PDA

View Full Version : Trekking poles

Spider
12-30-2008, 12:09
What exactly is the point? I've never understood.

bloodmountainman
12-30-2008, 12:22
At 16 years, you won't see the point. Put a few hundred or thousand miles on those knees and hip joints, and you'll see the point! Hiking poles are a tool used to help with old age..... not for everyone.

Captain
12-30-2008, 12:23
the point is to off set some of the weight on your legs by using your arm muscles to support some of the weight

KG4FAM
12-30-2008, 12:30
it more taking the thinking away from the legs and putting it on the arms. this way the legs are able to put the energy they were exerting into stability into the energy used for forward motion. I have used none, one, and two and like using just one the best. They ain't really needed in the south. Its nice to have in New England.

verber
12-30-2008, 13:27
There are three reasons:

1) Taking some pressure off joints: becomes more important as people age, or when people are carrying a huge load
2) Extra stability over difficult terrain
3) Performance changes: My understanding is that using poles is less energy efficient that strait hiking (you burn more calories for distance traveled), but at least for me it also changes something psychology... cadence of my walking seems to increase slightly and there is more of a sense of energy... especially going up hills. Could be that the arm motion is taking the load off other parts of the body, so even though it's not as efficient, it more "comfortable" because workload is spread.
4) Multi-functional device: sometimes used as part of shelter, some convert to snow probes, spear to hunt with :-)

--mark

Lone Wolf
12-30-2008, 13:31

me either :D or the point of treating water, bearbagging, staying in shelters or hostels, alcohol stoves, titanium, slackpacking, etc., etc., etc.

Lone Wolf
12-30-2008, 13:33
At 16 years, you won't see the point. Put a few hundred or thousand miles on those knees and hip joints, and you'll see the point! Hiking poles are a tool used to help with old age..... not for everyone.

you're doin' somethin' wrong then. i'm your age and hiked 1000s of miles with a "bad" knee and have no need for poles

bloodmountainman
12-30-2008, 15:20
you're doin' somethin' wrong then. i'm your age and hiked 1000s of miles with a "bad" knee and have no need for poles
Yea, you're correct!! I'm trying to hike as much as possible with 35 years of manual labor on this body. That's wrong! I've wore myself down over the years so the poles help me. No big thing, to each his own. You are obviously a strong walker and in good shape. If you don't need 'em, that's great. :D

BobTheBuilder
12-30-2008, 15:39
Mostly because my knees need them. Maybe because of my age, maybe my weight, maybe my old football days, but whatever it is, I couldn't hike very far without poles. But they have alot of other uses, too. I have banged them together to let bears know I was there right below Blue Mt. shelter. I have moved a rattlesnake off of the rocks on the climb up Albert Mountain. One of them holds up the front of my tarptent. They also save my butt alot when I need more stability because it's slippery or muddy or icy or slimey. I have section hiked from Springer to US 19 E and I didn't fall even once until the north side of Little Hump last October. Besides, what else are you gonna be doing with your arms?

BobTheBuilder
12-30-2008, 15:42
Three more uses - they are good to lean on when you are talking to another hiker, if you hold one up in front of you it can clear the cobwebs before they get in your beard, and they hold my duct tape.

88BlueGT
12-30-2008, 16:21
Everyone uses poles for different reasons and for the people who DONT use them, they have all different reasons too. Like stated above alot of guys/gals use them to take some of the weight off the knees, etc. Personally, I'm 21 years old, not exactally "in shape" but certainly not out of shape. I use poles and they make a world of difference for me. I do alot of hiking in the NJ/PA area where the terrain can be extremely rocky at times. The poles assist in helping me navigate the terrain, I use them for that more than anything. Plus as an added bonus, I do feel less strain on the legs and I certainly hike faster with poles since they help give me momentum. Some people will say I'm full of *****, but I say HYOH.

Gaiter
12-30-2008, 16:30
four legs better than two.... especially if you are clumsy

88BlueGT
12-30-2008, 16:39
oh yea, and I like poles cause they give me something to do with my hands/arms... keeps them busy and off my shoulder straps.

