PDA

View Full Version : Married on trail?

Captain
12-30-2008, 19:18
Is there anyone present on WB who was married on the AT or other trail? And also i hold official "missionary" ordination so i can perform weddings, if it is something some lovely young couple has been wanting:D

Jack Tarlin
12-30-2008, 19:21
Um, what the hell is official missionary ordination?

Either you're legitimately ordained, recognized, and legally able to perform a marriage in a particular State or you're not.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not juming on you here, but being an "official missionary" somewhere doesn't necessarily qualify you to perform marriages on the Trail or anywhere else.

MOWGLI
12-30-2008, 19:21
My wife & I were married on the Long Path atop Hook Mountain near Upper Nyack, NY.

KG4FAM
12-30-2008, 19:22
A couple of years ago I met a some folks that had gotten married on top of Wildcat in the Whites. They were in Andover at the time headed north on their honeymoon.

mtnkngxt
12-30-2008, 19:27
Nope plan on getting hitched in NC on the beach 2011. But it'd make a heck of a good start to a life of yes mam.

Captain
12-30-2008, 19:27
Um, what the hell is official missionary ordination?

Either you're legitimately ordained, recognized, and legally able to perform a marriage in a particular State or you're not.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not juming on you here, but being an "official missionary" somewhere doesn't necessarily qualify you to perform marriages on the Trail or anywhere else.

Agreed i just meant official by i have a charter to become my own independent church..and as such legally referred to as clergy, and also such as legally defined as clergy able to officiate weddings, being a bridal consultant also im well aware marraige laws vary sometimes county to county in any given state,it has been an idea i have kicked around for a couple years whether i should actualy do it so i just decided to go ahead and do it.

Jack Tarlin
12-30-2008, 19:34
That's cool, Captain.

As neither the Catholics nor the Unitarians seem too enthralled with the prospect, if I decide to embrace the state of matrimony again, I'll certainly keep you in mind.

Talk to you in a century or so.

Captain
12-30-2008, 19:35
That's cool, Captain.

As neither the Catholics nor the Unitarians seem too enthralled with the prospect, if I decide to embrace the state of matrimony again, I'll certainly keep you in mind.

Ha deal there jack

snowhoe
12-30-2008, 19:42
I met a couple that were married on springer and divorced by maine

Captain
12-30-2008, 19:43

You kidding?

Toolshed
12-30-2008, 19:45
I got engaged on the summit of Big Slide when I finished my ADK46 years ago. I thought it was the perfect position to be in - 6 of one/halfdozen of the other -
Either it's all downhill from here, or from here there's nowhere to go but down. :)

snowhoe
12-30-2008, 19:57
captain, I am not kidding whats funny is that they drove to maine and it only took 3 days. Talk about a honeymoon period... No I am just kidding!!!

Hikerwannabe
12-30-2008, 20:00
Nice thought but I don't see that happening...............

Captain
12-30-2008, 20:12
stranger things have happened and will continue to happen, will say more people than i thought , i thought it was only going to be one or two people max

nufsaid
12-30-2008, 20:26
So, does your certificate only allow the missionary position for legal relations?

nufsaid
12-30-2008, 20:40
In case anyone is wondering, this type of "ordination" is available for a small fee over the internet. Just a few clicks and you are as official as this guy. For example:

http://www.wcm.org/?gclid=COv0jaXN6ZcCFQa-sgod2U7RCg

Captain
12-30-2008, 20:40
So, does your certificate only allow the missionary position for legal relations?

Define legal relations? but if your asking if i can only officiate weddings with it then no im actually free to found and run my own church, hold fundraisers,minister in other churches(with their permission of course) and what have you, oh yeah and im tax exempt thats a nice legal relation, but im just using it for the weddings, i feel not been called to preach or found a church, nor do i think i will ever be. But doing the weddings just feels right like its something im supposed to be doing, indeed. was just wondering if anyone was thinking of doing it (getting married on trail) cuase im due up for a section this summer

Captain
12-30-2008, 20:42
In case anyone is wondering, this type of "ordination" is available for a small fee over the internet. Just a few clicks and you are as official as this guy. For example:

http://www.wcm.org/?gclid=COv0jaXN6ZcCFQa-sgod2U7RCg

exactly right though that is not the one i used

Captain
12-30-2008, 20:46
and i just realized how this could become a religion debate-belittling thread, not my intention at all could have just made it a poll now that i think about it

Tennessee Viking
12-30-2008, 20:51
Is there anyone present on WB who was married on the AT or other trail? And also i hold official "missionary" ordination so i can perform weddings, if it is something some lovely young couple has been wanting:D I met a few couples that got married at Trail Days.

