PDA

View Full Version : Running shorts

Crazy_Al
12-30-2008, 19:08
I am surprised that so few AT hikers wear running shorts. Running shorts are very light weight, can be cleaned and dryed rapidly, and they are very compact. What is there not to like about running shorts ??? I usually wear hiking shorts with lots of pockets but I never carry anything in the pockets. In the future I think I will wear running shorts almost always, especially during hot weather.

Lyle
12-30-2008, 19:15
Could probably show you some photos from the 80's when hiking in running shorts (or short short cutoffs in the 70's) was popular. Those photos, especially if you imagine us all wearing them now, should explain why many of us have modified our wardrobe. :D

There are plenty of other alternatives now.

Kerosene
12-30-2008, 19:19
I've worn my running shorts for week-long sections, but I they lacked pockets. I usually wear a pair of REI nylon "swim trunks" that have a liner, two side pockets, and one rear pocket. They also are a little longer, helping to reduce the chance of inner thigh chafing and having to subject everyone to my white legs.

Mags
12-30-2008, 19:24
I wear running shorts while hiking. May explain why people are blinded who hike around me? ;)

BrianLe
12-30-2008, 21:30
A light pair of shorts with a modest internal pocket (big enough to hold a small wallet and a key) worked excellently well for me this year as sort of backup pants, and something to wear when I was washing my one pair of trail pants in town or campground or whatever. They also serve as backup/spare underwear, and when conditions are right --- indeed a person can hike in them.

My personal preference is to hike in long (of course light weight) pants most of the time, however. It's not to limit hiker tan, but to keep off sun, bugs, brush (to include poison oak/ivy), and I personally never found long (light) pants too hot to wear.

bigcranky
12-30-2008, 21:35
Mags, that's why you wear your long johns under the shorts, right?

I wear running shorts, too. They are, uh, short. Lots of bright white skin showing.

Mags
12-30-2008, 21:45
Mags, that's why you wear your long johns under the shorts, right?

I wear running shorts, too. They are, uh, short. Lots of bright white skin showing.

Heh..I do that because I am dorky. ;)

At least in my case, the legs have are bit more on the light tan side naturally.... The blind comment came more from perhaps that a large portion of my skin showing is not the most pleasing to the eye for most people. :D

bigcranky
12-30-2008, 23:03
Like this? <g> My Mediterranean heritage lets me tan nicely, but the Irish half means seriously white skin in the winter.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/6/6/0307hike0676_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15994&c=member&imageuser=266)

Sheesh, I gotta get me some longer shorts. (Those are Golite Terrain shorts, BTW, 4.5 ounces.)

mudhead
12-31-2008, 07:56
Now this thread could use some female response.

If ladies like kilts, would they not like running shorts?

tiptoe
12-31-2008, 13:53
Here's a female response, but it's not the response you're after. I'll stick to the original topic and say that for me, pockets are essential, and a short longer than a running short offers a little more leg protection on overgrown trails.

rdpolete
12-31-2008, 22:04
I use these and find them very nice. They have a zipper back pocket and do not ride up at all. Dry quickly and go far enough down the thigh to protect from chaffing and I believe they weigh in less than 4 oz. They are perfect for me.

Spider
01-01-2009, 09:40
Yep. I've been seriously considering this idea. I'm a cross country runner at my high school so I've definitely got a lot of short shorts and not afraid to show some leg! I'll be wearing them on the trail this summer.

Spider
01-01-2009, 09:41
And the only thing I've ever used my pockets for is a camera, but I'll just stick that in an easy access pocket in my pack.

mweinstone
01-01-2009, 09:47
i need more support than running shorts offer.cause im a prune and dont like to be all out their.

Peaks
01-01-2009, 17:10
Most running shorts don't have pockets. I use pockets for my bandanna and other small things. So, I usually wear synthetic sport shorts. That's what works for me.