PDA

View Full Version : plans for day one, getting to springer

Baltimore Andy
12-28-2008, 21:58
So I'm planning on starting my thru-hike from springer march 1st or a little after. I haven't purchased plane tickets from Baltimore to Atlanta yet. Is anyone interested in getting together with me at Atlanta and traveling together in the same shuttle to save a few bucks?

Any transportation ideas to springer will be a help.

also, what do people think about taking your backpack on the plane, does it have to be checked luggage? I'm using a Granite gear vapor trail and I'll have trekking poles.

KG4FAM
12-28-2008, 22:07
hikerhostel.com has a good deal that will get you where you need to go.

They might let you take a vapor trail on, but a lot of airlines let you have one carry on and a personal item. Go to the thrift store and find a cheap bag to use as the personal item and ditch it when you get to atlanta. I have never tried it, but don't think the trekking poles would be kosher as a carry on. If you do think you have to check it you might as well ship it ahead since most airlines charge like 25 bucks for a checked bag.

I prefer to take the train. No worries about checking bags or baggage handlers screwing up.

Panzer1
12-28-2008, 22:12
you can also mail some of your "questionable" gear down to HikerHostel ahead of time.

You can use the HikerHostel folks for transportation from the airport to springer. See their website: http://www.hikerhostel.com/

Panzer

Live the Journey
12-29-2008, 00:37
No matter what pack you have, you'll have to check anything sharp like multi tools and pocket knives or anything that could be used as a weapon, like trekking poles (and possibly tent poles)

the tricky thing is fuel and any stove that isn't brand new...obviously you can't check fuel, but you also can't check a stove thats been used...the smell of fuel will be detected and your stove, possibly your whole pack, will be confiscated.

I think a train could be a good option for folks trying to get to springer!

KG4FAM
12-29-2008, 00:41
the tricky thing is fuel and any stove that isn't brand new...obviously you can't check fuel, but you also can't check a stove thats been used...the smell of fuel will be detected and your stove, possibly your whole pack, will be confiscated.I have taken my jetboil on a plane in a checked box a couple of times with no problems.

Panzer1
12-29-2008, 01:46
One cannot take fuel of any kind on a plane. Its not safe. He can buy a canister when he gets down there.

If he uses the hiker hostel, he can buy canister fuel there or ship his own fuel down to them.

Panzer

Ron Haven
12-29-2008, 01:57
So I'm planning on starting my thru-hike from springer march 1st or a little after. I haven't purchased plane tickets from Baltimore to Atlanta yet. Is anyone interested in getting together with me at Atlanta and traveling together in the same shuttle to save a few bucks?

Any transportation ideas to springer will be a help.

also, what do people think about taking your backpack on the plane, does it have to be checked luggage? I'm using a Granite gear vapor trail and I'll have trekking poles.Josh Saints is great but if he is too busy Survivor Dave (http://appalachiantrailservices.com/index.php?env=-inlink/detail:m193-1-1-1-s:l-1896-28-1-) is in Atlanta helping Hikers to Amacalola or Springer.

Chicken Feathers
12-29-2008, 21:11
One cannot take fuel of any kind on a plane. Its not safe. He can buy a canister when he gets down there.

If he uses the hiker hostel, he can buy canister fuel there or ship his own fuel down to them.

Panzer It is not legal to mail fuel check postal regulations fuel canisters do not meet the requirements

KG4FAM
12-29-2008, 22:06
It is not legal to mail fuel check postal regulations fuel canisters do not meet the requirementsI thought you could if it was ground.

If you don't tell the postal worker then it doesn't matter either way. I was hiking with some folks this summer that said yes when the postal worker asked if they had anything flammable. The postal worker told them to take their box over to the other counter and sort through it and when they got back he would ask them again. They were just bouncing it down the trail so it was going ground anyway even though it was priority.

bigboots
12-29-2008, 22:41
BA, I am heading to the hiker hostel on 3/2 and staying the night there. They provide pretty much everything you need and handle all the transportation issues. They even follow your flight/train so that if it is running behind, you don't have to worry about finding a ride. You get to meet a few other hikers prior to hitting the trail. Also as mentioned, if you stay overnight they will provide some fuel and other basics. See you on the trail!

