PDA

View Full Version : PA Ruck Jan 30-Feb 1

StarLyte
12-29-2008, 09:03
The PA Ruck will be held January 30 thru February 1, 2009 at Ironmasters Mansion, Pine Grove State Park PA. The new caretakers, Ray & Lori Burt welcome us.

This year we are spotlighting the Appalachian Trail Museum and the Earl Shaffer Foundation.

Pine Grove will soon be the new home of the A.T. Museum as most of you already know. We are truly excited about this and would like to help in any way we can.

The PA Ruck is hosting a raffle to benefit the Museum. The winning prize is: "Hiking the Appalachian Trail" 1st Edition. This series is the biggest collector item among A.T. books since it’s been out of print since the early 1980s and remains a classic of trail literature.

We are also looking for someone to organize Saturday morning breakfast benefitting the Museum as well. Some of you remember the breakfast benefit we had at Trail Days a few years back, we'd like to have that same breakfast and participation.

The Earl Shaffer Foundation is making a very special announcement at the PA Ruck this year. We hope you can attend to hear what spokesperson, David Donaldson (http://www.earlshaffer.com/aboutearl.html)is going to announce.

We would also like to announce a small venue for children ages 5 to 15 this year, and every year, to meet in the hostel kitchen for an Appalachian Trail cooking party! Hostess Star, an 11 year old, will greet and meet you at 7pm in the hostel kitchen - bring your recipe and ingredients - your dishes will be served at the RuckFeast on Saturday night! Star has a gift for all attendees. Parents are welcome to assist their children if needed.

For more information you can go to our PA Ruck Google spreadsheet -
CLICK HERE (http://docs.google.com/?hl=en&tab=wo#all)
sign in as
email: [email protected]
password: trailwork
click on the PA Ruck

You can fill in what you'd like to bring by clicking on any box and typing in your information: food, supplies, clean-up, just make sure you save your work by clicking on file, save & close. Click at the bottom of the spreadsheet for different items - it's easy !

You can also post your information here and I'll update the spreadsheet accordingly.

We welcome your presentation and ideas, kindly post them here or email me privately at [email protected]

We will still and always have our Saturday noon "Soup & Chili" benefitting the Appalachian Trail Museum ! This event has always been a success, but only because of your donated soups and chilis. Everyone donates and eats real good.

The PA Ruck welcomes all: hikers and their families, friends, non-hikers. We especially welcome those who have offerings. We have a great Thru-hiker bull session and a pack tuckerization.

Your participation is important if you plan to attend to assure the PA Ruck's success....that means food, fun and fellowship.

Thanks!

sly dog
12-29-2008, 13:21
This year keep Mary away from the stone wall.

Sly
12-29-2008, 18:10
Hopefully, I can make it this year. I went to the 1st three in PA. Good times.

warraghiyagey
12-29-2008, 18:12
There's only so much fun one can have in Pennsylvania. . . . :sun:sun

Sly
12-29-2008, 18:27
There's only so much fun one can have in Pennsylvania. . . . :sun:sun

Some of the best bars on the AT. :D But I digress, the PaRuck is a non-drinking event. :(

Lone Wolf
12-29-2008, 18:30
Some of the best bars on the AT. :D But I digress, the PaRuck is a non-drinking event. :(
not really. just can't drink at the hostel. all the drunks stay at the campground and party around the big campfire

Spirit Walker
12-29-2008, 19:49
Last year there were some problems at the campground. If the same ranger is there this year, there won't be any drinking allowed. We may be wearing out our welcome there.

Lone Wolf
12-29-2008, 20:09
figured it wouldn't be long :)

warraghiyagey
12-29-2008, 20:13
Well, guess that rules me out for the PARuck then. :)

Sly
12-29-2008, 20:14
Last year there were some problems at the campground. If the same ranger is there this year, there won't be any drinking allowed. We may be wearing out our welcome there.

Yup, no possessing or consuming alcohol

§ 11.209. Miscellaneous activities.

Rule 10 b 2

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findinfo/newrulesregs.pdf

Sly
12-29-2008, 20:19
Well, guess that rules me out for the PARuck then. :)

Well then, if you really can't go a weekend without alcohol, you're always welcome at the Southern Ruck. I'll pick you up at the airport. :D

Panzer1
12-29-2008, 20:47
not really. just can't drink at the hostel. all the drunks stay at the campground and party around the big campfire

not this year. There was a problem at the camp ground last year with ranger "Todd". He gave us a stern warning. He was pissed because he received complaints about us. He said that because we got the warning that this coming year there would be no more warnings. He said he knows that we were drinking and that he is going to stop by this year. He threatened to make arrests.

He had a long list of complaints actually. Drinking was just one of them.

Panzer

Lone Wolf
12-29-2008, 20:49
typical hiker gathering stuff. wearing out welcomes :)

Panzer1
12-29-2008, 21:05
The main complaint was from other campers who said that the music and talking was too loud and continued all night long. It was this complaint that started the whole problem.

people did not pay for their camp site under the honor system. He had to come and make some of us pay.

visitors parked extra cars on the driveway. There supposed to be in "overflow parking" wherever that is.

too many tents per camp site. (only allowed 2 tents per site) people were trying to escape a site fee.

He didn't complain about the camp fire though because he never saw it. It was way too big. we got away with that.:D

we also got away with using a chain saw and a leaf blower.:D

Panzer

Panzer1
12-29-2008, 21:13
Officer Todd said:
- PA residents would be given a fine,
- out of staters would be arrested and held until the fine was paid.

