugs over an open flame!!!
http://www.antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=ECA354&cat=99

Panzer

Tinker
12-28-2008, 14:57
I don't know if you would want to place any mug on a flame because if you did, i'm guessing it could burn your lips when you tried to drink from it.

Panzer

Sierra Cups with a wire around the brim won't burn your lips (unless you take them directly off the heat source and immediatly try to drink from them.

I have serious doubts that a double walled cup will keep your beverages hot or cold for that much longer than single walled ones. The space between the walls is not filled with an insulation - it's just a dead air space. Plus, since heat always rises - unless you have a cover on the cup more heat will rise from the surface of the liquid than could pass through the wall(s).
As usually is the case, someone did a quantitative experiment with a thermometer involving the freezer in his home. His conclusion is where I got my opinion above. That, plus personal experience. I'd rather have a cozy. Find something NOT made of aluminum and fashion (or modify) a cozy for it, or use a double walled plastic cup with a cover.
The reason I say NOT made of aluminum is I tried using a shorty soda (pop) can with a foam beer cozy and a snap on plastic lid normally used for cold beverages. The lid would heat up, expand, and loosen, and if you tried drinking directly out of the can you would burn your lips.
Necessity is the mother of invention.
Inventing can be a mother. :o

gaga
12-28-2008, 15:18
but if you really want to put that on a stove, you can make 2 small holes on the exterior upper rim of the cup to release the pressure, just a suggestion, the decision is up to you :)

Johnny Thunder
12-28-2008, 15:31

Panzer

Titanium has interesting heat transfer properties...it won't be a problem drinking from a cook-pot or mug unless a. the liquid comes all the way to the top or b. the flame recently touched the drinking surface. If you wait a few seconds it cools. Titanium is just weird like that.

Anyone know why?

4eyedbuzzard
12-28-2008, 16:40
Titanium has interesting heat transfer properties...it won't be a problem drinking from a cook-pot or mug unless a. the liquid comes all the way to the top or b. the flame recently touched the drinking surface. If you wait a few seconds it cools. Titanium is just weird like that.

Anyone know why?

Best quick guess: Compared to other metals traditionally used for cookware, Ti has low thermal conductivity, and low mass compared to its surface area. Convection losses to the air around the metal that is not in contact with the hot water are greater than the conduction gain through the metal from the areas that are submerged in hot water.

Mrs Baggins
12-28-2008, 17:01
I've put my single wall cup directly on my Pocket Rocket to reheat the contents and had no problems with it being too hot to drink from.

weary
12-28-2008, 17:23
More likely the company wants to head off any lawsuits.....
Well, that too. Actually, I don't know much about titanium. My trail cup is made of plastic, holds 12 ounces, and weighs one ounce. It's also not good on a stove.

When my folks died 20+ years ago, their house contained a dozen of them. All once contained margarine. My mother, a World War II shipyard machinist, earlier and later an elementary school teacher, was an avid camper, spending 12 weeks in the White Mountains almost every summer for 50 plus years. She collected things like margarine containers that could double as free camping gear.

I shared the cups with the two siblings that still backpack. They are great for coffee, juice, or a bit of bourbon around a campfire.

Weary

Panzer1
12-28-2008, 20:41
I got this double wall titanium mug for christmas. I've been using it all day. Now I think I can detect a faint metallic taste when I drink from it. Is that just me? I may go back to my old free plastic mug.

Panzer

JERMM
12-28-2008, 20:53

Your daughter gave you a very nice gift. If you want to use the mug over a direct flame I suggest you find out where she purchased it and see if you can trade for a single wall. I use the Snow Peak 700 "single wall" mug for all my cooking over direct flame and I use it to drink from.

Wise Old Owl
12-28-2008, 21:13

Anyone know why?

It doesn't transfer heat well perhaps retain heat, not as good as Aluminum. I finished making several alcy stoves to go straight to a Titanium mug and finally gave up because I can heat a 12 oz beer can faster and more efficiently than a small single wall Titanium handled mug. Titanium is overated and not essential for the trail. Honest, I wish I could get my money back on this one. Something about the thickness of the metal - no I cannot back up what I am posting - it just shows up in the thermometers in a side by side test.

