PDA

View Full Version : Garmin's HCX GPS Heads Up

Wise Old Owl
12-28-2008, 19:37
Fyi if you purchased Garmin Vista HCXor legend HCX in 2007 there is now a software update to repair distance calculations and some 20+ other minor issues in a update. You must register the product in order to get the update. The new OS is called version 2.8

If you are using Mapsource United States Topo from several years ago do not update. You will need to replace the software after the update to Topo US 2008. I just learned all this over the weekend.

Hell of a learning curve and don't do it on a weekend. (No Support)

trippclark
01-09-2009, 18:34
Thanks. Applied the update.

Sly
01-09-2009, 19:04
So if you do update the firware of the GPS, Topo US will no linger be any good? You'll need to upgrade your Topo software to 2008?

What if you do not update the firmware? Will things work correctly using the old software?

Looks like Garmin's way of selling software.

Wise Old Owl
01-15-2009, 23:24
Yes Sly that is exactly what happened, at first I was pretty mad about it, then I noticed they also changed how the data was stored and other stuff. The previous topo was two or three CD's the replacement was a DVD I can only guess they updated the detail of the data, but I am having a hard time "seeing" a noticable difference. One thing that hasn't changed lack of springs on the topo!

Sly
01-16-2009, 00:08
Yes Sly that is exactly what happened, at first I was pretty mad about it, then I noticed they also changed how the data was stored and other stuff. The previous topo was two or three CD's the replacement was a DVD I can only guess they updated the detail of the data, but I am having a hard time "seeing" a noticable difference. One thing that hasn't changed lack of springs on the topo!

I have Topo US with a Legend C. The software is fine for my needs, but since it doesn't need to be unlocked, I could use it on multiple GPS. Looks like Garmin found a way to prevent this if I were to upgrade.

Wise Old Owl
02-08-2009, 11:09
The new models with the bigger screen all have the software built in, and I discovered they will offer a far more detailed topo soon. Looks like the issue will be moot on the future gizmos.