Panzer

Lone Wolf
12-29-2008, 21:15
i bet bag-o-tricks was involved :)

Frosty
12-29-2008, 22:15
The main complaint was from other campers who said that the music and talking was too loud and continued all night long. It was this complaint that started the whole problem.He definately was not happy. He said the complaint had been filed in the morning and it was a good thing, because if he had to come to the campground in the middle of the night people were going to be real sorry. I seem to recall two hundred bucks mentioned as the fine?

I wasn't even camped near the campfire site - just came by in the morning to pick up Pokey. Ranger didn't care. I was in the area when he showed up, and I was part of the group as far as he was concerned. Something to file away: don't camp near the campfire site.

(In his defense, the only RVs were WAY on the other side of the campground, so if they were the ones who complained, I can see why the ranger surmised it might have been a tad loud.)

Panzer1
12-29-2008, 22:39
(In his defense, the only RVs were WAY on the other side of the campground, so if they were the ones who complained, I can see why the ranger surmised it might have been a tad loud.)

Also considering that those people were inside their trailers with the windows closed and the heat on and they still heard us.

Panzer:o

Sly
12-30-2008, 01:05
I don't think this is the type of thread Marsha imagined. PA Ruck was always pretty tame when I attended. When did the riff-raff start showing up? :D

gravityman
12-30-2008, 01:35
Is there a group site there that is far from the regular camping area? Seems wise to get that group site. Probably cheaper too...

Panzer1
12-30-2008, 02:34
Is there a group site there that is far from the regular camping area? Seems wise to get that group site. Probably cheaper too...

I don't think it matters where you camp, they will know that your with this group and they will be by for a visit.

Panzer

zoidfu
12-30-2008, 04:18
Just camp at the Tom's run shelter and then you can drink your face off with no worries. You won't have to pay a site fee either. You can park right by the road(can't think of the name of the road, sorry) and it's something like a mile to the shelter. You can then walk from the shelter to the hostel in under an hour easy.

zoidfu
12-30-2008, 04:34
For those of you that are unfamiliar with the shelter area- There are two small shelters but there is a ton of flat, open space. Probably enough room for 200 tents and there's a nice stream that runs through right by the twin shelters so water won't be a problem.

Lone Wolf
12-30-2008, 05:31

yes there is and closer to the hostel

Lone Wolf
12-30-2008, 05:34
Just camp at the Tom's run shelter and then you can drink your face off with no worries. You won't have to pay a site fee either. You can park right by the road(can't think of the name of the road, sorry) and it's something like a mile to the shelter. You can then walk from the shelter to the hostel in under an hour easy.

3.7 miles uphill in the dark just to drink ain't too bright

zoidfu
12-30-2008, 05:42
3.7 miles uphill in the dark just to drink ain't too bright

Like I said, you can park at this road and you walk about a mile slightly downhill to the shelter area. When I get home, I'll break out the map and name the road just for you.

zoidfu
12-30-2008, 08:38
The name of the road you want to turn on to is Michaux Road. A small slice of it is actually a road walk part of the AT- That's right where you would want to park. You would go down 233 south(passing the hostel) and then turn right onto said road. There's 3 spaces right where the road walk ends(or starts if you're coming from the shelters) and down the hill(about a 10th of a mile or so) there are more spaces right where the other end of the road walk goes back into the woods(there's ruins of an old stone house right around the bend where the AT cuts back in).

That's Michaux State Forest land so it's ok to drink. The "hike" in is a bit over a mile and it's an easy mile. It's 3.7 to walk to the hostel like LW said or it's about a 3 minute drive back to it if you're looking to use wheels.

zoidfu
12-30-2008, 08:46
My brother is telling me it's more like a 7 minute 54 second drive. My apologies.

camojack
12-30-2008, 10:11
A voice from the past. :D

Are you planning to attend the next PA Ruck, then? :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
12-30-2008, 10:50
Like I said, you can park at this road and you walk about a mile slightly downhill to the shelter area.

The name of the road you want to turn on to is Michaux Road. A small slice of it is actually a road walk part of the AT- That's right where you would want to park. You would go down 233 south(passing the hostel) and then turn right onto said road. There's 3 spaces right where the road walk ends(or starts if you're coming from the shelters) and down the hill(about a 10th of a mile or so) there are more spaces right where the other end of the road walk goes back into the woods(there's ruins of an old stone house right around the bend where the AT cuts back in).

That's Michaux State Forest land so it's ok to drink. The "hike" in is a bit over a mile and it's an easy mile. It's 3.7 to walk to the hostel like LW said or it's about a 3 minute drive back to it if you're looking to use wheels.

My brother is telling me it's more like a 7 minute 54 second drive. My apologies.

ain't worth the effort just to toss back a few brews. if the celebrants would just be discreet and keep the noise down there prolly wouldn't be a problem but when a certain group of hikers get together....

Panzer1
12-30-2008, 13:03
What we need is a place that's legal to drink.

Panzer

Lone Wolf
12-30-2008, 13:08
move the ruck. ironmasters is too small anyway

STEVEM
12-30-2008, 14:19
So what's the bottom line on this event? Is it worthwhile, or just another excuse to become drunk and obnoxious?

Panzer1
12-30-2008, 15:28
move the ruck. ironmasters is too small anyway

no, I never thought it was too small even when we had a big crowd. Thats because half the people camp and half stay in the mansion.
The only problem is that its illegal to drink and we are a drinking/partying crowd and the place is patrolled by park rangers and now they know we are drinkers.

Panzer

zoidfu
12-30-2008, 15:36
A voice from the past. :D

Are you planning to attend the next PA Ruck, then? :rolleyes:

How have you been doing?

I was thinking about attending.

zoidfu
12-30-2008, 15:42
ain't worth the effort just to toss back a few brews. if the celebrants would just be discreet and keep the noise down there prolly wouldn't be a problem but when a certain group of hikers get together....

