PDA

View Full Version : How did you make for xmas

phishpapond
12-29-2008, 21:15
I think I did great.
How about you.

Now that I have read A walk in the woods I just don't get why people don'y likr it. It's a great book and the guy never tried to fake anything

Lone Wolf
12-29-2008, 21:16
how did we make what?

phishpapond
12-29-2008, 21:18
http://http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/8/5/5/1/dsc_0044_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=30157&c=516)one

Lone Wolf
12-29-2008, 21:19
huh? :-?

phishpapond
12-29-2008, 21:22
Sorry about that little to much rum.

Should have said HOW DID YOU MAKEOUT FOR XMAS
Tried to add pics don't know what want wrong.
Just take a look at my pics

Pedaling Fool
12-29-2008, 21:25

Tried to add pics don't know what want wrong.
Just take a look at my pics
I'd rather have a Bigwheel.

Lone Wolf
12-29-2008, 21:27

made out with myself. honey was away. just me and my left hand date

johnnybgood
12-29-2008, 21:35
I'll take that one for $400 Alex.:cool:

Egads
12-29-2008, 21:38
strangest thread I've read

phishpapond
12-29-2008, 21:39
strangest thread I've read
Thank you very much

Tinker
12-29-2008, 21:39

Trying to repress imagination....................:eek:

Tinker
12-29-2008, 21:45
I did just fine. Got some new casually nice pants, shirts, and socks ('cause my wife knows I'm not likely to buy clothing unless I can work or hike in it).
Spinnaker MacCat tarp should ship from OES tomorrow. I had to buy myself something I really needed :p. (I hate spending the money almost as much as I hate carrying extra weight).
Other than that, nothing for hiking (unless you count the NY/NJ AT guidebook, but that's just a part of my usual hiking expenses).

superman
12-29-2008, 21:59
When I was a kid I used to get clothes. When I grew up I got ties. Now I get slippers. ...I still want toys, damn it!

Feral Bill
12-29-2008, 23:31
I spent time with friends and family. What else matters?

Lion King
12-29-2008, 23:34
A shaving kit and some PJs.

Best part was moms cooking, although she put about 12 LBS on me with cookies and good GA home cooking over the last two weeks.

Now I gotta hike again..

weary
12-29-2008, 23:48
I think I did great.
How about you.

Now that I have read A walk in the woods I just don't get why people don'y likr it. It's a great book and the guy never tried to fake anything
My suggestion is for you to hike a bit of the trail. and talk to the thru hikers you meet. And then read the book again.

Weary

Gaiter
12-29-2008, 23:53
didn't really get much hiking wise, but did get some cash that i was going to pair w/ a REI gift card i got a while back, but turns out i've hid the card from myself, now i can't find it

buff_jeff
12-30-2008, 00:02
I didn't get anything, but I was in a hostel less than a quarter mile away from the beach in Hawaii, so it's all good.

fiddlehead
12-30-2008, 02:28
Interesting to see the cultural differences between back in America and here in Thailand. I got back here 3 days before Christmas and had to go to the big dept store to stock up on things like soap, coffee, tp etc.
When i was there, i noticed that the only things related to Christmas (this is a Buddhist country) was baskets of food with a bow on them to buy for presents and some decorations (small) for the house.

I didn't think much of it and had a big suitcase full of presents from me and my family from the states for my 3 year old and my wife.
Christmas morning came and we watched my boy open presents for a while and then my wife handed me two presents for me, one from each of them.
In my boys gift to me, was a can of coke.
In my wife's was an apple with a small bow on it.

I thought: now these Thai people seem to be a lot smarter at giving gifts than us Americans. They didn't go into debt, got something they knew i would like, and everyone felt great about it.

Lone Wolf
12-30-2008, 05:29
i didn't give or recieve any gifts. i felt good about it

Egads
12-30-2008, 07:28
We took the family on a trip instead of overindulging them with stuff. They will remember the trip longer than the stuff.

