PDA

View Full Version : Wilmington NC Practice AT hikes

texashiker
04-14-2004, 20:55
My father is 70% going with me on a section hike of Conn. in July. He is looking for practice hikes within 3 hours of Wimington, NC. Ideas?

Thanks-
Texashiker

bobgessner57
04-14-2004, 22:41
Haven't done this one yet, but the Neusiok trail in Croatan NF near Havelock is about 20 miles, runs through coastal forests, pocosin, etc. It may be pretty messed up from hurricane Isabel, part of that area was pretty well trashed and heavily flooded. Check with the Forest Service first.

The Birkhead Mountain Wilderness Area near Asheboro may be a bit more than 3 hours from Wilmington but is quite pretty and is interesting historically.
You can easily put together a 13-15 mile figure eight with some side spurs. This area has old gold mines, remains of colonial farms, and part of the trail is the old wagon road travelled by Frank and Jesse James. The terrain is gently rugged, sort of token mountain. Nice wildflowers this time of year. Uwharrie National Forest manages the Birkheads.

Another network of trails in the Uwharries is near Troy. The Dutchmans Creek trail offers a figure eight approximately 20 miles long. Some of the trail is steep and rocky, most is fairly gentle. Some interesting stretches but I prefer the Birkheads for a quick weekend trip. Both Dutchmans and the Birkheads tend to get a lot of youth groups on the weekends but are less travelled on the weekdays.