If you're going that route then put your beer in ice tea bottles, keep breath mints handy, don't make any noise, don't make eye contact with anyone, stay inside your tent, don't make your fire too big, etc... etc....

Lone Wolf
12-30-2008, 16:01
no, I never thought it was too small even when we had a big crowd. Thats because half the people camp and half stay in the mansion.
The only problem is that its illegal to drink and we are a drinking/partying crowd and the place is patrolled by park rangers and now they know we are drinkers.

Panzer

way too crowded upstairs where the dvds are shown

camojack
12-30-2008, 16:05
How have you been doing?

I was thinking about attending.
I've been "living large"...as per usual.

Hopefully you make it to the PA Ruck; it's a (much!) shorter drive for you than it is for me... :)

Panzer1
12-30-2008, 16:06
way too crowded upstairs where the dvds are shown

Well that's just one room. There are many rooms in the mansion.

Panzer

Sly
12-30-2008, 16:48
So what's the bottom line on this event? Is it worthwhile, or just another excuse to become drunk and obnoxious?

No, on the contrary it's a good event. I guess some started coming and drinking in the campground since drinking isn't allowed in the hostel, but it looks like that's not going to happen this year.

From what I understand Skeeter's going to do a presentation on the Tahoe Rim Trail, which is awesome.

I wouldn't expect it to be too crowded either this year. Even though the price of gas is down, it seems like people aren't spending money like years past.

emerald
12-30-2008, 18:49
Those who expect to participate in unsanctioned group activities on nearby Michaux State Forest may want to make certain they understand what activities are permitted there.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/frm.aspx (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/frm.aspx)

What we need is a place that's legal to drink.

Panzer

It's called a tap room. There are plenty in Pennsylvania, but their owners expect patrons to behave like adults.

People who want to attend but are unhappy with the host facility's expectations and cannot do without a few ounces of ethanol for a weekend should look into renting a private room which meets their requirements elsewhere.

Jack Tarlin
12-30-2008, 19:42
Yup. That's what they expect.

So we'll miss you. :D

zoidfu
12-30-2008, 20:02
I've been "living large"...as per usual.

Hopefully you make it to the PA Ruck; it's a (much!) shorter drive for you than it is for me... :)

I just hope I don't get Camojacked. Don't worry, I've mellowed out:jump

oso loco
12-30-2008, 21:09
There are other problems with this year's Ruck, but we'll get to that later. For right now, this is part of something that I just sent to Marsha - y'all might want to take it to heart.

Finally - the cabins. You're probably right about the Ranger. The boys at the campground really, REALLY pissed him off last year. Tricks caught the first blast and we got part of the story from him but we don't really know the details. So the Ranger's the one who probably cut off access to the cabins.

Problem - some people are gonna come to the Ruck expecting the campground to be open for drinking. And some of them are likely to find themselves with a $200 fine and possibly jail. As I said, that Ranger was REALLY pissed. So it might behoove us to make sure that everyone knows that the campground is off limits to drinking, too.

The Ruck originated as a way to let prospective thruhikers meet and talk to those who had done the trail. It was never meant to be a party. To that end, the tradition is for a hike on Sat morning, Tuckerization and a thruhiker bull session on Sat afternoon and slide shows on Sat night. There was no room for "partying".
That came later with those who stayed at the campground and had no interest in the real purpose of the Ruck.

Those who want to party would be well advised to take it someplace else this year. That Ranger is gonna be waiting for you.

Panzer1
12-30-2008, 21:26
Finally - the cabins. You're probably right about the Ranger. The boys at the campground really, REALLY pissed him off last year. Tricks caught the first blast and we got part of the story from him but we don't really know the details. So the Ranger's the one who probably cut off access to the cabins.I don't see any connection with the cabins and the camp ground. I'm guessing that if access to the cabins was cut off it was because of something that happened in the cabins not the campground. After all, If the ranger wanted to he could cut off access to the campground.

Panzer

Lone Wolf
12-30-2008, 21:40
that "tuckerization" crap is just that :rolleyes:

camojack
12-30-2008, 21:44
I just hope I don't get Camojacked. Don't worry, I've mellowed out:jump
Heh. I don't worry. Anyway, I never start anything, either... ;)

Panzer1
12-30-2008, 21:55
Those who want to party would be well advised to take it someplace else this year. That Ranger is gonna be waiting for you.

I guessing that place will be the Doyle Hotel.

Panzer

oso loco
12-30-2008, 22:01
I don't see any connection with the cabins and the camp ground. I'm guessing that if access to the cabins was cut off it was because of something that happened in the cabins not the campground. After all, If the ranger wanted to he could cut off access to the campground.

Panzer

Nope - he sees the connection - and said so.

He won't close the campground cause other people use it too. But he has no reason to rent the cabins to Ruck people if he thinks we're all drunks. Or if the cabins weren't cleaned up last year.

oso loco
12-30-2008, 22:02
that "tuckerization" crap is just that :rolleyes:

You've never seen me Tuckerize, have you, LW. :)

Lone Wolf
12-30-2008, 22:04

no.

Panzer1
12-30-2008, 22:06
The boys at the campground really, REALLY pissed him off last year.Well he may have been pissed but I don't think he was "really, REALLY pissed". After all look at what he DID NOT do.
- he did not arrest anyone
- he did not fine anyone
- he did not confiscate any alcohol, even though some was in plain sight
- he did not tell anyone to leave
- he did not tell anyone not to come back.

Actually he did nothing, just "read the riot act".
If he was "really, REALLY pissed" I think he would have taken some "action" of some kind. I thought he was really cool. He said he knew if he looked in the ice coolers he could find alcohol, but took no action to look in the coolers that were sitting out in plain sight.