Pickleodeon
12-30-2008, 08:55
what do other hiker's do? get a ride from the bus/train/plane and go right to Amicola Falls SP? Camp/Stay there for a night? or go to a hostel? What's the cheapest or most efficient thing to do?

Dances with Mice
12-30-2008, 09:24
what do other hiker's do? get a ride from the bus/train/plane and go right to Amicola Falls SP? Camp/Stay there for a night? or go to a hostel? What's the cheapest or most efficient thing to do?Cheapest is to take one of the various shuttles to Amicalola and start walking or sleep in the shelter immediately behind the Visitor's Center.

Lone Wolf
12-30-2008, 09:26
Cheapest is to take one of the various shuttles to Amicalola and start walking or sleep in the shelter immediately behind the Visitor's Center.

OR hike to the top of the falls and get a room in the Lodge, eat a couple of buffet meals and head out in the morning

Freeze
12-30-2008, 11:18
easiest in my opinion is hikerhostel.com (http://www.hikerhostel.com). You don't have to spend the night. They also offer shuttle services if that is all you require.

Captain
12-30-2008, 11:40
It is not legal to mail fuel check postal regulations fuel canisters do not meet the requirements

actually that is not true here is a link to the United States Postal Service's "cheat sheet" http://pe.usps.com/text/qsg300/Q601.htm under "propane and camp stove fuels" it is listed as " Other Regulated Materials" regulates if propane and iso-butane and rubbing alcohol are regulated they are not prohibited, i checked this for my trip last july and it had to be sent marked " Ground Only"and you had to tell the worker what was in the box as well have enough absorbant padding to soak up any spill that might occur, true you might be able to just "sneak" it in there but think all packages go through Xray so if they spot several gas canisters in a package that does not have them declared it could get you in some trouble.

so bottom line ,tell them what is inside, make sure theres absorbant padding inside to soak up any possible spill , mark "ground only" on all sides of the box and be prepared to handle the hazmat fee if any.

It is impossible to think that if guns, bullets, and radioactive materials can be shipped that something as simple as a sealed stove fuel canister can not be after all, the store you buy it from had to have it shipped from somewhere now didnt they.

Lone Wolf
12-30-2008, 11:43
i was told by the postmaster in jonesville, vt. that it was perfectly legal to send canisters in the mail

mudhead
12-30-2008, 13:04
Ellsworth, ME also. Cannister. Under a volume limit.

The amount of frig invloved, and the time frame, I would seek plan B.

Pickleodeon
12-30-2008, 13:56
In response to the shuttle service, they're so expensive! The hikerhostel.com one says $40. Maybe I'm just poor, but $40 for a ride to AFSP or $40 from Gainesville to the hostel. $80! Seriously?

bulldog49
12-30-2008, 14:30
In response to the shuttle service, they're so expensive! The hikerhostel.com one says $40. Maybe I'm just poor, but $40 for a ride to AFSP or $40 from Gainesville to the hostel. $80! Seriously?

That is a perfectly reasonable cost, doubt they are getting rich from it. Don't forget, the trip is one way for you, but round trip for hikerhostel.

Scrapes
12-30-2008, 15:48
$104 Amtrak on the "Crescent", from Phila to Gainesville arrives around 7am, HikerHostel shuttle to Springer $46, eating lunch with ManySleeps! Sweet!

I've been to Amicalola, saw the scale, went thru the arch, walked the steps, ehh.

KG4FAM
12-30-2008, 15:54
In response to the shuttle service, they're so expensive! The hikerhostel.com one says $40. Maybe I'm just poor, but $40 for a ride to AFSP or $40 from Gainesville to the hostel. $80! Seriously?Its 55 miles from Gainsville to Hostel to Amicalola. $1.45 a mile is not expensive. If you do their thru hiker package then it 70 bucks with a night at the hostel and a pretty good breakfast on top of the shuttles.

Jack Tarlin
12-30-2008, 20:04
Lots of folks blanch when they hear about shuttle fees.

