PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Contrail VS Gossamer Gear Squall

austinlowes17
12-30-2008, 04:08
Okay, I've got the tent thing narrowed down to two selections- Gossamer Gear Squall and Tarptent Contrail.

I've gotten alot of great feedback on the contrail, what can be said about the squall? How do the two stack up?

take-a-knee
12-30-2008, 09:09
Okay, I've got the tent thing narrowed down to two selections- Gossamer Gear Squall and Tarptent Contrail.

I've gotten alot of great feedback on the contrail, what can be said about the squall? How do the two stack up?

Search the threads on the Contrail, many have complained about the upright poles at the rear for some reason. The Squall doesn't have these, it has a hoop. The Squall, being made of Spinnaker, will not mist like silnylon can. I'd spend the money for the Squall.

stag3
12-30-2008, 09:27
I agree with take-a-knee regarding the rear poles in the Contrail.

Stag3

yappy
12-30-2008, 09:39
I have heard great things about the Lunar solo also.

garlic08
12-30-2008, 09:50
I like my Contrail better than my old Squall. It has a newer design that I think is superior in rain protection. It has no metal parts, a plus in my book. I don't really like the hoop pole at the foot of the Squall. I agree the Contrail is harder to set up correctly and it takes a week or two to get it right, but once you got it, it's great.

bigcranky
12-30-2008, 10:30
I saw the spinnaker Squall at Traildays a couple of years ago, and I've slept in a regular Silnylon Squall. I do like the hooped pole at the foot end, which provides plenty of interior room. I've never spent any time in a Contrail, but if given the choice, I'd get the spinn-Squall. More floor space, can take two people, the fabric won't sag when it gets wet, etc.

bulldog49
12-30-2008, 10:35
I have heard great things about the Lunar solo also.

I just ordered one yesterday, got the 20% holiday discount. Can't wait to try it out. :sun

yappy
12-30-2008, 10:49
you are 1 step ahead of me.. I still have to order mine..:)

skinewmexico
12-30-2008, 11:56
I just ordered one yesterday, got the 20% holiday discount. Can't wait to try it out. :sun

Setting mine up today, it came the day after Christmas.

Chance09
01-05-2009, 22:49
Setting mine up today, it came the day after Christmas.

Ditto. Have you slept in it yet? I love it. Pretty roomy.

I was originally looking into the contrail but I read the BPL spreadsheet that analyzed just about every tent/tarptent on the market and it said that the 6MD Lunar Solo was the better choice for many reasons, altho it is more expensive.

One of the nice things about the lunar is that the trekking pole for support is in the middle so you can sit up under it. It also has a fairly large area under the rainfly outside the tent (the porch area? the name alludes me at the moment)