So no he wasn't "REALLY pissed", he was actually kind of "cool". He cut us every possible break.

Panzer

Sly
12-30-2008, 22:09

Me neither. ;) However, I think a lot of newbies appreciate more experienced hikers go through their pack and gear. Lots of people here give advice on what's not really needed. Tuckerizing is just hands on, and in person.

Panzer1
12-30-2008, 22:19
Nope - he sees the connection - and said so.

He won't close the campground cause other people use it too. But he has no reason to rent the cabins to Ruck people if he thinks we're all drunks. Or if the cabins weren't cleaned up last year.

If he can close the cabin, he could close the hostel...I still say there's no connection.

Panzer

STEVEM
12-30-2008, 22:47
I don't know Marsha, but it looks to me like an event that she enjoys and has worked hard to promote is going straight into the s**t can. Thats really too bad.

Sly
12-30-2008, 23:02
I don't know Marsha, but it looks to me like an event that she enjoys and has worked hard to promote is going straight into the s**t can. Thats really too bad.

Why would you say that, because there were complaints in the campground one year? The hostel is in favor of the event, and looking forward to it.

What's a shame is people bad mouthing it here.

emerald
12-30-2008, 23:13

Maybe it's being rededicated to its original purpose.

Panzer1
12-30-2008, 23:16
Why would you say that, because there were complaints in the campground one year?

So far as we know there was just one complaint from one camper, that one year.

Panzer

STEVEM
12-30-2008, 23:49
Why would you say that, because there were complaints in the campground one year? The hostel is in favor of the event, and looking forward to it.

What's a shame is people bad mouthing it here.

Actually, I don't really hear anyone bad mouthing the event. Everyone seems upset that PA has laws that are designed to allow everyone to enjoy their state campgrounds.

I considered attending the last few years but figured I didn't have enough experience to feel welcome. Based on the discussion here I now figure the PA Ruck is just another drinking party. I can't be alone in that observation.

I've been thinking about and hiking on the AT for the last 30 years. Unfortunately, the entire AT experience seems to be degrading into a massive frat party. I am however starting to get old so my judgement probably can't be trusted.

oso loco
12-30-2008, 23:51
Well he may have been pissed but I don't think he was "really, REALLY pissed". After all look at what he DID NOT do.
- he did not arrest anyone
- he did not fine anyone
- he did not confiscate any alcohol, even though some was in plain sight
- he did not tell anyone to leave
- he did not tell anyone not to come back.

Actually he did nothing, just "read the riot act".
If he was "really, REALLY pissed" I think he would have taken some "action" of some kind. I thought he was really cool. He said he knew if he looked in the ice coolers he could find alcohol, but took no action to look in the coolers that were sitting out in plain sight.

So no he wasn't "REALLY pissed", he was actually kind of "cool". He cut us every possible break.

Panzer

Actually, there was no liquor in sight - Tricks had cleaned it up. Say thank you, Tricks.

There were very few people there - the way I got it most of them had left and the rest were asleep - except for Tricks.

He did however promise to fine/arrest those who came back and did the same thing this year.

A-Train
12-30-2008, 23:54
Actually, I don't really hear anyone bad mouthing the event. Everyone seems upset that PA has laws that are designed to allow everyone to enjoy their state campgrounds.

I considered attending the last few years but figured I didn't have enough experience to feel welcome. Based on the discussion here I now figure the PA Ruck is just another drinking party. I can't be alone in that observation.

I've been thinking about and hiking on the AT for the last 30 years. Unfortunately, the entire AT experience seems to be degrading into a massive frat party. I am however starting to get old so my judgement probably can't be trusted.

Steve,
The event is for everyone. Lack of experience is MORE reason to show up and learn. I did just that in 2003 and left for my thru-hike a lot more knowledgable than I was before the weekend.

This hiker event was the least like a party of ANY i have attended. The average age was around 50 and many of the folks don't drink. There was zero drinking at the hostel and during the day. The only drinking was at the campground after about 9pm pretty far from the sleeping hostel guests.

I recommend you come. I hope to attend and it would be a pleasure to welcome you into the community.

As far as the AT turning into a party, well that is a bit of an exageration. There is still a lot to be enjoyed despite the over-abundnce of services today. You may want to seek out a different trail (i.e. any trail west of the Mississippi)

oso loco
12-30-2008, 23:55
If he can close the cabin, he could close the hostel...I still say there's no connection.

Panzer

Oops - forgot this one - he can't close the hostel. It's State property but it's leased. So it's not his to close except at the request of the hostel keeper - or if the lessee fails to provide proper maintenance. That's how we got into doing maintenance trips to the hostel. But he CAN fine/arrest anyone who breaks the Park rules in the hostel.

oso loco
12-31-2008, 00:11

Steve -
I organized the first 8 or 9 Rucks. We managed to keep the drinking confined to the campground. Ginny and I have NEVER been to the campground during a Ruck except once when we walked through there during the day. That way we've avoided the drinking crowd for what - 10 years?

Not that I don't drink. But I figure if someone can't get together with friends for a weekend without getting totally sloshed, then they have a problem. But it's their problem - not mine.

The party is a choice - and this year it may not even be a choice. So don't let that drive you away.

As for experience - that's precisely why we put the Ruck together in the first place - for people who are inexperienced. IOW - you belong there, it's YOUR function. :)

Hope we'll see you there. BTW - we'll be staying at the campground this year. And I get REALLY grumpy if I don't sleep. :(

zoidfu
12-31-2008, 00:18
Is the ruck going to be filled with these holier than thou types?

