PDA

View Full Version : Odor Proof Bags

Jorel
12-28-2008, 18:47
Got some of these for Christmas. Put a bunch of peanuts in one, and put out under our bird feeder, where squirrels congregate all winter, and narry a one has shown any interest in the bag of peanuts. Maybe these things work!

mudhead
12-28-2008, 19:40
Keep us posted.

You may have well fed squirrels, from the bird feeders. Or stunned squirrels from watching the Lions.

I have read these work well, but I can't imagine them foiling gray or red squirrels. They are clear?

I would enjoy hearing the final results of your test. Might get a couple for myself!

Jim Adams
12-28-2008, 22:35
Maybe these things work!

Yeah but won't you look funny wearing them around trail towns?:D

Seriously, I've used waterproof / odor proof bags for years and they stay dry and the bears don't pay any attention to them but a red squirrel will take one look and chew through it just to find out what's in it.:eek:

geek

bigcranky
12-28-2008, 22:36
You might put some peanuts in a regular ziploc bag, and place it nearby, for a control.

Rosco
12-28-2008, 23:07
Fill it with weed and try it on the border dogs.:)
Get back to me!
Tom

Panzer1
12-29-2008, 01:10
Theory:

if you handle food you will get the scent on your hands. If you then handle the odor proof food bag the scent can transfer from your hands to the outside of the bag.

Panzer

Fiddleback
12-29-2008, 10:12
Theory:

if you handle food you will get the scent on your hands. If you then handle the odor proof food bag the scent can transfer from your hands to the outside of the bag.

Panzer

There might be odor proof bags...but I doubt there are odor-free bags.

FB

kanga
12-29-2008, 10:34
Got some of these for Christmas. Put a bunch of peanuts in one, and put out under our bird feeder, where squirrels congregate all winter, and narry a one has shown any interest in the bag of peanuts. Maybe these things work!

where did you get them?

Pedaling Fool
12-29-2008, 10:36
Theory:

Panzer
That's true, you can get odor proof bags, but it's hard to prevent the odor from being transferred to the bag, due to handling, ESPECIALLY, on the trail. I'll just stick with the normal plastic bags.

BTW, do you have a link or other info on these bags; what are they made from and how much do they cost?

OhCanada
12-29-2008, 18:18
Review is here: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Stuff%20Sacks/Dry%20Bags/Watchful%20Eye%20Designs%20-%20O.P.%20Sak%202006/John%20Waters/Initial%20Report/

SonrisaJo
12-29-2008, 18:57
I thru-hiked the Superior Hiking Trail this summer (200 miles) and because it doesn't go through many (any) towns, I hid food drops in the forest on my way up to the Canadian border. Four food drops inside odor-proof bags. It worked wonderfully. Maybe it was luck, but I had no problem. (And I often have wars with red squirrels up there.)

Actually, I forgot one of the food drops out there and picked it up a month later in perfect condition. (No need to lecture me, I know, I know.)

I think the brand I used was OP SAC.

Just be careful packaging it, and you'll be fine.