TomWc
12-30-2008, 08:54
Well, we did the commercialized american thing and tried to help out the recession. Kids got a wii and starwars and dora toys. I found that boxing is quite a workout. I recieved a grundig s-350 shortwave radio from my wife and a campmor gift cert. :sun

I got my wife a full day at the spa.

:banana:banana:banana

dkh178
12-30-2008, 09:22
I got a Leatherman Wave and a REI gift card. The kids got the obligatory wii.

superman
12-30-2008, 10:43
Well, we did the commercialized american thing and tried to help out the recession. Kids got a wii and starwars and dora toys. I found that boxing is quite a workout. I recieved a grundig s-350 shortwave radio from my wife and a campmor gift cert. :sun

I got my wife a full day at the spa.

:banana:banana:banana

I helped the economy by giving depressed stocks. In 2009 either they'll be worth more or nothing. It's almost like giving lottery tickets.:banana:banana

Red Hat
12-30-2008, 10:49
Spinnaker MacCat tarp should ship from OES tomorrow. I had to buy myself something I really needed :p. (I hate spending the money almost as much as I hate carrying extra weight).

My ULMacCat went out yesterday... I bought it myself too, and I'm cheap! My husband bought me a new Seiko watch, because the jeweler said he couldn't replace the band on my old one (last spring). I've been just carrying it in my purse. Then when we went to get the new one resized for my skinny wrist, he fixed the old one for no charge. (Boy was I mad - had to buy a new one to get the old one fixed?!?)

Oh and my favorite gift is the calendar I get every year with my grandkids pics on it.

mudhead
12-30-2008, 13:18
i didn't give or recieve any gifts. i felt good about it

See above.

I'd rather have a Bigwheel.

Never had one of these. All the really cool stuff was after my time.

Went into a toys be us a year ago. Dang!

88BlueGT
12-30-2008, 15:58
I gottttttttttttttttt a

Gossamer gear sit pad
ULA Circuit
Equinox rain chaps
thermarest z lite pad
antigravity gear duct tape
gossamer gear "lighten up" DVD
nice hiking socks
and a few other small things that I just cant seem to remember.... so all together, it was GREAT. I havent received the Circuit yet though :( there was some miscommunication with the shipping and I'm still waiting to get it in the mail.

KG4FAM
12-30-2008, 16:55
A couple of Mountain House meals, a pair of Smartwool socks, Feathered Friends booties.

MOWGLI
12-30-2008, 16:58
I got just what I needed. NOTHING.

nufsaid
12-30-2008, 17:10

Just a little TMI. Hope you had a good time anyway. :)

Mags
12-30-2008, 17:11
I had my annual Christmas hike that my friend Marie organized and that I played trail guide for (..and if you look here, this is where the Arapaho used to gather for their ceremonies...)

At night, somehow I managed to be the only volunteer at another friend's house. I helped clean up when I was only there for wine and dessert. I'm either a nice guy, a sucker..or both. :D

cameronjreed
12-30-2008, 17:31
At night, somehow I managed to be the only volunteer at another friend's house. I helped clean up when I was only there for wine and dessert. I'm either a nice guy, a sucker..or both. :D

I vote "Nice Guy"

johnnybgood
12-30-2008, 21:46
I had my annual Christmas hike that my friend Marie organized and that I played trail guide for (..and if you look here, this is where the Arapaho used to gather for their ceremonies...)

At night, somehow I managed to be the only volunteer at another friend's house. I helped clean up when I was only there for wine and dessert. I'm either a nice guy, a sucker..or both. :D Second the motion

Cabin Fever
12-30-2008, 22:17
33 posts and about 4 or 5 are legitimate answers to the first question...sheesh.

I got a Katadyn Hiker Pro filter, Mountain Hardwear Dome Perignon hat, Deuter day pack and a pot load of hiker food.

Most importantly, I got some r and r.

Mags
12-30-2008, 22:22
33 posts and about 4 or 5 are legitimate answers to the first question...sheesh.

Most of us talked about spending time with family and friends on the holidays. How is that not legitimate?