Sly
12-31-2008, 00:22

Well, when you said the event is going into the **** can I took it as bad mouthing the event. Apologies if I took it wrong.

camojack
12-31-2008, 00:37
Is the ruck going to be filled with these holier than thou types?
As with any number of gatherings of human beings...there will be many types of folks. :-?

I'm still planning to attend, again, as per usual... :)

Panzer1
12-31-2008, 00:42
Actually, there was no liquor in sight - Tricks had cleaned it up. Say thank you, Tricks.

Tricks and Mathewski did save the day and cleaned up the camp and made it presentable just before the ranger arrived. Else it would have turned out differently. Most were sleeping.

Panzer

zoidfu
12-31-2008, 00:58
As with any number of gatherings of human beings...there will be many types of folks. :-?

I'm still planning to attend, again, as per usual... :)

It's all good... Someone's has to stand up for the drinkers... I'm am however, doing my best to hold back... you know how I get..

camojack
12-31-2008, 23:35
It's all good... Someone's has to stand up for the drinkers... I'm am however, doing my best to hold back... you know how I get..
Last year Marsha brought me some Camo beer...I didn't even finish two 24 ounce cans and I was trashed.

I should've known anything called Camo was powerful... :D

Gary
01-04-2009, 23:30
Just stay away from me.....ALL of you crazy party-ers. I'll be sitting in my own campsite with a few friends from work. I will not be partying and getting crazy like the last few years. Just gonna sit and share some stories with friends. Plus i hope to share and gain knowledge from the latest slideshows in the hostel. I also can't wait to see some old and make some new friends. By the way bring wood.......Panzer. LOL I remember Camo's "camo beer" it was quite something. see you soon.

fishinfred
01-04-2009, 23:59
The PA Ruck will be held January 30 thru February 1, 2009 at Ironmasters Mansion, Pine Grove State Park PA. The new caretakers, Ray & Lori Burt welcome us.

This year we are spotlighting the Appalachian Trail Museum and the Earl Shaffer Foundation.

Pine Grove will soon be the new home of the A.T. Museum as most of you already know. We are truly excited about this and would like to help in any way we can.

The PA Ruck is hosting a raffle to benefit the Museum. The winning prize is: "Hiking the Appalachian Trail" 1st Edition. This series is the biggest collector item among A.T. books since it’s been out of print since the early 1980s and remains a classic of trail literature.

We are also looking for someone to organize Saturday morning breakfast benefitting the Museum as well. Some of you remember the breakfast benefit we had at Trail Days a few years back, we'd like to have that same breakfast and participation.

The Earl Shaffer Foundation is making a very special announcement at the PA Ruck this year. We hope you can attend to hear what spokesperson, David Donaldson (http://www.earlshaffer.com/aboutearl.html)is going to announce.

We would also like to announce a small venue for children ages 5 to 15 this year, and every year, to meet in the hostel kitchen for an Appalachian Trail cooking party! Hostess Star, an 11 year old, will greet and meet you at 7pm in the hostel kitchen - bring your recipe and ingredients - your dishes will be served at the RuckFeast on Saturday night! Star has a gift for all attendees. Parents are welcome to assist their children if needed.

For more information you can go to our PA Ruck Google spreadsheet -
CLICK HERE (http://docs.google.com/?hl=en&tab=wo#all)
sign in as
email: [email protected]
password: trailwork
click on the PA Ruck

You can fill in what you'd like to bring by clicking on any box and typing in your information: food, supplies, clean-up, just make sure you save your work by clicking on file, save & close. Click at the bottom of the spreadsheet for different items - it's easy !

You can also post your information here and I'll update the spreadsheet accordingly.

We welcome your presentation and ideas, kindly post them here or email me privately at [email protected]

We will still and always have our Saturday noon "Soup & Chili" benefitting the Appalachian Trail Museum ! This event has always been a success, but only because of your donated soups and chilis. Everyone donates and eats real good.

The PA Ruck welcomes all: hikers and their families, friends, non-hikers. We especially welcome those who have offerings. We have a great Thru-hiker bull session and a pack tuckerization.

Your participation is important if you plan to attend to assure the PA Ruck's success....that means food, fun and fellowship.

Thanks!

Starlyte

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO!

I am hoping to get up there this year .....It ALL sounds good to me ! :D

StarLyte
01-05-2009, 07:27
Jack you weren't supposed to drink it, it is a collector. I have one sitting next to my Moxie and my Pepsi can from Thailand :-?

Fishin Fred it sure would be GRAND if you would attend. Every year this time I wonder.....is Fishin Fred gonna make it ?

Gary it wouldn't be a Ruck without you - and I think you know that :sun

camojack
01-05-2009, 07:41
Jack you weren't supposed to drink it, it is a collector. I have one sitting next to my Moxie and my Pepsi can from Thailand :-?
Sacrilege! :eek:

phillycheze
01-05-2009, 10:42
has anyone tried looking at private campgrounds in the vicinity? carlisle is close to PGF and has tons of car shows, so those guys should know where to camp with a beer...
my brother-in-law is a car guy and has been to carlisle tons of times so i'll ask him what they do. i've been to a couple of shows with him and the car show world is much crazier than us hikers and they get to come back numerous times a year... hell, they have cars with speakers that u can't use while ur in the damn thing or u'll bleed from ur ears.

zoidfu
01-05-2009, 10:47
Is the new Appalachian Trail museum where they're going to put the Earl Shaffer shelter that they removed from Peter's Mountain? When does that open?

camojack
01-05-2009, 10:51
Is the new Appalachian Trail museum where they're going to put the Earl Shaffer shelter that they removed from Peter's Mountain?
Yes. I was one of the volunteers that helped disassemble and carry it out.

