PDA

View Full Version : Alice the CAMEL(BAK) has ? Humps

sleeman13
12-30-2008, 10:44
I was just wondering what size camelbak other hikers were using or would recommend using for a thru-hike. Or would one recommend a platypus over a camelbak. The big question though is what size would be appropiate. I have a Katadyn Pro Hiker Microfilter for cleaner my water. Not sure whether that would factor into the decision or not.
All advice is welcome.

kanga
12-30-2008, 11:17
2 Liter. i have a platy and love it but genr'l has a camel and won't trade it for the world. either/or, i'd say. also the new hiker pro has quick connects for the bladder so you don't have to take it out of your pack to fill it back up. good stuff. just make sure your cap is screwed on securely (right cuffs?...)

Pickleodeon
12-30-2008, 11:28
I have a 2.5 L MSR dromlite. Same idea as a camelback. I also have a 16 oz. Nalgene for mixing drinks. MSR has the standard size Nalgene opening so if your filter fits that, MSR is compatible.

asm109
12-30-2008, 12:37
Platypus 2L

The empty platy weighs less than the Camelbak, does the same job.

I have platys that are 5 years old and still going strong.

bigcranky
12-30-2008, 12:47
I used the Platy hoser bags for a while, and went back to water bottles. The 1-liter Aqua Fina bottles cost a buck and a quarter and come pre-filled with water for your convenience. They aren't as fragile as bags, and only weigh about 1.5 ounces empty. I can see exactly how much water I have left for a given stretch of trail.

If you do carry the Platy bags, get some of the Platy Patches, they work quite well, sticking even with water coming out of a hole. (I have lots of experience with them, unfortunately.)

kanga
12-30-2008, 15:22
I have a 2.5 L MSR dromlite. Same idea as a camelback. I also have a 16 oz. Nalgene for mixing drinks. MSR has the standard size Nalgene opening so if your filter fits that, MSR is compatible.

good point about the nalgene for measuring, i had forgotten about that. you make enough noodles and you learn to eyeball amts, but when i first quit using nalgenes regularly, i carried a camp cup thingie that was rubber that folded in on itself and had measurements on it so i could cook. took up the space of the nalgene cap.

tuswm
12-30-2008, 18:11
I use the 3L Camelpack. I dont see the point in carring anything smaller its not like its noticable heavier and you dont have to fill it .......But I think there must be a better option out there. I broke the hook off my bladder that holds it up right in my bag. The screw in lid is a MAJOR PITA to get off. But it has never leaked and has many many miles on it both hiking and mountain biking and some nice crashes as well, it has to be many years old at this point.

kanga
12-30-2008, 18:52
that lid is the only reason i can't stand those things. trying to turn the bladder and the top, jeez! talk about a lesson in patience!

tuswm
12-30-2008, 19:07
I now use a leatherman to open mine. I only open it in to the shape of a "V" and stick the two ends in the lid and twist.