PDA

View Full Version : Stove advice??? Help please!

hikingfieldguide
12-29-2008, 02:10
Hello all. I've been working on my research and gathering my gear. I need some gear advice on stoves. I have recently been looking at the Brunton Raptor Foldable Canister Stove with Piezo Ignition. It seems to be a good option according to Amazon.com reviews. I would only be doing section hikes of a few days to maybe a month at most. I'd like opinions on this stove or if anyone can recomend one that they like I would be very appreciative. I'm also on a tight budget if that helps.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41CS41E2GBL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Wise Old Owl
12-29-2008, 02:29
It is an outstanding stove, but you are unclear of what your real question is.....Most of us are on a competitive pocket rocket and it is very much the same. The only thought here is I went looking at the accessories for pots, Lids, etc to make sure it all fits together and is compact in the bag. Some might recommend a slightly heavier Jet Boil system - Most of the Brunton owners swear its best for cold winter camping.

See here http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38142&highlight=Brunton+stove

hikingfieldguide
12-29-2008, 02:44
Thank you. Actually Jet Boil is another brand I am looking at. It was recommended in an outfitters but we did not talk much about stoves. Just trying to do my research.

Panzer1
12-29-2008, 03:03
I use the pocket rocket which looks like a smaller version of the brunton. I like it very much.

I think jet boil is also a good stove. I think all the canister stoves are good. Its hard to find a bad one. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

I tell people that the most important is what your cooking not what your cooking on.

Panzer

mtnkngxt
12-29-2008, 08:44
Any of the ones listed here will get the job done. I have both the pocket rocket and the Jetboil. The Jetboil is a good stove, but I am a gram weenie and usually take my pocket rocket and a titanium pot as it saves me about 6 ounces.

daibutsu
12-29-2008, 09:04
Just be mindful of the jetboil recall.

wcgornto
12-29-2008, 09:25
The Jetboil recall is a specfic type of valve which, in all likelihood, has already been swapped out at most retailers.

http://www.jetboil.com/recall

I just bought a Jetboil which does not have the recalled valve.

Another stove similar to the Raptor and the Pocket Rodket is the Snow Peak Lite Max. I have a Lite Max and like it very much. The Jetboil is a bit more fuel efficient and wind resistant than the other three mentioned. For simply boiling water, some people consider the Jetboil to be worth the weight penalty. For more elaborate cooking, the other stoves are a bit more flexible and versatile, as they will accept a variety of pots of different sizes, shapes and material.

Quoddy
12-29-2008, 09:46
While they last the Vargo Jet-Ti (http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/784810) (2.7oz) is on sale at REI for $24.93

buckwheat
12-29-2008, 09:58
Any of the ones listed here will get the job done. I have both the pocket rocket and the Jetboil. The Jetboil is a good stove, but I am a gram weenie and usually take my pocket rocket and a titanium pot as it saves me about 6 ounces.

Not when you consider the extra fuel you must carry owing to the inefficiency of your stove solution.

snowhoe
12-29-2008, 10:09
I think I have used all the stoves and I like the MSR simmerlite for cold days and when I want to do some gormet cooking. I use the jet boil on long hikes because its boils water fast but and thats it Freeze dried food only. Plus its lighter than the simmerlite. But their is something to be said about cooking up some eggs and bacon in the backcountry when everyone elese is eating oatmeal or powerbars.

bigcranky
12-29-2008, 10:35
I have and use the Raptor. I like it very much. It's my go-to stove for most of my 3-season hikes and all of my family hikes. I have 3 other canister stoves, several alcohol stoves, two white-gas stoves, and two Esbit tablet stoves, so I certainly have other choices. (And I can quit any time I want!)

hikingfieldguide
04-08-2009, 19:42
Been awhile since I've posted here. Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I have decided to get a Snowpeak Giga Power. I went to outdoor source today and it sounds like a good option. Later I will get an MSR, but for the price and such right now.... I think I like this one. :)
http://www.campsaver.com/mmWINTERFIXCOM/Images/a/snowpeak_gigapower_auto.jpg

Mags
04-08-2009, 20:07
In general, the canister stoves are all about the same. You really can't go wrong.

As I said in another tread, though, ultimately it is just gear. Franconia Ridge looks pretty damn impressive no matter what stove you used to cook your food the previous day. ;)

Have fun on the AT!

JaxHiker
04-09-2009, 13:23
I think you'll be happy with the Giga. Just make sure you still have a Bic or something in case your piezo craps out. I had trouble with the piezo on my Jetboil until they replaced it so I opted for the manual Giga. I also have the LiteMax which is a very nice little stove.

