PDA

View Full Version : cannondale

brack
04-14-2004, 21:11
hey this post has nothing to do with hiking so it may be deleted or frowned upon or most likely just commented on until it turns into a rambling about something as unimportant as my question, but anyway here it goes...

i am looking for a cannondale sport bike. just wondering if anyone knows of a place i can maybe find one used or an older model over the internet or if any of you have one laying around. and does anyone know of any bike trips that lead to hiking? like a 100 mile ride 100 mile hike? anyone here do anything like that? thanks everyone...

brack

bobgessner57
04-14-2004, 22:18
The C & O canal towpath crosses the AT at Harpers Ferry. The towpath is a national park, has campsites along the way, and runs from Washington to Cumberland, Maryland or thereabouts.

You might also ride the Blue Ridge Parkway or Skyline Drive and tie it into the AT or other trails. West Virginia also has some trails such as the Greenbrier and the Alleghany but I don't have any personal experience there.

hungryhowie
04-14-2004, 23:34
Can't help you on a used one, check out what your local dealer says. Sometimes they'll deal used bikes, or have a bulletin board for their customers to sell on.

I've got two Cannondales (T2000, F700SX w/ lefty) and absolutely love them. As far as planned trips, there are many possibles.

On the east coast, there's the Mountains to Sea Trail (MST) that begins on Clingmans Dome in the Smokies and travels east to the ocean. Large parts of it are still road walks, so many of the folks that have done the entire thing have used bikes.

Large parts of the Colorado Trail are open to mtn biking, so you could perhaps plan a thru-hike and bike (where legal) of that.

I planned a trip (hasn't happened yet) that would have me bike from my home town (in Alabama) to Colorado, bike around the state while stopping and climbing all 54 14,000ft peaks in the state, and then biking back. That'd be a lot of fun.

Then there's always the west coast. US1 has a bike lane for most of its miles in Oregon, Washington and (I think) California. People bike that whole stretch every year and there are some excellent places to hike and explore in that country.

Check online. There are several places (I don't remember where, it's been a couple of years since I researched this topic) that are dedicated to finding the best/most scenic/safest/least traveled route for bikers out there.

I'm sure you'll be able to find something.

-Howie

Jody7818
04-15-2004, 07:09
Hi. Your location says your in "Athens". Is that the Athens in Georgia? I don't know the bike shops in Athens, but there are a couple here in Gainesville. A friend of mine recently purchased a new Cannondale from a place called Adventure Cycles. They will knock off a little on the price. Also, he purchased the bike using a credit card. So they knocked off for that as well. I think they have a website. You should check it out.

Jody

gravityman
04-15-2004, 11:11
Large parts of the Colorado Trail are open to mtn biking, so you could perhaps plan a thru-hike and bike (where legal) of that.

-Howie

Just thought that I would mention that you can Mountain Bike the entire Colorado Trail. There are alternate routes in some areas for mountain bikes, but it's still the colorado trail. They don't distinguish between an "official" path and an alternate route. Seems the AT is the only trail that does that (silly if you ask me, but it's the ATC's certificate, and they can specify it as they see fit)

Gravity man

Grimace
04-15-2004, 12:30
I was just out in Seattle and came accross the PNT (Pacific Northwest Trail). It runs from Glacier NP to Olympic National Park. www.pnt.org The part I was on allowed mtn bikes. In fact I think the majority of it does though I know little about the trail. Best to check out the website.