Gaiter
12-30-2008, 16:55
if you want to try them, check out your local outfitters see if they rent

FatMan
12-30-2008, 17:05
I used to twist my ankle often while hiking. I now use a single pole and have not twisted my ankle since. It has saved me from going down many, many times.

snowhoe
12-30-2008, 17:08
poles can also be used if you need to set up a tarp tent, knocking stuff out of peoples hands, and also fighting off other hikers dogs even though they swear he wont bite you.

Summit
12-30-2008, 18:01
It doesn't matter if you're 16 or 61, if you use them correctly, adjusting the wrist straps to bear the weight load and plant them in the proper place at the proper time (don't have to think about it after you develop the technique), you will notice the performance difference ascending and descending. If you don't appreciate them at the end of 10, 15, 20 mile days, you're not using them correctly. If you've never used them or don't want to, that's fine. Not knowing what you're missing probably won't impact your life that much! :)

Pedaling Fool
12-30-2008, 18:04
Poles are for us weenies.

Summit
12-30-2008, 18:13
Poles are for us weenies.Guess that makes me a weenie purist then! :)

Blue Jay
12-31-2008, 11:08
If you've never used them or don't want to, that's fine. Not knowing what you're missing probably won't impact your life that much! :)

I do believe you've finally got it.:welcome

Lilred
12-31-2008, 12:42
Last year, hiking through Central Va., I noticed my poles were becoming more of a hindrance, especially hiking over rocky terrain. Seemed my sense of balance was more acute without them. I found I could hike faster without them over the rocks. I ended up carrying them for most of the way. I do like them when I have a good stride going, and they have helped in stream crossings. Mainly, I like them on the downhills, they do save my knees.

Yukon
12-31-2008, 12:53

Great input...

Red Hat
12-31-2008, 13:02
Mainly, I like them on the downhills, they do save my knees.

I couldn't have made it down Katahdin without poles. Some helpful person had returned the ones I stashed on the way up to the ranger station. D-Wreck lent me his. God bless him!

Summit
01-01-2009, 11:50
I do believe you've finally got it.:welcomeI wouldn't describe it as 'finally got it,' but rather "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink!" :) I do believe in 'to each his own' and do not consider those who chose not to use poles as stupid or lacking common sense. You might consider the same approach on your side of the issue. ;)

TomWc
01-01-2009, 13:20
Who cares what's the point for other people or whether they're good for other people or not or why they use them? Buy a walmart pair and try them on a hilly overnight. See for yourself. If you like em, great, go get some lighter ones with a better grip, you'll like em even better. If you don't, then give em away and consider that you got an opportunity to learn something about yourself for less than the cost of going to the movies and a lot less than a therapist session. :-?

Tinker
01-01-2009, 13:36
On narrow stretches of trail in New England, where bushes grow into the treadway, I sometimes carry my poles for a good distance before I actually use them to climb or descend.
I didn't use my poles to climb Katahdin. I was told that they'd just get in the way during the rock scrambles. I didn't miss them until I got a calf cramp on the Tableland on the way up. I don't think they would have been much help coming down until I was well below treeline. I would've liked them then. We all have to make decisions and live with them. There are roughly about three of the five miles of the Hunt Trail where poles would be useful, maybe a little more.

johnnybgood
01-01-2009, 14:05
I have hiked many miles and years w/o trekking poles but recently purchased a pair from a hiking buddy for $15 for reasons mentioned above. I can also see If one is taking a hike where fording streams is mandatory then yeah I can see their usage being handy.

Highway Man
01-01-2009, 17:12
My opinions on the trekking poles made a sharp turn at early last year when I came back from Whites. I had a walking staff for a few years. It helped me come down from a steep trail and ford a stream or wetland when snow thaws at spring time. But it is only one, not two.

The trekking poles for winter hiking are a must. They balance yourself from tipping to one side, or can be used a body support to transfer the load from your legs, or can be used as leveling point to give you a upward push over ledges, or slow yourself down on a steep slope. They work the same way for the backpacking too. Meanwhile they also give your arms a good exercises, support a tarp, and can be used as deterrent to bears or aggressive/strayed dogs. The bad dog thing really happened me that i had to use it as a warning language.

I initially bought a pair of REI's inexpensive twist lock pole. But one doesn't function well and keeps collapsing. Last Nov, i went to REI again to get a pair of Black Diamond's Trail Back flicklock typed poles. so far so good. I lmost forgot one thing, using trekking poles can save yourself from physically injured.