Some things to think about:

*As someone else mentioned, it might take 40 minutes to get you to your
destination. But it also takes time for the shuttler to get back to where
he needs to be, and his car doesn't run on air.
*Sometimes, in fact many times, distances are deceptive. Just because a
guy drives you 14 road miles doesn't mean this is a 15 minute trip. In many
cases, shuttlers are on back roads, dirt roads, unimproved pitted out roads.
It takes them awhile to get you to where you need to be.....and it takes
time for them to get back again. And all the while, they're putting wear and
tear on their vehicle. Especially down south, some of the Trail access roads
are in really horrible shape. You can't go fast on them, and they definitely
will put some age on your car if you do 'em often enough.
*Sometimes people are quoted a price, say 40 or fifty bucks and they think
it's exorbitant. Well, simple question.....what do YOU do back in the world
and what's a couple hours of YOUR time worth? Would you drive some
stranger all all over God's creation for 2 hours, beat your truck up to hell
and gone, pay for the gas, upkeep, and insurance, and then ask 17 dollars
in return? No? You wouldn't? Well here's the news......neither will anyone
else. Really funny how city folks won't say a word about a taxi charging
them ten bucks to go a mile or two after a night's clubbing, but they'll get
all huffy and offended when they're told how much it'll cost to get driven
forty-five minutes into the backcountry.
*There's a simple expedient for folks who object to a quoted shuttle fee:
They can get a friend or family member to drive them.
They can shop around for another driver and a better price.
Or they can use the thumb that the good Lord provided and see what that
gets them.

But nobody ever died rich shuttling hikers and that's a fact.

rcli4
12-30-2008, 20:26
Jack,
I am a thru hiker. Are you sure people ain't supposed to be honored to have me bless them with my presence and allow them to drive me to the trail?

Clyde

Dances with Mice
12-30-2008, 20:34
Jack, I am a thru hiker. Are you sure people ain't supposed to be honored to have me bless them with my presence and allow them to drive me to the trail?Well obviously they should. Because the clouds will part, the heavens will open and Hosannas will rain down upon you the entire way.

I'm not clear on what Hosannas are exactly. Might be something like a Moon Pie.

Bulldawg
12-30-2008, 20:41
Well obviously they should. Because the clouds will part, the heavens will open and Hosannas will rain down upon you the entire way.

Mmmmmm Moon Pies, throw in a RC Cola and I am there!

Lone Wolf
12-30-2008, 21:29
But nobody ever died rich shuttling hikers and that's a fact.

i'm workin' on it. there is $$$ to be made off these suckers. especially in the last 10 years

No Belay
12-30-2008, 22:14
Well obviously they should. Because the clouds will part, the heavens will open and Hosannas will rain down upon you the entire way.

Hosannas are the female members of the Sannas Angel Consortium. The male Sannas are reffered to as Hesannas. I wouldn't think of it as a blessing to have either rain down on me from the heavens.

Panzer1
12-31-2008, 02:11
It is not legal to mail fuel check postal regulations fuel canisters do not meet the requirements

You can order canister fuel online from REI or EMS and have them ship it to any place on the trail. You will have no legal liability since you are not the shipper.

Panzer

Panzer1
12-31-2008, 02:15

And don't forget the tip. I think a tip of some kind would be warranted.

Panzer

Pickleodeon
12-31-2008, 10:07
Jeez, I take it back. I understand that's it's a long distance and even though they're driving me one way, it's a round trip for them. Trust me, I'm always the driver for things. I guess I should figure out mileage and tip and routine expenses on my car and start charging my friends more for driving them places.

I apologize, shuttle drivers, I really do appreciate what you do. It's just that I'm poor.

Lone Wolf
12-31-2008, 10:09
Jeez, I take it back. I understand that's it's a long distance and even though they're driving me one way, it's a round trip for them. Trust me, I'm always the driver for things. I guess I should figure out mileage and tip and routine expenses on my car and start charging my friends more for driving them places.

I apologize, shuttle drivers, I really do appreciate what you do. It's just that I'm poor.

don't tip for a shuttle you're paying for

Chance09
01-07-2009, 19:31
I'm getting a ride down to springer from VA sometime around march 15th, we may have room for one more if your interested and wouldn't mind throwing in for gas a bit. I imagine it'll be cheaper and less of a hassle than a flight.

Screech
01-11-2009, 01:14
Am I to understand it is 40 miles from Gainesville to Amicola? Ill just walk it.

Cool AT Breeze
01-11-2009, 01:43
Am I to understand it is 40 miles from Gainesville to Amicola? Ill just walk it.
I like this man.