PDA

View Full Version : Attn:2005 hikers and allready thru'd hikers

Heather
04-14-2004, 23:19
:welcome

If you are planning a 2005 thru-hike of the A.T. or are a thru-hiker we would like you to join our yahoo group to share advice and get to know our future hiking family. The address is
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AT2005/

We are also planning a chat maybe once a week.

See you there.

:banana

attroll
04-15-2004, 02:34

If you are planning a 2005 thru-hike of the A.T. or are a thru-hiker we would like you to join our yahoo group to share advice and get to know our future hiking family. The address is
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AT2005/

We are also planning a chat maybe once a week.

See you there.

:banana
Why don't all the 2005 prospective Thru-hikers come over here and join WhiteBlaze. I could create a user group just for 2005 hikers if you would like. Just let me know.

WalkinHome
04-15-2004, 06:24
Hi Heather,

Great idea to get the class of 2005 together early but as ATTROLL suggested, why re-invent the wheel? This site can handle your needs quite nicely and it would be "one stop shopping." Advice, current updates and a gathering place for you and your fellow 2005ers. Regardless, be safe and have a great hike.

flyfisher
04-15-2004, 06:37
Why don't all the 2005 prospective Thru-hikers come over here and join WhiteBlaze. I could create a user group just for 2005 hikers if you would like. Just let me know.

I'd join. I'm going. I'm retiring. I'm longing for that spring day.

Peak-a-Boo
04-15-2004, 15:20
I actually met Heather on the 2004 Yahoo group. Last year (2003) there was a Yahoo group called HikersRus and a lot of people met up through there - most of Pack 31 met up there, if I remember correctly. One of the 2004 groups does/did weekly (real-time) chats, also. Its how I met a lot of my buddies from this year. It was a great tool for meeting people...

I know that some members of the AT-L list had issue with the 2004 group, and I never really understood that. Its not so much reinventing the wheel (or as some felt, stealing the thunder from already established groups) as it is finding another way to get together and share info. I think it would be cool if there was a place on Whiteblaze for the 2005 hikers, too. Trust me, when I was planning, I wanted more, more, more...

attroll
04-15-2004, 21:07
Well if the 2005 hikers want me to create a forum titled "2005 Thru-hikers" then I can do that. But I don't want to create it and have just one or two users using it. Just let me know.

ladybird
04-15-2004, 23:31
i am looking forward to meeting my fellow hikers. i have read so much great info on this web site so far. it seems like a great place to get to know every one :clap

Kozmic Zian
04-16-2004, 00:05
:cool: Yea....Other Web Sites? Hmmmmm. Seems to me, if someone wants to know about the AT for this or anyother year, this is the place to be. Anything you want to know about a Thru-Hike in '05, or a dayhike in '98, is here. Why go to Yahoo? Boy, Wingfoot would go Off! Go there and do a Yahoo thing and find out what T********e thinks about it. I think Attrol is very kind and understanding of the 'newbie nieveate'. Lets ask questions about and meetup right here on Whiteblaze for the Hike in '05. Loyalty is a precious commodity. KZ@

Allen66
04-16-2004, 01:51
:clap If you build it WE will come.:clap

art to linda
04-16-2004, 07:17
would love to see a 2005 forum here! I've been learning everthing I can here as it has been MANY years since I've backpacked and all the new gear out there is astounding. Hiked the west coast area in my youth & now want to try the east...planing a 2005 (2006 at the latest!) thru of the AT & have a lot to learn/catch-up on :clap

flyfisher
04-16-2004, 09:58
Well if the 2005 hikers want me to create a forum titled "2005 Thru-hikers" then I can do that. But I don't want to create it and have just one or two users using it. Just let me know.

attroll,

I'd suggest we begin it. As the year goes on, we will probably pick up more and more people who are interested. If we end up with a parallel group on Yahoo, that's OK, though that group has only just begun with less than 10 postings when I checked 2 days ago. It looks like there are already several people here interested in doing it, and that is before it even exists.

If I can be of any service, monitoring/submonitoring the forum, I'd be glad to do so.

Go Class of 2005! :clap :clap :clap :D

Jaybird
04-16-2004, 10:24
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AT2005/ We are also planning a chat maybe once a week. :banana

Heather:

It's interesting that you post on WhiteBlaze.net to start a NEW FORUM elsewhere for hikers.....very, very interesting!

