PDA

View Full Version : How many leaving prior to Feb 20th?

joshua5878
12-30-2008, 11:25
I have left my job, finishing up gear purchases, doing some hiking locally to get ready but need to get going sooner than later. I have enough money saved to do the trail comfortably with my brother but I feel the longer I sit around the money burns faster here than it will on the trail. I know there is risk in being bumped off the trail due to weather but I have friends in Maggie Valley NC that would pick us up and deliver us back so that isn't an issue. Just trying to get an idea of how many people to expect. I like the thought of being around other thru hikers.when we start. Thanks- Josh

KG4FAM
12-30-2008, 11:29
15th from the top of springer

joshua5878
12-30-2008, 11:57
15th from the top of springer

solo?

KG4FAM
12-30-2008, 12:00
solo?
yep

mudhead
12-30-2008, 12:49
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=suches,%20ga&wuSelect=WEATHER

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=34.73200989&lon=-84.06897736&zoom=10&pin=Suches%2c%20GA

The wundermap is fun. Use the Google + -, arrows to poke around the area. Aren't you tired of snowbirds yet?

Cool AT Breeze
12-30-2008, 13:51
I'll be hiking about Feb. 15th. Not getting serious untill April.

KG4FAM
12-30-2008, 14:45
I'll be hiking about Feb. 15th. Not getting serious untill April.hell yeah, the first couple of weeks I will probably end up taking a zero day wherever I find a warm stove. Officially the plan is to only stop for the night at Blueberry Patch, Sapphire Inn and Gatlinburg (if the road is open) until I get to Hot Springs. I have a feeling that the plan is going to go out the window at Woody Gap.

Cool AT Breeze
12-30-2008, 17:33
I started Feb 8th last year,cold, lonly, awesome. Saw six people in three days.

snowhoe
12-30-2008, 17:45
I think that if you are wanting to hike with alot od thru hikers you shpuld probably wait until march. If you are finding that you are spending your money to quickly find a little part time job at like starbucks, local out fitter or just volunteer to help out with something in your community. Food shelters and banks are always looking for people. The trail is not going anywhere I was so excited to.

Panzer1
12-30-2008, 20:50
Just trying to get an idea of how many people to expect. I like the thought of being around other thru hikers.when we start.

Since your starting in the dead of winter there will be few thru-hikers on the trail.

Also hikes that start in February will cost more that hikes that begin in April.

Panzer

Mercy
12-31-2008, 12:59
Josh,

Didn't you say you're pretty new to hiking?

How about taking a hike through Ocala NF... 70 miles or so. It will help you figure out your gear a little.... set up your tent a time or two... pack your gear where it rides a little better... exercise a few muscles... and not spend too much money!

And let us know when you're going, and some of the FL folks might join you.

joshua5878
12-31-2008, 18:53
Josh,

Didn't you say you're pretty new to hiking?

How about taking a hike through Ocala NF... 70 miles or so. It will help you figure out your gear a little.... set up your tent a time or two... pack your gear where it rides a little better... exercise a few muscles... and not spend too much money!

And let us know when you're going, and some of the FL folks might join you.

Yes, very new. We could do that. We plan on doing some shakedown hikes, would rather do it somewhere besides FL though. Was thinking about Mtn to Sea in NC starting on the low elevation eastern side. Just kind of sick of FL. Yesterday I took a ride to the FL Trail Visitor center (Pittman Visitor Center- on US 19 just north of 42) and the gal there was talking to me about the "abundancy" of rattlesnakes seen on the trail this year. Now bears I can handle, there big and you can see them and they can see you. But man do I hate poisonous snakes. :eek: It wouldn't stop us though. Guess it depends how the weather looks as we are coming back from PA in early Feb. If we go on the FL trail I will post. Thanks- Josh

OverLoad
12-31-2008, 19:56
I plan on starting mid feb

TEXMAN
12-31-2008, 22:32
Josh
I am starting on the 15th of Feb looks like a half dozen are starting that same weekend..see you on the trail
TEXMAN

ATX-Hiker
01-02-2009, 13:11
Flying out the feb. 25th, hitting the trail the next day. :)