Lyle
04-09-2009, 13:28
Any reason you don't seem to be considering alcohol? Best stove for the AT, 3-season if you ask me. None can compete with the weight advantage or price.

skinewmexico
04-09-2009, 15:11
I have a Coleman F1 and it works fine. I use a Primus Eta when hiking with groups, and the heat exchanger pot really works, and saves fuel. I took the rivets out of it and removed the piezo lighter, since I'm carrying a lighter anyway. BPL did a really interesting test on canister stoves and CO output. But I think you have to pay to read it. I will say that the Snow Peak you purchased was one of the few canister stoves tested with a really low CO output. Almost every other stove needed the pot raised at least 10 mm to see substantial reductions in CO.

hootyhoo
04-09-2009, 16:17
At zenstoves there is a lot of information - have you checked it out?

elray
04-09-2009, 17:50
You've made a good choice. I've had my Snow Peak Titanium for several trouble free years and would recommend it to anyone. I also like their cooking pots. Good Luck!

hikingfieldguide
04-13-2009, 13:14
I have looked at alcohol stoves a little bit. The guy at Outdoor Source went through all the different types of stoves they had. He said if I got an alcohol one, he recommended playing around with one before I go. I am looking for something right now though that is pretty easy and honestly... I guess Im kinda nervous about stoves. Ive never used a backpackng stove before. I was wondering about the difference of manual and the power. I don't remember which he showed me and that was one of the things I was going to go back to check on. I haven't bought it yet.
He did recommend that I check out zenstoves.com.
What is CO and is a low output good????
The Snow Peak cooking pots were some that he showed me. Also saw the GSI Pinnacle. I think he showed me another set too. Am looking for a set to use with my dad.
I plan on doing sections though one day (or 5-6 months) I would love to thru-hike. Late April of next year my dad and I are going to do Springer to Neels Gap. I am sooo excited.

aldredheron
02-18-2010, 04:47
The only inconvenience I see is priming the 8R or the 111. It is a durable stove and I normally throw in a piece of rag so the inside would not shake and rattle. Another suggestion would be the Military 520 model which has also its own cylindrical case - self priming. See what others would suggest but you can check out pocket stoves too!

J-Rod
02-18-2010, 09:27
i like my jetboil....but i use Alky stoves more than my jetboil...
the jetboils nice cause it's a All in one unit...so there will be no need to get a pot..i think it's a great starter stove

BrianLe
02-18-2010, 15:06
In the "FWIW" department, the MLD Caldera Cone setup packs as an all-in-one unit.
Stove + windscreen (http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=129&osCsid=29aa260afc3e1592b08c7d715afb355b)
850 ml pot (http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=113&osCsid=29aa260afc3e1592b08c7d715afb355b)

bfree
02-19-2010, 18:21
There is some good info at cascadeclimbers about the jetboil. The real men of the outdoor world really seem to praise it as a gas cooker. Oh, by real men I mean alpine climbers. (I'm sure everyone knows this already but I thought I would clarify for those groomed trail walkers whose egos have gotten the better of their sense of reality.) xoxoxo

Mags
02-19-2010, 18:34
http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/Assets/troller.jpg
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/troller.htm

Don't feed the trolls... :sun

nchiker
02-19-2010, 18:37
i have the msr pocket rocket&wind pro. I like the wind pro better becouse a windscrean works better.but on 2-3day trips alcohol or esbit stoves cant be beat

babbage
02-19-2010, 21:53
There is some good info at cascadeclimbers about the jetboil. The real men of the outdoor world really seem to praise it as a gas cooker. Oh, by real men I mean alpine climbers. (I'm sure everyone knows this already but I thought I would clarify for those groomed trail walkers whose egos have gotten the better of their sense of reality.) xoxoxo

I can't believe you said that, Bfree. You should expect a reaming over that one.

J-Rod
02-20-2010, 01:31

i'll tell ya what...why don't you come deer hunting with me in the fall...and drag a deer a few miles...and we will see who is a real man :)

hal0ofwint3r
03-06-2010, 15:14
i have a raptor. great stove. very durable, folds up really small, never had any problems.

trailangelbronco
03-06-2010, 16:24
The good old and cheap Primus Express is my favorite canister stove. Does exactly the same thing as the Snow Peak, and all other canister stoves.

You can also choose to buy it without the ignitor that always fails when you need it most. Also weighs 2.5 ounces.

$26.00. I bought mine at REI on sale with a pot and cover and mesh bag.