At least for me, seeing friends I had not seen in a while is way better than any totchke I could get.

fiddlehead
12-30-2008, 22:57

I got a Katadyn Hiker Pro filter, Mountain Hardwear Dome Perignon hat, Deuter day pack and a pot load of hiker food.

Most importantly, I got some r and r.

What thread have you been reading????

phishpapond
12-30-2008, 23:26
My suggestion is for you to hike a bit of the trail. and talk to the thru hikers you meet. And then read the book again.

Weary
Got 2 of those maps already banged out. I try not to talk to thru hikers. I don't like it when down there nose at me.

slow
12-30-2008, 23:59
Got a W.M. bag for me, and a 500 gift card and some hiking shirts from others.:D

Wise Old Owl
12-31-2008, 00:08
I didn't ask for anything, I didn't get anything, I wasn't disappointed.

I got to hang out with family while they are all still alive. - another successful year.

RememberYourZen
12-31-2008, 00:11
Montbell U.L. down jacket!

Asolo Fugitive boots!

mudhead
12-31-2008, 07:48

It was nice of you to help her.

superman
12-31-2008, 09:36

To serve and be served are folds of the same garment

MOWGLI
12-31-2008, 13:07
OK, so I responded yesterday and said I got "NOTHING." But that's not really true. And I have a prettygood story.

My mother tells me she's sending us a "very unique" gift from National Geographic, and to be on the lookout for a package. The package was sent via UPS to my PO Box, so I had to drag my azz across town to pick up the package.

I get the package home, and it's a few days before Xmas. I asked my wife if we should open it, and she says OK. I open it up, and it's the strangest damn present I ever got. It's a wooden Chinese Opera mask. It's a brightly painted mask. But inside the box is also an SD card for a camera. Now... Mom is getting up there and is a little confused sometimes, so we just shrug it off.

The next day, my wife is talking to my Mom and thanks her for the present. She says,
"we love the mask, but what is the memory card for?" My Mom says, "Mask? What mask?"

Turns out, she meant to order us a night vision camera with a motion detector to take photos of wildlife at night. :D Somehow the camera got mixed up with the mask.

So.... I'm headed to UPS again in a few minutes to pick up my camera and send back the mask. Which is actually a pretty cool gift for someone who lives in a wildlife sanctuary and likes to backpack.

Dancer
12-31-2008, 14:37
Your a lefty? That's hot. Left handed men are better in bed. :D

Jaybird62
12-31-2008, 17:55
Got a Montbell UL Alpine down hugger #3 on the way:)

Mags
12-31-2008, 18:20
To serve and be served are folds of the same garment

No doubt. Just funny how I was there the least amount of time (I could not get there in time for dinner) and ate the least amount of food. And I was the only one who offered to help. :)

Catholic guilt is a strong motivator... ;)

(Actually, just think it was the right thing to do)

Greb
12-31-2008, 23:04
I was shocked when I got a SMD Starlite Pack along with a new down jacket from LLBean. Tied in with a recent purchase of a 20 degree Campmor bag I am set to camp. Wife thinks I am silly but it is going to be low twenties tomorrow night and I figure its a good night to rty out the new bag at home to see how warm I sleep in it.

Joey
12-31-2008, 23:38
New Millet pack, Millet windstopper jacket, Millet gloves and stretch jacket and a Winchester Model 70 (1974 model) 30-06 rifle w/ scope and sling. Santy was good to me!!!!

Gaiter
01-05-2009, 21:59
didn't really get much hiking wise, but did get some cash that i was going to pair w/ a REI gift card i got a while back, but turns out i've hid the card from myself, now i can't find it

found my rei gift card, last place i expected to find it, so i got a marmot driclime jacket!!!

Scrub
01-06-2009, 17:12
I got a pair of Asolo Power-matics. I just had to tell some folks that would understand how cool that is.

sheepdog
01-06-2009, 17:25
I got an autographed copy of Sarbar's book "Freezer bag cooking" WhoooooHooooo!!

flemdawg1
01-06-2009, 18:20
Scored a BA Crater 15 Down bag, a GG Ozone pack (bought w/ cash gift), a Land's End down vest, and DW made me a Silnylon hammock. Sweet!