PDA

View Full Version : No maps or guidebooks

Bear Magnet
04-14-2004, 16:45
Has anyone ever thru-hiked the trail without a guidebook of any type _and_ without maps? Just started at one end and followed the white blazes till there were no more?

Bear Magnet

hungryhowie
04-14-2004, 23:47
While I can't name someone that I know that's done it, with 50+ years and several thousand thruhikers, I'm sure there've been several. I'm not advocating this, because I believe firmly in self-sufficiency, but theoretically one could simply ask other hikers where the next town is, let them tell you, and get daily updates. A first thru-hike would be difficult because without any map or guide, you'd have no idea where supplies could be had. Yes, road crossing would be a good starting point, but some roads on the AT lead to "nowhere" for a very long time before coming arriving at "somewhere".

A person who'd done extensive traveling through the area to know the road crossings and the towns near them could do it fairly easily I'd think.

Anyway, all of that said, I always recommend that prospective thruhikers begin with either the Databook & Companion, or the Thru-hiker's Handbook, as well as the first set of maps. Some people find that they don't like carrying maps; others find that they wouldn't hike without them. After you know for sure, you can spring the $$ on the rest of the set, or save the money for other things.

-Howie

Bear Magnet
04-15-2004, 12:21
I'm not advocating hiking w/o maps or guidebooks. I hiked with both last year. I was just curious if anyone had done the trail without any sort of guide whatsoever.

Bear Magnet