When does that open?
That has yet to be determined, but it looks as though that'll be at Pine Grove too.
(Just like the PA Ruck...)

zoidfu
01-05-2009, 10:58
I must have slept in that shelter 30 times... Do you think the museum will let me do an overnight in it for old time's sake:)

camojack
01-05-2009, 11:18
I must have slept in that shelter 30 times... Do you think the museum will let me do an overnight in it for old time's sake:)
Myself and two others slept in it the last night it was still out there.
(The night before we took it apart and carried it out)

As for letting you "do an overnight in it for old time's sake"...you'd probably have to take that up with the museum curator.
(After it's reassembled, of course...)

driveby
01-08-2009, 13:38
I have to say I think ranger Todd is getting a bad rap. he turned a blind eye the to the debauchery that was going on and told several people as long as it is contained and everyone remains respectful, there wont be a problem. well, that did not happen at the particular camp site. i can tell you I was staying at another camp site with my dog. my fire was big, there was beer on the picnic table, and my dog was not on a leash. ranger Todd woke me up the next morning and asked very kindly to put my beer away. I apologized and put it away. he took some time to play with my dog and to complain about how much room he had given the hikers at the other camp site only to have his blind eye and generosity thrown back in his face. I have been back to pine grove several times since (as I do every year) and not once have I ever had a problem with ranger Todd. The name of the Game is respect. Respect the people that care for the place you are staying and everyone will walk away happy. That being said, I am sure that this years ruck is going to be just as fun as all the other. I don’t want any one to be discouraged from going unless you plan on being disrespectful. Than don’t bother, we don’t want you there.

Gary
01-09-2009, 18:13
Nobody to my knowledge was disrespectful. there have may been been too many tents or too many cars in some specific sites, i don't know. we try to abide by most of the rules and regulations. I think he may just get overwhelmed at seeing so many people at one gathering. but what do I know.

Hoop Time
01-10-2009, 08:53
Officer Todd said:
- PA residents would be given a fine,
- out of staters would be arrested and held until the fine was paid.

Panzer

Not likely any out-of-staters would be held. The last place that I know of that tried that (City of Harrisburg after it busted a "rave" on a large island in the Susquehanna) ended up in a huge lawsuit that cost the municipality a ton of money. Simply put, state law does not actually allow that for summary offenses or misdemeanors unless they can show reasonable expectation you would not show up for a later hearing. Just being from out of state does not meet that threshold.

My experience with rangers in Pa. state parks has always been they don't hassle you about drinking if your drinking doesn't become a hassle. Stay quiet, keep the beverage under wraps, behave like gentlemen and ladies and they usually leave you alone.

StarLyte
01-10-2009, 13:58
I love seeing all of you, no matter who you are or what possessions you hold...but it's the depth of passion that I feel in a potential thru-hiker that is my reward from a Ruck.

And the food.

nopain
01-10-2009, 16:42
i will be hiking to the pa ruck from H.F. anyone down get with me....it's only 87 miles .....

BAG "o" TRICKS
01-14-2009, 13:06
i bet bag-o-tricks was involved :)

Yea, blame me for everything Wolf, get a life

Lone Wolf
01-14-2009, 13:09
Yea, blame me for everything Wolf, get a life

did you note the smily face oh sensitive one? :rolleyes:

Sly
01-14-2009, 13:45
did you note the smily face oh sensitive one? :rolleyes:

His name is probably in the system by now. :D

trailangelmary
01-15-2009, 01:58
Good post in my humble opinion, Driveby. Just like most get togethers, don't fluant the alocholic beverages and do as you hopefully do on the trail - LNT.

I did not know that Ranger Todd was there last year. Are you speaking of Ranger Todd Remaly? Good man in my opinion.

Although funny after the event, I will remember the stone wall is there this year if I happen into that driveway!

I have to work Saturday but may come down for the Friday evening festivities at the hostel and then return home and come back after work on Saturday. Depends on my funds. I have to look at the schedule. I'm hoping it will work out that I can be there for any presentations about the museum.

And of course to help Marsha in the kitchen!

Sly
01-15-2009, 02:15
I did not know that Ranger Todd was there last year. Are you speaking of Ranger Todd Remaly? Good man in my opinion.

I would think it's a different ranger Todd in a state park. Isn't Todd Remaley with the NPS?

sly dog
01-15-2009, 12:15
I think my brother,keystone, and I might hike south into the ruck, one nite at a shelter but unsure what night yet.

Pickleodeon
01-16-2009, 09:32
Pine Grove Furnace State Park is closed for construction!! I had to cancel my reservation. Any ideas where to stay, prefereably somewhere cheap. I don't know if the hostel is full yet or not, but can anyone reccomend someplace nearby? I wanted to camp and try out my sleeping bag setup to make sure I'm comfortable temperature-wise. Guess that's not happening. :(

Sly
01-16-2009, 09:35
Closed for construction this time of year?

Pickleodeon
01-16-2009, 10:49
I made a reservation at the hostel, but I'm sure they will be filling up quickly for the weekend. They weren't aware of it either until I called them.

The PA State Park Reservation 1888-PA-Parks called me and said they're cancelling and refunding everyone. It's closed until April.

Sly
01-16-2009, 10:52
The PA State Park Reservation 1888-PA-Parks called me and said they're cancelling and refunding everyone. It's closed until April.

That's going to put a damper on things.

Pickleodeon
01-16-2009, 12:34
:( yep. I talked to the hostel. They said they'll try to figure something out, maybe even have people camp in the yard, but I don't know if that'll happen for sure.

trailangelmary
01-16-2009, 13:06
I would think it's a different ranger Todd in a state park. Isn't Todd Remaley with the NPS?

yes

StarLyte
01-17-2009, 09:17
I wish I could have posted a more positive message here about the campground being closed. Please don't be alarmed.