I like Mrs Baggins thought.

sarbar
12-28-2008, 22:31
I got this double wall titanium mug for christmas. I've been using it all day. Now I think I can detect a faint metallic taste when I drink from it. Is that just me? I may go back to my old free plastic mug.

Panzer

Well....it is metal :rolleyes:

Egads
12-28-2008, 22:50
I joined the UL Weenie parade today with my first Ti purchase...a 700 ml single wall mug/pot from REI.

Panzer1
12-29-2008, 00:25
It doesn't transfer heat well perhaps retain heat, not as good as Aluminum.

So maybe on a long hike even though the titanium is lighter that aluminum you end using so much more fuel that its not worth it.

Panzer

brooklynkayak
12-30-2008, 10:32
Some facts:
1) A double walled titanium cup, even modified with holes, will be a pore cup to cook with. It isn't designed for cooking.
2) The dead air between the walls is a very good insulator. Dead air is what makes down so warm.
3) Titanium has less of a metalic taste than almost any other metal, including stainless steel.
4) Titanium doesn't conduct heat as well as aluminum so doesn't burn the lips as much.

Trade it or sell it and get a single wall mug, if you are looking for one to cook with.
I personally couldn't use a mug to cook with as it is way too low volume. Maybe a 1.5 liter mug:-)

JAK
12-30-2008, 12:18

PanzerMaybe you are just missing the taste of plastic. ;)

Seriously though, we are very good at tasting stuff in water.
My preference is the taste of cold water in stainless steel.

JAK
12-30-2008, 12:27
p.s. I heat up water in my stainless steel mug all the time when I don't bring my Kelly Kettle. Yes I do burn my lips now and then, but I do that when I pour it from the Kelly Kettle also. I think the real trick is to let it cool down a but, and test it before you slurp it. Still, I burn my tongue at least once a year. It's actually quite serious, but you gotta laugh sometimes at how deliberately determined we can be at being stupid. lol

fehchet
12-30-2008, 16:04
I have a good sized titanium cup (Snow Peak) I use for coffee or tea. It is single wall so I can put it back on the heat when the hot beverage cools. Also, watch out until you develope a system to test the drinking edge of the cup with your hand before you reintroduce the cup to your lips.

Panzer1
12-30-2008, 16:36
still, I think the best way to make a hot beverage like tea or coffee is to heat the water in your pot and then pour the hot water from the pot into your cup. I you think about it, this is the way you do it at home. It makes sense to do it this way. Then there is no issue with the side of the cup being to hot from the flame to burn your lips.

Panzer

Chance09
01-06-2009, 16:26

Panzer

I have the single wall snow peak 450 and even with the rim around the top I found that sometimes it does get hot. So i copied the heineken keg can idea of putting a livestrong bracelet around the top to keep from burning my lips, so far it works great.

Wise Old Owl
01-06-2009, 21:56
Still the most expensive coffee cup on the planet. Slightly overated and campy.

atman
06-28-2009, 22:20
I have found a silicone band, of the type used to promote various causes (LiveStrong etc) to work quite nicely around the rim of a single-wall titanium mug, to prevent the lip burn. Your choice of color, can double to hold a rolled-down plastic bag closed, and can be removed for heating the mug over open flame.

Double-walls seem like more money and weight for less utility than this combination.

hikingshoes
06-28-2009, 23:02
Due to your daughter who got it for you as a gift.Id keep it and use it for hot drinks so it wouldnt my your daughter feel bad.Thats just me.:)

Dr O
06-28-2009, 23:32

Panzer

When removed from the flame the cup will almost immediately reach temperature equilibrium with the liquid inside it.

Dr O
06-28-2009, 23:36
So maybe on a long hike even though the titanium is lighter that aluminum you end using so much more fuel that its not worth it.

Panzer

aluminum is lighter than titanium.

LiamNZ
06-29-2009, 01:39
aluminum is lighter than titanium.
1kg of Titanium weighs the same as 1kg of alumninium. It's just that titanium is 60% more dense than aluminium.

