PDA

View Full Version : MSR Hyperflow issues...

Worldwide
12-28-2008, 13:49
I have been using the MSR hyperflow for the past 7 months, and I have had several issues. Here are my experiences.

1. MSR reccomends to backflush every 8 liters or everyday... they should say whichever comes first. If you dont backflush every 4 liters this item is more tempermental than usual.

2. It is rated for 3 liters / minute. This couldn't be farther from the truth. I would love to see an outfitter get 3 liters / minute in the store let alone in the field.

3. During the backflushing the filter tends to vapor lock necessitating taking the filter apart completely to then restart the backflush procedure. ( I now start the backflush process with prefiltered water in the pumping cylinder ) This works sometimes not always.

If anyone has come up with a fix for this please reply and let MSR know too they are still in the dark about a fix for this

Peace Out

Worldwide

P.S. When you call MSR they say there are known issues with the pump then request you to send it back for evaluation. Meaning say by to filtered water for 3 weeks. For people that hike 200+ days a year that isnt a realistic option while hiking the horse manure field of GSMNP. MSR knows this thing is junk yet won't refund peoples money to buy a competing operational filter. Replacing the existing non working items in my pump with the same new non functioning parts that are on their shelves then sending it back won't exactly be a fix. Replacing the whole thing isn't worth my time since ti will be the same crapola I received the first time around. This thing is sincerely the biggest piece of crap on the shelves of outfitters all along the AT be forewarned.

KG4FAM
12-28-2008, 14:27
yep, everybody that I have met on the trail using it hates theirs as well.

take-a-knee
12-28-2008, 14:40
Yes, and thanks to WB posters, I never dropped a C-note on a hyperclog. This is what I went with:

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearGravityFilter.html

bronco
12-28-2008, 14:55
The filter is not what they make it out to be. I had one and it worked great for about the first week. then it was down hill from there. thank god I got mine at rei and they took it back. I called msr and after fighting with them they sent me a new filter. the new filter was no different. when i called back they told me to take it back. they were clueless on how to fix it. do not recommend this filter to anyone

shoe
12-28-2008, 14:56
Are you the worldwide that wears "Horton Hear a Who" pants?
(i know totally of topic)

Worldwide
12-28-2008, 20:55
Yes I still have my Horton pajama pants for around town. However, I have found a pair of patagonia capilene bottoms one size too small has turned more heads!

Worldwide
AT 07
GSMNP 08

88BlueGT
12-29-2008, 16:18
Its ashame because the Hyperflow looks soooo appealing because of its size and weight. I was still going to get one despite all the negative comments about them and just take my chances but I recently decided against it. I dont think I have personally talked to one person who actually liked their Hyperflow and didnt have problems with it. REI, Campmor and EMS I hear all the same stuff. Looks great, reliability sucks.

SonrisaJo
12-29-2008, 19:07
I've yet to have good luck with an MSR filter, that's 0 for 2. Thank goodness for REI's return policy.
My Steripen, on the other hand, makes my heart sing.

88BlueGT
12-30-2008, 15:32
^^ And what was the other MSR filter you had problems with.... I'd like to know just for reference.

SonrisaJo
12-30-2008, 17:41
^^ And what was the other MSR filter you had problems with.... I'd like to know just for reference.

You know, I couldn't remember the name. So I went to the MSR website and couldn't find it. Then I went to the REI site, since that's where I bought it. Apparently it has disappeared from the market. It was 3oz heavier than my Katadyn filter but the salesman at REI raved about it so much that I went ahead and got it. In the field however, it was a total beast to work with. I don't need my water filtering to be an Ordeal, and an Ordeal it was with that filter. Happily though, I wouldn't worry about it . . . it's gone.

Mrs Baggins
12-30-2008, 18:26
I use the MSR Sweetwater and love it. It's very easy to clean (just run the little brush up the center) and while I wish it would pump more and faster, it's certainly tolerable. I refuse to use steripens or tablets because I don't want floating things in my water. ewwwwwwwww......no, I'm not going to use a handkerchief or anything like that to "filter" it. Set in my ways. :)

JERMM
12-30-2008, 18:46
I use the MSR Sweetwater and love it. It's very easy to clean (just run the little brush up the center) and while I wish it would pump more and faster, it's certainly tolerable. I refuse to use steripens or tablets because I don't want floating things in my water. ewwwwwwwww......no, I'm not going to use a handkerchief or anything like that to "filter" it. Set in my ways. :)

I thought you used the MSR HyperFlow???

Chicken Feathers
01-01-2009, 15:10
Thanks Whiteblazers keep up the negative comments on the Hyperclog and maybe MSR will take the thing off the shelves and do some more testing on the filter. :-?

Chicken Feathers
01-01-2009, 15:12
Yes, and thanks to WB posters, I never dropped a C-note on a hyperclog. This is what I went with:

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearGravityFilter.html
I wished I had keep C-note in my pocket for at least 2 more years:-?