PDA

View Full Version : New John Muir Trail forum

MOWGLI
12-28-2008, 23:52
Some folks have requested a John Muir Trail (CA) forum. ATTROLL set one up today after I requested it.

This is a good place to post questions about hiking this great trail through the High Sierra. A number of folks here have hiked all or part of it, and would be willing to help share their knowledge with prospective hikers.

Bearpaw
12-29-2008, 09:51
Good deal. The JMT is a pretty incredible trail, even just the more sedate 1/4 I've completed.

TwoForty
12-30-2008, 00:25
Yay, finally!
I used the PCT forum to ask questions before I did the JMT. It worked fine, but this is nice.
I'll stick around and offer my horribly biased opinions.

humunuku
12-30-2008, 13:41
Are the old JMT trail threads going to be move here?

MOWGLI
12-30-2008, 14:35
Are the old JMT trail threads going to be move here?

I hadn't planned on doing that. But if there is a good reason to do so, I could possibly be persuaded.

humunuku
12-30-2008, 18:27
i was thinking someone (new to WB) might assume that since there is a JMT forum, thats where all the info is located They may not look to the other trails forum to find more info. Or maybe put a note at the top of the forum saying that JMT info posted prior to 1/1/09 will be found in "other trails" forum.

MOWGLI
12-30-2008, 18:37
OK, I moved some threads over here. I didn't realize it was fairly easy.

Enjoy!

Mrs Baggins
01-04-2009, 17:59
My husband is planning a hike on the Two Kings Loop section of the JMT in June. He was reading someone's trip report that says the bridge there was washed out. That trip report is from 1987 - has the bridge been replaced since then? Odds are it has been but you never know..............:-?

MOWGLI
01-04-2009, 18:10
I don't really know what the Two Kings section is, but it could mean coming in at Piute Pass and going out at Bishop Pass. That would send the hiker through much of the route in Kings Canyon NP.

There are some fords on the JMT, but I don't think there are any unbridged crossings. The NPS is pretty good about maintaining the heavily used trails out there.

Phreak
01-04-2009, 19:17
My husband is planning a hike on the Two Kings Loop section of the JMT in June. He was reading someone's trip report that says the bridge there was washed out. That trip report is from 1987 - has the bridge been replaced since then? Odds are it has been but you never know..............:-?
Not sure about the Two Kings Loop, but I saw no 'missing/washed out' bridge(s) during my JMT hike in September.

Mrs Baggins
01-04-2009, 19:55
Thank you all so much for the replies re the "missing" bridge. :D He's also looking at the Raes Lakes loop - - if it were me I'd do that one. Not fond of the barren above-tree-line views of the Two Kings loop. He only has about 4 days to do a hike.

MOWGLI
01-04-2009, 22:28
Thank you all so much for the replies re the "missing" bridge. :D He's also looking at the Raes Lakes loop - - if it were me I'd do that one. Not fond of the barren above-tree-line views of the Two Kings loop. He only has about 4 days to do a hike.
I would recommend Tuoulume Meadows in Yosemite to Reds Meadow. The terrain is breathtaking, and the YARTS bus can bring him back to his car.

Dogwood
01-05-2009, 14:31

The Rae Lakes Loop is great. Rae Lakes is quite beautiful. Great fishing. But what area in the vicinity isn't?

I've heard and read of Two Kings Loop also, but have never done that one entirely. Keep looking U will find more info. I thought I remembered it being said the TKL has some steep exposed sections. Sorry I can't provide more.