I am speaking with the caretakers and we are working out a camp for the PA Rucksters.

If you feel this is not an option, you can stay inside of the hostel, or at a motel in Carlisle.

If you think about it, it's a good thing. Amy Skowronek is organizing a tent display, so they'll be lots of tents on the property anyways :) The hostel bathroom, kitchen would be in your back yard. If you ask me, that's a good thing. You can wake up and walk next door to the festivities instead of driving up to the hostel like before.

As soon as we work out the FULL DETAILS we'll post a message back here.

camojack
01-17-2009, 16:13
If there's "no room at the inn", I might just have to sleep in the "Camobile" again. :-?

I hope it's not ZERO degrees like the last time I tried it, if it comes to that... :eek:

Gary
01-17-2009, 20:09
HOLY SCHNIKE !!!! (http://wordie.org/words/schnike)

What about the "Group" camping site? This will put quite a damper on things.

StarLyte
01-20-2009, 15:27
Hello once again,

Several things regarding this year's PA Ruck:

1. The State Park campground is closed until April 03. The park is under construction--in particular the bathrooms/showers. They started construction and ran into freezing pipe problems and now have to wait until warmer weather to continue. The closing of the campground has nothing to do with anything other than construction, not the PA Ruck. Ranger Ken welcomes you as well. (I know you would ask this-Ranger Todd works elsewhere.)

2. The hostel would like to offer its' grounds to PA Rucksters for a small donation, starting at $10. The tent set up area will be to the right of the hostel if you are facing the hostel from the street. There is ALSO a community campfire ring about 40 feet from the campsites. There is some wood, but any wood brought would be valuable to your comfort :) Campers are welcome to use the inside bathroom facilities. Your courtesy is appreciated. I love the idea of all the campers being right outside the hostel near a community campfire WITHIN walking distance! And it's cheaper than the campsite fee.

3. The overnight hostel fee is $27.00 per night. There is a $10 day usage fee-applied towards Saturday. If you phone, they would like a 1 night's deposit via credit card or mailed check. They have a 24 hour cancellation policy...this means if you would like your refund, you must cancel your reservation at least 24 hours in advance of checking in.

4. There are hardly any food donation or supplies sent my way, yet there are many reservations made at the hostel. If you haven't done so, could you just drop me a line and let me know what you are bringing? We don't want 10 people bringing coffee....nor 50 people bringing hams....thanks!

5. The Kid's program is canceled until next year when more time can be spent and more responses are heard. Kids are welcome and if you are bringing kids, would you introduce them to me so I can mention next year and stir the interest.

6. Don't forget the Hiker's Garage Sale donation is next to the stairway, and others have mentioned slideshows but have not yet sent that info...please email me with what you have. Jim & Ginny, Skeeter and Weathercarrot are already scheduled.

7. After you check-in at the hostel front desk, take a name tag, program and please continue into the kitchen so that we can accept your donation(s) and prepare for the weekend. Vera "Missing Kink" will be your Friday night kitchen guru...thanks kid.

Thanks !
Marsha

driveby
01-20-2009, 17:19
i was just there 3 weeks ago. when did they close the campground? All the construction was done when i was there. the bathrooms were done and very nice.

Lone Wolf
01-20-2009, 17:21
i was just there 3 weeks ago. when did they close the campground? All the construction was done when i was there. the bathrooms were done and very nice.

they probably just don't want the ruckers in there :D

StarLyte
01-20-2009, 17:39
They closed it last week.

The idea of the campsites being up near the hostel is great - so when Mary does her car tricks, we can charge passer-bys on Pine Grove Road :eek:

Ain't that right Mary? :confused:

(lemme see what other tricks we can charge for.....)

Panzer1
01-20-2009, 21:14
If we camp on the Hostel lawn, do the park rangers have legal jurisdiction there?

Panzer :confused:

1Pint
01-20-2009, 22:06
SoRuck had tons of paper plates, napkins, paper towels, and cups left over. I've just updated the google spreadsheet to show those supplies will be making an appearance at the PA Ruck. I'll likely be arriving late on Friday, so the supplies probably won't be available for Friday's dinner. Pickle signed up for some of those things already, so hopefully Pickle's items can be used for Friday's dinner.

I'm looking forward to seeing you all soon.

1Pint/Laura

StarLyte
01-21-2009, 12:24
If we camp on the Hostel lawn, do the park rangers have legal jurisdiction there?

Yes. The hostel sits on State property.

StarLyte
01-21-2009, 12:25
SoRuck had tons of paper plates, napkins, paper towels, and cups left over. I've just updated the google spreadsheet to show those supplies will be making an appearance at the PA Ruck. I'll likely be arriving late on Friday, so the supplies probably won't be available for Friday's dinner. Pickle signed up for some of those things already, so hopefully Pickle's items can be used for Friday's dinner.

I'm looking forward to seeing you all soon.

1Pint/Laura

Laura thanks a lot - we'll need it.

StarLyte
01-21-2009, 12:33

Panzer my friend - it will be all right. Just bring your mashed potatoes in that crock pot and your smile. :sun

Lone Wolf
01-21-2009, 12:55
no alcohol allowed then if on state property. the hostel doesn't allow it

StarLyte
01-21-2009, 14:01
no alcohol allowed then if on state property. the hostel doesn't allow it

That's right - the hostel sits on government property. There is no alcohol allowed in the hostel or on the property.

I knew a couple who once considered getting married at the hostel but changed their minds because they couldn't serve champagne to their guests.