Why go to YAHOO? It's NOT very user-friendly (to hikers or anyone else)
I know this because i am a webmaster for many websites, myself & have used YAHOO GROUPS in the past...........

too many complaints about logging in...too many steps...etc.,etc.,etc.,

take ATTROLL up on his offer....start the FORUM here for the
"Class of '05"

attroll
04-16-2004, 11:06
OK. It sounds like you all want a forum for 2005 Thru-hikers. Now here is the question I ask of you 2005 Thru-hikers. Do you want the forum to be a public forum or a private forum?

What I mean but public is that everyone on WhiteBlaze can see it and reply to post in it. This would get you more resposes and answers to your post.

What I mean by private is that only 2005 Thru-hikers can go to it and read it and post and no one else can.

gravityman
04-16-2004, 12:03
OK. It sounds like you all want a forum for 2005 Thru-hikers. Now here is the question I ask of you 2005 Thru-hikers. Do you want the forum to be a public forum or a private forum?

What I mean but public is that everyone on WhiteBlaze can see it and reply to post in it. This would get you more resposes and answers to your post.

What I mean by private is that only 2005 Thru-hikers can go to it and read it and post and no one else can.

Tough question to answer. I see the main purpose of the forum as social (if we have general questions, we have the other forums) so I would vote for private... Might want to start a poll...

Gravity Man

Simrose
04-16-2004, 12:07
I'm so excited that you're going to start one up already. I feel like I'm submersing my life in this and just can't get enough! At least it's a pleasant drowning.
I think a public forum would be the way to go. I do have a question though as I don't know much about the group forums: if it was public, would we be able to tell who was a 2005 planner easily or would we have to figure it out for ourselves amongst the posters?
Yea! This is me when I join the group: :D

attroll
04-16-2004, 12:41
I'm so excited that you're going to start one up already. I feel like I'm submersing my life in this and just can't get enough! At least it's a pleasant drowning.
I think a public forum would be the way to go. I do have a question though as I don't know much about the group forums: if it was public, would we be able to tell who was a 2005 planner easily or would we have to figure it out for ourselves amongst the posters?
Yea! This is me when I join the group: :D
That would be the problem with making it public. You would not now if the users replying to the post were 2005 Thu-Hikers or not. There would be know way to tell unless that users put the title under their name like this sample below.

Simrose
2005 Thru-hiker hopeful

If you make it private then the other users would not be able to read that forum unless they told me they were 2005 Thru-Hikers and I assigned that forum to them. This can be good and bad. It would keep all you 2005 hikers in a group so you could stay in contact and no one other than 2005 hikers could read or reply to that forum.

I will do what ever you 2005 hikers want. But in my opinion there is no real need to talk about common things that are already talked about in the other forums of WhiteBlaze. For example asking opinions on gear and about certian sections of the trail. Because that kind of stuff should be asked in the public forums for getting more resposes from experienced hikers. I would think this new forum would be more or less like talking about the 2005 hike and asking each other questions about things like. What are your worries about doing this hike, when is your start date or working on hooking up with others before the hike. But like I said this would be your (2005 Thru-hikers) forum you tell me what you want.

ga>me>ak
04-16-2004, 13:13
My vote is for public.....

mdjeeper
04-16-2004, 14:38
I would put in vote for it to be public (though I'm not planning my hike till Jan of '06 (but doing the approach on dec 31, 05..so hey, guess I am an '05 in training then after all!) :)

reason i saw public though is that questions asked by '05ers, will be the same things asked by '06ers, 07ers etc. so anybody new in planning their hike might glean some new info from someone elses questions, or come up with some new questions that the answers to the previous question brought up..

Stabes
04-16-2004, 18:40
I vote for public. Seems to me that while having a forum strictly for us "planning for 2005" hikers would have some benefits, the input of veterans would outweigh those benefits. By the way I would also like to express how much I LOVE this site, though it's becoming a problem because I am so addicted!

flyfisher
04-16-2004, 20:44
I will do what ever you 2005 hikers want. But in my opinion there is no real need to talk about common things that are already talked about in the other forums of WhiteBlaze. For example asking opinions on gear and about certian sections of the trail. Because that kind of stuff should be asked in the public forums for getting more resposes from experienced hikers. I would think this new forum would be more or less like talking about the 2005 hike and asking each other questions about things like. What are your worries about doing this hike, when is your start date or working on hooking up with others before the hike. But like I said this would be your (2005 Thru-hikers) forum you tell me what you want.

Bucking the trend, I think it would be most useful as a private forum, anyone welcome, but 2005 wannabes and veterans that don't mind mentoring as the core members. No proof needed... So if someone wants to monitor the group because they don't like closed doors they can by declaring that they are going to be a 2005 hiker.

