PDA

View Full Version : Favorite/Least Favorite Section of AT

prain4u
12-29-2008, 23:02
I may get a chance for a 1-2 week "section hike" of the AT sometime this Summer (June, July, or August--with August being the most likely time that I will be able to get off from work.)

If you were to recommend a 1-2 week section hike for the summer--what would be your favorite (and/or least favorite) section of the AT to hike? (And, if care to elaborate, please tell me "why" you selected that section).

I know that there are really no "right" or "wrong" answers to this question. I am simply looking for your thoughts and ideas.

Tinker
12-29-2008, 23:08
Favorite so far - anywhere in Maine, especially between Stratton and Monson.

Least favorite so far (New England and Georgia).
Connecticut.

TrippinBTM
12-29-2008, 23:10
Favorites are hard to pick. I loved the Greyson Highlands in SW Virginia, though. Nice and open, the ponies were neat, and it was a gorgeous day when I went thru it. The whole section south of there was great.

Maine was great for remoteness, very wild. I was really just physically drained from my hike by then, so I don't think I enjoyed it as much as I could have; and that's saying a lot, because I enjoyed it immensely.

Least favorite: PA. It wasn't terrible, but I wouldn't go out of my way to hike it.

I say do from the Greyson Highlands down to Erwin or so. I can't remember how long it took to do it, but you could figure on that area (northern part of the AT in TN/NC, and the southern part of VA). The balds get you some great views and up out of the trees, but there's also lots of great woodland hiking in there too; good variety. Unaka mountain was probably the best wooded summit on the trail, in my memory it was very unique.

nightshaded
12-29-2008, 23:12
two weeks?
southern-central maine.
difficult, sure, but stunningly beautiful.

KG4FAM
12-29-2008, 23:16
two weeks?
southern-central maine.
difficult, sure, but stunningly beautiful.
yep, from the Bigelows south is awesome.

Tennessee Viking
12-29-2008, 23:28
Fav.-Roan Highlands, Big Bald, Max Patch

Least- Hughes Gap climb

Lion King
12-29-2008, 23:32
Least Fav, Everything between Port Clinton and somewhere near Vernon NJ

Favorite, New Hampshire, Ga and most of Maine. Oh hell, all of New England and most of the South.

Okay, all of the AT but that strecth I just mentioned at the top.

Cookerhiker
12-29-2008, 23:51
If you're talking mid-summer, no doubt that my least favorite is the low elevations of the Mid-Atlantic - MD, PA, NJ, NY, CT. But they're nice in Spring and Fall.

Favorite for July-August - NH and ME.
Favorite for June - VA, NC, TN

Since August is the most likely time for your hike, pick a stretch in NH or ME but how difficult do you want it to be? If you're willing to hike up long steep climbs of 2,000-3,000' of ascent, hike the Whites or the southernmost 100 miles of Maine. If you desire a less-taxing stretch, hike the 100 mile wilderness in Maine or Massachusetts up through Rt. 9 in Vermont.

FatMan
12-30-2008, 00:12
Georgia is not the place to section hike in early August, that is, unless you are a masochist. But if you can hold off until the last week in August GA can be a nice hike as long as there is water.

Kerosene
12-30-2008, 01:00
I've sectioned (75-140 miles per one-week hikes) everything from Erwin to Pinkham Notch, plus Georgia. For an older hiker who likely isn't in backpacking shape, I'd probably recommend Catawba, VA north to Waynesboro (about 150 miles). There are a number of nice views on this stretch (McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, Carvins Cove, Blue Ridge Parkway, James River Gorge, Lynchburg Reservoir, The Guillotine, Tar Jacket Hill, Spyglass Rock, The Priest, Humpback Rocks). The trailbed is smooth enough and the switchbacking is sufficient that you can maintain a good pace most of the time. The first week of October can be an ideal time to hike this section, especially if it isn't a drought year.

Bare Bear
12-30-2008, 02:30
For late summer: Monson NOBO.