BAG "o" TRICKS
01-21-2009, 16:28
Regarding the situation at Pine Grove Furnace State Park Campground.
Just for the record. This post is not meant for all PA Ruck attendees only for those
who shall we say 'have partaken' at the campground's unofficial campfire/site over the years.

First off let me state that any 'problems' are not with the park rangers. In my opinion, based on what I've experienced in talking directly with them over the past few years is this. The rangers are genuinely very nice and have been 'extremely understanding' and lenient' with us, all things considered.., 'that was until last year'.
What has happened year after year that has finally soured them on our campfire area group is this.., and it basically boils down to 'behavior and respect';

Problems sited and witnessed by park rangers:

The campfire group is much too loud after quiet hours. Basically loud music, the yelling, screaming, hollering, and the occasional running of a leaf blower or chainsaw in the early morning hours. This 'behavior' is what initially has drawn attention to our group. We have been warned by the rangers many times over the past few years about this after 'others', (for the most part not in the PA Ruck campground group), complained to park officials. This type of 'behavior', although seemingly harmless and usually very funny 'to us' at the time, usually leads to an early morning (6am) visit to our site by a park ranger. The past few years I've retired early from the campfire and revelry, guess I'm getting too old. For whatever good it does, apparently none, before retiring I do a clean-up and make a point to an announcement to all remaining at the campfire to police the area when they are done. The reason being the site is usually mine or another friends and we would be responsible should anything happen. Now if those that were consuming and partying into the wee hours should not remember to clean-up the area when retiring, then the first to wake in the morning will usually find countless bottles and cans strewn about in plain sight around the campfire area, all compliments of the 'inebriated and irresponsible'. Well that was the case last year and I might add the past few years.
Last year and the year before I was lucky enough to be the first to wake to that very situation. I got really po'd after seeing the mess last year and decided to wake those who left it by clanging bottles and cans loud enough, I thought, to wake the dead. Unfortunately it was not loud enough to wake any of the those who partook into the late night /early morning revelry, you can never find that leaf blower when you really need it. I had cleaned up the majority of the mess but not all of it when ranger Todd, (no not NPS Todd R.) who was making his early morning rounds stopped at our site. He got out of his vehicle looked around at the many illegally parked vehicles then walked over past the picnic table and campfire where bottles and cans I had not yet gotten to along with food where still out and in plain view. He then noticed all of the tents beyond the designated site area. After a brief conversation with me about all of the illegal situations on the site he told me to get everyone in the immediate area up and out of their tents and that he would be back in twenty minutes to 'have a talk' with us. Matty that's when you woke up, and you and others that were there know the rest of the story.
My only advice is heed the rangers warning, he was not kidding. I strongly suggest you know the rules and regs in 'any' area you may plan to camp and decide to consume. Trust me on this one, some of us literally paid for it last year. Possibly consider the campground, if it is closed, to be a blessing in disguise.

Lone Wolf
01-21-2009, 16:32
so no drinking at all at PA Ruck. problem solved

StarLyte
01-21-2009, 17:51
:eek:

Okay, so we've gotten THAT out of the way.

Hope to see you there Tricks. We need you and Gary at the community campfire :D

It's not the same without you guys, you know that. I wish Lone Wolf would come up.

StarLyte
01-21-2009, 17:56
Besides, this light bulb needs changing...

StarLyte
01-22-2009, 06:55
Hello PA Rucksters...

This is what we need still:

Friday night:

Sauces for pasta: meat and marinara
Sausage(?) or any other meats (pre-cooked or cook it there if you're arriving before 4-5)
Salad
Breads (already baked unless you are arriving earlier in the day)
butter/oleo
Cheeses for pasta
desserts
2 more boxes of spaghetti (we have 4 donated)

Saturday (& Sunday) breakfast:
No organization - 1Pint and myself have baked goods, but that's it

Saturday soup Benefit:
We only have 3 soups and 1 chili so far, we NEED MORE
folks are starving after the 3 hour hike!

Saturday dinner:
We need everything - only 4 dishes so far
-meats
-your favorite dish
-ethnic dishes
-side dishes
-breads
-butter/oleo
-desserts !!!!!!

*****Appalachian Trail movies, slide shows needed*****

Firewood for the community campfire ring which will be right outside of the hostel this year--if you have any, please bring it, or drop it off ahead of time if you're local. The campfire ring is near the front opposite side of the hostel from the chess board.

We'll update once more next week - please email me at: [email protected]
with your ideas and contributions

Thank you!

Tin Man
01-22-2009, 07:54
so no drinking at all at PA Ruck. problem solved

rots o ruck wid dat

Pickleodeon
01-22-2009, 14:34
as far as plates/paper products and things go, mine wont be there in time for Friday dinner.

StarLyte
01-24-2009, 08:52
as far as plates/paper products and things go, mine wont be there in time for Friday dinner.

Thanks for letting us know - we'll use what is there, and the hostel has regular plates.

We'll see you when you get there - not to worry.

Thank you!

1Pint
01-29-2009, 21:47
Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow night! :sun Have a safe drive, everyone!!

jethro
01-29-2009, 22:39
Have a great time, y'all! Wish I could be there.

StarLyte
01-30-2009, 06:59
Hello friends,

Leaving soon for the PA Ruck, anyone attending should have clear driving, but we all know how that can change.

Only things needed for the Ruck are main dishes for Saturday night, soups and chilies for Saturday lunch benefit and DESSERTS :)

Peanut
02-06-2009, 08:04
If any of you guys who were there are interested in pictures (I don't have too many, but they are enjoyable), PM me with your email and I can send the link. :)

Have a good one!

StarLyte
02-15-2009, 08:34
I posted a few photos of friends at the PA Ruck, click here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?c=661&userid=).