This could allow a little bit more openness, a little more community, and a little more of what Heather was originally talking about in her post.

Heather
04-16-2004, 20:46
I didn't think it was such a big deal to inform people of the at2005 yahoo group. Can I say that word here? I apologize if it was tacky to post for it on this website. As a previous posters said, it was newbie naivete. I was on a at2004 group when I thought I was going in '04 and I loved it. The closeness and friendships that grew between the members through the posts and in chat was a welcome surprise. I just wanted to repeat that with a new batch of hikers and some of the old ones from AT2004 who couldn't hike this year. Also, hikers that have already thru'd were members too and they added to the group as well. A few of the folks from whiteblaze joined AT2005 and noticed that we haven't had much postings yet and therefore our group sucks. (my wording). It may now but I know it will evolve into a great group. It might be better for them to check out AT2004 or AThikers2004 so they have a better idea what I was trying to achieve with the first post on this thread. Still though you can't get the whole picture since you can't read the chats that we had.

With that said, I would love to join the forming whiteblaze 2005 hiker group. If you will have me. Whiteblaze has better icons. :banana

art to linda
04-16-2004, 21:16
A public forum would work as long as the pros/ old timers don't jump all over us for our ignorance :) My Grandmother pounded into my thick little head that it is better to ask a dumb question then make a dumb mistake, so I may ask more then one "dumb" question! The East is a mystery to me, have only hike out west & around here so I want to make sure I don't get caught with a skirt in my pack when I should have the longhandles ;)

weirdfrog
04-21-2004, 19:35
Hi-- I lurk more than anything else right now, but my sister and I are planning a 20 march 05 nobo start. I'm sure as time goes on we'll be popping up here, there and everywhere. :)

It would be neat to get to know some of the folks heading out. As far as a 2005 forum here-- public, private, whatever--I'll come visit!

VAMTNHIKER
04-22-2004, 06:57
As a "someday Nobo" dreamer, I learn from everyones posts...

thank you!

... and I have been putting many lessons to the test during the last two years on section hikes...

Kyle & Lisa
04-22-2004, 08:37
One of the things I look forward to on the trail is meeting new people and forming friendships. So a forum for meeting those who might hike with me and my wife is not important. I think people tend to form false perceptions of others in the virtual realm, anyway.

With that said, I think a forum for 2005 would be ok and I would visit it--out of curiosity if nothing else.

Kyle

Simrose
04-23-2004, 13:13
My intent is not to stir waters or anything, but I went over and checked out the yahoo group this week and noticed that there is a message over there saying a 2005 forum will not be starting here on whiteblaze (any time soon at least). As there may be people waiting for the talked-about forum, can we get a confirm from Attroll on what's up?

attroll
04-23-2004, 13:45
I have not followed up on that post. But I did get the go ahead from some of the 2005 prospective thru-hikers on Yahoo to start a forum over here for 2005 hikers. The reason I was not going to start one here before getting the go ahead from over at Yahoo was because I did not want to make waves with a group that already existed. I want us all to get along. I was afraid that if I started one here I would create some animosity. But I have received the blessing from several users over there saying it would not be a problem.

But know we need to decide on what to do with this. For example. Do we make this and open forum and let everyone participate in it or do we make it a private forum for only prospective 2005 thru-hikers to be able to access.

Like I said in a previous post there may be some 2005 thru-hikers that want to keep it private and don’t want the inputs and some of the flack that previous thru-hikers and non thru-hikers reply with. They may just want to have their own little community.

If we open it to all users then what would be the purpose of even having the 2005 forum. We could just keep posting like we do.

I will put this in a vote later on tonight and post it after I get home form work. Then will do what ever the vote results tell me to.

Jack Tarlin
04-23-2004, 13:55
I think a separate Forum for the folks planning to go next year is a fine idea; it's a great way for next year's folks to meet and correspond with other 2005ers. That being said, I hope the 2005 folks also take part in and regularly contribute to the Regular Forums as well, as there's a great deal of information here that may benefit them as they plan their trip. (I say this because I've been on several other specific-year planning Forums at Yahoo, and VERY often, in fact almost daily, questions and problems come up where the new folks can absolutely benefit from ideas and suggestions from folks that have gone before, especially on such subjects as gear, scheduling, financing, re-supply, favorite hiker service providers/businesses, etc. It's fine for the 2005 folks to have a place of their own, but I hope very much that as well as this, they continue to learn from, and to participate in the regular Forums, which exist for EVERYONE's benefit, regardless of the level of their expertise and mileage).

