PDA

View Full Version : coup of noodles vs ramin

snowhoe
12-29-2008, 14:20
For those of you who eat ramin and or cup of noodles which do you like better?

TomWc
12-29-2008, 15:10
My favorite is Chili flavored Ramen, with foil chicken and knorr spring vegetable soup mix for veggies.

Spogatz
12-29-2008, 15:35
Chicken ramen with a little sqeeze butter and a pack of cooked chicken.

Captain
12-29-2008, 15:36
ramen with spam and rice and lentil beans, kind of like a thru hikers jambalaya

KG4FAM
12-29-2008, 16:17
My favorite is Chili flavored Ramen, with foil chicken and knorr spring vegetable soup mix for veggies.Chili flavor is the best.

Cup of Noodles is just too bulky to hike with.

weary
12-29-2008, 16:51
For those of you who eat ramin and or cup of noodles which do you like better?
I can't answer the poll because ramen is simply a thin noodle. Ramen is popular on the trail because it cooks easily and rapidly. And being thin even isn't too bad just eaten dry. The taste, like the taste of all noodle concoctions, depends on what is used as a flavoring.

I sometimes discard the flavor packets that come with most ramen, and add various mixtures of my own, or add stuff to the packets to make a more filling and nourishing meal.

Weary

Slo-go'en
12-29-2008, 16:56
Cup of Noodles is just too bulky to hike with.

I suppose one could repackage the C of N into baggies and ditch the styrafoam cup.

Rammas with hot chocolate for flavor is a good breakfist on a cold morning :)

Captain
12-29-2008, 17:21
real men add Tabasco and A-1 to their ramen

Lone Wolf
12-29-2008, 17:24
real men add Tabasco and A-1 to their ramen

weenies pack ramens. real men carry big cans of dinty moore beef stew and smother it in habenero sauce

Captain
12-29-2008, 17:28
weenies pack ramens. real men carry big cans of dinty moore beef stew and smother it in habenero sauce

I want to be your son

buckwheat
12-29-2008, 17:45
I want to be your son

I, on the other hand, would just prefer you be my Sherpa.

boarstone
12-29-2008, 18:10
ramin...easier to pack, cup-o-noodles squish all over the place unless "handled" right, are round, harder to pack...JMO

Jim Adams
12-29-2008, 18:50
ramen, cooked, drained and cooled. add re-hydrated broccolli, cauliflower, onions, carrots, pepperoni and a packet of italian dressing...pasta salad.

geek

Freeze
12-30-2008, 11:11
I like Korean Ramen with a slice of cheese. Sometimes add tuna. I got addicted to it while stationed in Korea. We would trade our MRE’s for a ramen w/ cheese and a coke. Ajima made out like a bandit! When back in the barracks, we would cook it in our canteen cups, using an inverted Iron as a stove.

http://image.nongshim.com/eng/pro/Shinramyun.jpg

jersey joe
12-30-2008, 11:17
I like cup o noodles more but they are a pain to hike with...the cup always gets crushed in my backpack.

Tinker
12-30-2008, 12:09
I haven't tried Ramen since the 1980s. I hated it then. There are any number of soup ingredient packages available for trail soups at regular markets. They take time to cook, though, whereas Ramen is about as simple as it gets. The seasoning packets used to be full of MSG and salt (bad for older folks like me, so I quit adding it to foods a few years ago).

So - should I try the new Ramen?

TomWc
12-30-2008, 12:31
So - should I try the new Ramen?

It ain't new, pretty much the same as always, though there are now non-fried varieties. I only use a little of the seasoning packet. I like it just fine plain, but it's much better as a base with dehydrated vegetables and foil pack chicken.

Live the Journey
12-30-2008, 12:38
I sometimes discard the flavor packets that come with most ramen

OMG!!! Can I have the flavor packets your tossing!! They're the best part!

garlic08
12-30-2008, 13:07
Ramen wins for me, even as a stoveless hiker. Eaten non-cooked, they're a big, cheap, oily (in a good way) cracker, easy to find, easy to carry, and did I say cheap?

Alligator
12-30-2008, 14:01
I like Korean Ramen with a slice of cheese. Sometimes add tuna. I got addicted to it while stationed in Korea. We would trade our MRE’s for a ramen w/ cheese and a coke. Ajima made out like a bandit! When back in the barracks, we would cook it in our canteen cups, using an inverted Iron as a stove.

http://image.nongshim.com/eng/pro/Shinramyun.jpgMy brother introduced those to me after he returned from Korea. They're really good.

Rockhound
12-30-2008, 14:40
Ramens. Just say no to the styrofoam cups.

Speer Carrier
12-30-2008, 14:43
OMG!!! Can I have the flavor packets your tossing!! They're the best part!

I toss my flavor packs as well. Too much sodium and msg for my taste. I usually just put Molly McButtter on them. Taste great to me. Of course, I also can't tell much difference between a hamburger from Wendys and an expensive fillet mignon. So maybe I just have a taste problem.

Newb
12-31-2008, 10:26
cup of noodles is housed in styrofoam. tsk tsk.

TomWc
12-31-2008, 10:40
I originally took the question to be lipton sides/cup-o-soup vs ramen, but now I see that it's cup-o-noodle. Cup-o-noodle is Nissen Ramen in a cup with some dehydrated peas and carrots. Not enough of a difference to matter to me, other than the packaging.

A better question is Lipton cup-o-soup/sides vs. Ramen.

Ramen still wins for me, I'm not big on the lipton sides.

superman
12-31-2008, 11:18
I got sick of trail food real fast...including ramen. I always throw a few ramen in my pack just in case I've under planned my food. I have cereal for breakfast and I bring a loaf a bread, cold cuts and squeeze bottle mustard. when it's too warm for cold cuts I bring tuna or anything that won't rot fast. The only real trail food that I like is snickers. I'm not a good trail cook...I screw up the "just add water stuff." My point is the only redeeming value Ramen has is that it's light.:)

Gaiter
01-01-2009, 16:32
ramen but w/ dried veggies added to it

mkmangold
01-01-2009, 17:49
Or, you can make your own noodles, cook them, dehydrate them, and bring along instead. The ones I make are made like German Spätzle and so are high in protein and low in simple carbs.

Serial 07
01-01-2009, 18:05

my grama used to buy dinty moore beef stew in costco sized pallets for me when i was in college...i think i would vomit now if i had to eat one of them...that and crown royal...i drank a pallet sized amount one night...my grama was actually there, but she didn't pour it for me...that was grampa...oh, those were the days...

Sly
01-01-2009, 18:22
I may use ramen to add to Knorr (Lipton) Sides Plus with Veggies.

You can get these from Amazon. Maybe a little expensive but free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Knorr-Veggies-Vegetables-4-4-Ounce-Pouches/dp/B0018N6I7W/ref=pd_bxgy_gro_img_b

Gaiter
01-01-2009, 19:06
or if buying trying to buy lipton in bulk look for a local grocery/convenience store type wholesaler.... probably find them cheaper there than amazon... but not all wholesalers like that will sale to the public, usually there is a sign out front if they all public or not