PDA

View Full Version : National Geographic Topo

Homer&Marje
12-29-2008, 09:03
So I just received the New England version of National Geographic Topo program for the computer. Seems great so far, anyone have suggestions on how to get the most out of the available tools and or hints on making the best maps possible.

Any bad reviews of this program are also warranted please if you have a specific complaint I might be able to avoid. I have already played with some things like the elevation profiles, and 3D fly threw and it's pretty cool so far.

Thanks.

buckwheat
12-29-2008, 09:55
Link to the program? Was it freeware, or payware?

Sly
12-29-2008, 10:12
Halfmile made a series of maps for the 1700 miles California section of the PCT using NG Topo and a GPS. They're really detailed, .5 to per inch with waypoints and water. I believe he intnds on mapping the entire trail info.

http://www.pctmap.net/

Lyle
12-29-2008, 10:50
Halfmile made a series of maps for the 1700 miles California section of the PCT using NG Topo and a GPS. They're really detailed, .5 to per inch with waypoints and water. I believe he intnds on mapping the entire trail info.

http://www.pctmap.net/

Gee, he'll have to update every time someone kicks a rock off the trail. :D

FatMan
12-29-2008, 11:07
National Geographic Topo is good stuff. I have older version so I suspect it now has much more gadgetry.

But I must warn you, mine says Neels Gap instead of Neel Gap so it might not be that accurate.;)

buckwheat
12-29-2008, 14:37
But I must warn you, mine says Neels Gap instead of Neel Gap so it might not be that accurate.;)

Yea, those National Geographic guys are a bunch of hiking posers.

BrianLe
12-29-2008, 15:02
I've found their software to be somewhat buggy; I used to be a software guy, and my sense is that they don't have super high quality control, so that when you get a software update, it will typically fix some bugs and add new ones. That said, the most desktop PC product works pretty well and I'm happy with it.

Getting the best use out of it depends in part on how you plan to use it. One vector is use with a GPS, either just to put waypoints onto your GPS, or perhaps to use on one that actually shows the map on the GPS. For the latter, they sell a product called PocketTopo, and I used that on my smartphone for my entire PCT thru-hike this year, i.e., through all of CA, OR, and WA. It's particularly buggy and irritating software, but it does the basic function well, albeit somewhat slowly.

Another vector is printing out maps. I'd suggest practicing this rather than trying to print out the perfect map 5 minutes before driving to the trailhead. There's a little learning curve. For me that includes minimizing the margins, putting the right info on the map, and the art of minimizing map sheets printed while having everything covered that I want. It is nice, however, to be able to trim maybe 1/4" off a margin and fit the sheet into a gallon ziplock bag as a map "case".

For printing the maps, I'm a huge fan of adding a UTM grid overlay on it, but that's only meaningful if you're using a GPS.

Despite any negatives in the above, I think you'll be happy with your purchase.

Brian Lewis

Homer&Marje
12-29-2008, 17:03
Just found a feature I might like, they sell a specific "photo like" paper for you to make your own waterproof maps on your inkjet printer. Gonna have to try that. Although I generally just laminate them with contact paper or carry a ziplock for multiple maps.

I'll try and see if it is a "good buy" for the paper. (Although I fear it's probably expensive)

brianos
12-29-2008, 22:52
Another waterproofing idea - check Office Depot (or similar store) for clear plastic envelopes. I got a pkg of 10 5"x8" a few months back (think the pkg was about $6); smaller & larger sizes were also available. For my last hiking trip I printed out trail maps & trimmed them down so one folded printout fits into the envelope. Fits well in the front pocket of my hiking pants where it's easily accessible.