Mr. Clean
04-24-2004, 17:33
How about giving all 2005 thrus the logo under their name, then they'd all know each other through regular posts as well.

attroll
04-24-2004, 17:53
How about giving all 2005 thrus the logo under their name, then they'd all know each other through regular posts as well.
That is a great Idea. I could use the default logo's I have now with "2005 Thru-Hiker" under it or someone can submitt a 2005 avatar. I will play with it later and try and come up with something.

attroll
04-24-2004, 18:28
I played for a little bit and here is what I came up with. When used as an avatar the black backgroun will not show.

DangerPea
05-18-2004, 10:39
Although initially I thought that a public forum would be the way to go, after consideration I now think that a private forum would facilitate more openess, as has been suggested. One of the most rewarding but sometimes difficult (for us introverts) things on the trail is making friends. As has been pointed out before, this forum is a great way to start making connections & have people that we look forward to meeting.
But, then again, if it were public & there were just a note on the forum link (like for Straight Forward) that this forum is specifically for 2005'ers, that may create enough of a boundary. I guess from what have read, the main concern is that the forum is a safe environment in which 2005'ers (and possibly others planning a future thru hike) can feel safe being open with questions, concerns etc & that enables the development of a community. This could be accomplished by either type of forum. My only caveat though would be that those who are especially motivated to participate in this group shouldn't be excluded from doing so, even if they aren't planning a 2005 thru hike.

A-Train
05-18-2004, 14:08
I'll start off by saying I haven't read this whole thread so I may have missed something.

I'll say though, that I think having a private or exclusive 2005 forum is a bad idea. Wingfoot has that over on his site. Its great to have a place where future thru hikers can support one another and meet and greet and prepare. But often times (as I know since I was in the same boat) questions come up and its nice to have the advice of veterans. I was part of a yahoo group for 2003 hikers a few years ago and benefited very much from the expertise of others on the list. One guy even came out to an outfitters with me to help me purchase a down bag!

Wingfoot does not allow anyone not hiking in 05' to be part of the forum and I think that is very ineffective, since afterall, he is pretty much the only veteran hiker hiking next year, so much of the information will be one-sided instead of offering a couple differing suggestions to new folks about gear, maildrops etc.

The Old Fhart
05-18-2004, 14:56
I agree with A-Train on keeping the thread open. The majority will probably be 2005ers but there are veteran hikers like A-Train and Jack Tarlin (Baltimore Jack) who have a wealth of information and freely give non-judgemental advice. It would be a shame to lose their input.

eyahiker
05-18-2004, 17:00
I'm planning a 2005 NOBO, or a GA-VA hike, still up in the air.

I agree with OldFhart, I really appreciate and want to hear from some of the vets out there, experience is the best teacher, a couple may be rude, but just collectively don't bite the bait when one may come along:rolleyes:

Many of thier opinons are gold - can't imagine group of never Thru-hikers giving each other suggestions and opinions - now that would bring FEAR to mind:clap

woolfie and GG
07-25-2004, 17:08
looking forward to forum, don't mind either way, very good idea about 2005 icon
woolfie & GG:) :)

Totally Different Subject
07-27-2004, 12:44
Wow, quite a few posts to get through. Yes, I am also attempting a 05 NOBO through-hike and would be very interested in learning of those folks I'd likely meet on the trail.

Not sure which makes more sense, Private vs Public, as I am new to Whiteblaze.net. However, I have observed that this may be as great a place as any for the forum.

Additional thoughts....

And I hope to see some forum up and running soon!

Jason

The Eleven
08-06-2004, 14:12
I personally like all accessible info/experiences in one spot.....just like my gear in my pack....ORGANIZED. Whiteblaze is already established to meet needs and wants and more with room to spare. Boot up , Atroll. Happy Trails! Steve
(Little Bear 2) CT

eyahiker
08-06-2004, 16:59
Go Attrol - you are awesome:clap

attroll
08-06-2004, 23:10
I have added a Avatar to the list for all 2005 thru-hikers to use.

skeeterfeeder
08-08-2004, 04:07
I learn more by observing and listening than by jumping in, but I think a 2005 forum would be great. At least it would give me a heads up on some of those I will probably encounter on the trail. I think a public forum is best, as long as the veterans (and psuedo veterans) remember how they felt before they took the walk. If the vets want to help out us newbies, please post all you can, because I am not one that enjoys repeating others mistakes. But if you are only wanting to show that your knowledge is greater than mine, save yourself the trouble; I already know I don't know enough.
:confused:

attroll
08-08-2004, 10:49
There is a 2005 Thru-hikers forum. You have to let me know that you are a 2005 thru-hiker to be put in it.