Nasty Dog Virus
06-29-2009, 05:56
I only carry the MSR Titanium Tea Kettle...
http://cascadedesigns.com/MSR/Cookware/Fast-And-Light-Cookware/Titan-Kettle/product as my pot/cup. It cools very fast. After making coffee in the morning, I have to wait longer for the coffee to cool than the pot before I can drink it. Fuel canister for pocket rocket fits in perfectly. My alcohol stove fits inside perfectly also if thats the route I take...great all-around pot/cup...

Allen1901
06-29-2009, 08:28
Aluminum burns Your mouth, Stainless Steel burns Your food, Titanium burns Your wallet.

Cheers!

Dr O
06-29-2009, 09:21
1kg of Titanium weighs the same as 1kg of alumninium. It's just that titanium is 60% more dense than aluminium.

1 lb of bricks weighs the same as 1 lb of feathers too, it's just that the bricks are denser than the feathers.

jrnj5k
06-29-2009, 15:05
titanium weighs more than aluminum but is harder. It can therefore be made thinner and thus a lighter product can be created....

When did we forget basic science or for that matter common sense?

:):):)

Dr O
06-29-2009, 16:04
titanium weighs more than aluminum but is harder. It can therefore be made thinner and thus a lighter product can be created....

When did we forget basic science or for that matter common sense?

:):):)

Aluminum pots as thin as a Heineken can are used, does titanium offer something thinner?

VTATHiker
01-18-2010, 14:40
So its been a while since this thread has been used but it's on the same topic that I need help with. I want to use a single walled titanium cup/mug (a small one like the snow peak 450) but I don't want any sort of flip handles. The reason for that is I want to make a snug cozy for it.

1) Has anyone seen a Ti mug like that without handles? I'm tired of looking.
2) Those of you who have made a cozy for a Ti cup, did it just go around the handles or did you find another solution?

Thanks for the help!

George
01-18-2010, 14:49
the handles would be easy to remove on most TI cups

George
01-18-2010, 14:51
a true gram weinie would do this right away

Connie
01-19-2010, 05:01
Snow Peak has titanium mugs (http://www.snowpeak.com/lux/kitchen/mugs/stacking.html), no handles.

Maybe not. Are these double-wall? Hmm... :-? Double wall.

These are single wall:

http://www.snowpeak.com/back/cookware/titanium.html

Titanium Bowl
STW-003T

http://www.snowpeak.com/back/mugs.cups/single.html

wire handles at the top (rim)
Titanium Snigle Wall Cup II
MG-002

wire handles at the top (rim)
Titanium Backpackers Cup
E-104

I have
Titanium Backpackers Cup
SMG-002

daddytwosticks
01-19-2010, 08:30
I have a bubble-wrap cozy on my SP-600 mug. Put two slits where the handles hinge. Snug the whole thing up with two small adhesive velcro dots and a 2-3 inch strap of velcro. In addition, I found a plastic cover from an insulated mug that fits the SP-600 perfectly. Keeps the contents hot (w/cozy) PLUS no more burnt lips. The whole shebang can't add more that 1.5 to 2 oz. to the the mug. On short hikes, this in addition to a home-made Esbit stove, foil for a lid, and a spoon is all I take for cooking gear. :)

VTATHiker
01-20-2010, 18:01
Thanks for the help folks. I think I may be snipping handles off a Ti mug after all. I really want to be able to boil water in the mug and then slide it easily into the cozy. No need for handles that way.

BrianLe
01-20-2010, 18:04
I would have thought the handles would fold closely enough against the mug body to be okay, at least the ones on my (MLD) cup/pot seem to fold pretty "flat". But the cozy I use is one that fits a quart freezer bag, so I don't have the problem.

Tinker
01-20-2010, 18:08
I make all my cozys out of old blue foam pads (often abandoned by others) and duct tape. Free (except for the tape), and they work better than bubble wrap (which is lighter, actually, but more fragile).
In winter I often eat right out of my ti pot after "cooking" my noodles in the cozy. I like to boil the noodles for a few minutes as the texture is much better than the "pour boiling water on them and let them rehydrate" method (my opinion).