One couple was married along the trail somewhere by a hiking minister. Then was married again at Trail Days for the paperwork.

Captain
12-30-2008, 20:56
I met a few couples that got married at Trail Days.

One couple was married along the trail somewhere by a hiking minister. Then was married again at Trail Days for the paperwork.

ah yes paperwork dont you just love paper work

Red Hat
12-30-2008, 20:57
Define legal relations? but if your asking if i can only officiate weddings with it then no im actually free to found and run my own church, hold fundraisers,minister in other churches(with their permission of course) and what have you, oh yeah and im tax exempt thats a nice legal relation, but im just using it for the weddings, i feel not been called to preach or found a church, nor do i think i will ever be. But doing the weddings just feels right like its something im supposed to be doing, indeed. was just wondering if anyone was thinking of doing it (getting married on trail) cuase im due up for a section this summer

You are taking yourself too seriously and I, for one, am surprised. "missionary position"get it?..."legal relations" refers to something married folks do, not what an unmarried young man of your age might think do...

Lone Wolf
12-30-2008, 21:00
gypsy and i consummated our relationship/commitment to each other in waynesboro in 2000. don't need nobody to officiate nothin

Captain
12-30-2008, 21:02
You are taking yourself too seriously and I, for one, am surprised. "missionary position"get it?..."legal relations" refers to something married folks do, not what an unmarried young man of your age might think do...

i do have my incredibly dense moments

weary
12-30-2008, 21:10
Margery and Earle of the Cabin in Maine were married more than a decade ago in March at an AT leanto in New Hampshire. We all snowshoed or skied in for the ceremony -- including the minister. We had a giant bonfire, surrounded by snow benches fashioned by Earle the day before the ceremony.

Weary

Captain
12-30-2008, 21:21
Margery and Earle of the Cabin in Maine were married more than a decade ago in March at an AT leanto in New Hampshire. We all snowshoed or skied in for the ceremony -- including the minister. We had a giant bonfire, surrounded by snow benches fashioned by Earle the day before the ceremony.

Weary

now that sounds awesome

Lone Wolf
12-30-2008, 21:32
now that sounds awesome

only if it was a first marriage for both. 60% of marriages end in divorce

Feral Bill
12-30-2008, 21:40
That's cool, Captain.

What on Earth could you do that the Unitarians wouldn't marry you? :eek:
Had to ask.

Toolshed
12-30-2008, 21:47
gypsy and i consummated our relationship/commitment to each other in waynesboro in 2000. don't need nobody to officiate nothin
Anything like the Paris Hilton video??? :D

Lone Wolf
12-30-2008, 21:58
Anything like the Paris Hilton video??? :D

paris who? and what's in the vid? you must be a fan

Mags
12-30-2008, 22:02
What on Earth could you do that the Unitarians wouldn't marry you? :eek:
Had to ask.

Darn Unitarians burnt a "?" on my front lawn....

weary
12-30-2008, 23:23
only if it was a first marriage for both. 60% of marriages end in divorce
Earle's first wife had died. Marge was divorced for good reasons. Both were in their 60s. They will live out their lives together, I'm quite sure.

BTW, the number of marriages that end in divorce is sad. But it is considerably less than 60 percent. Some of the marriages that don't end in divorce are also sad.

Marriage is both a legal and religious practice. I won't argue the religious. But the legal aspects of marriage have important financial benefits, for both those who marry, and any off spring.

Weary

sarbar
01-02-2009, 08:55
One of my hiking partners married my husband and I - in his past he had been a minister and had gone to Seminary school, worked for churches, etc.

So while our marriage was a secular one, according to the state it was a religious wedding ;-)

I'd say this: Due to his age and background I respected him and he did a wonderful (and short) wedding for us. He understood how important the vows are in a wedding.

For me, my marriage is something I don't take lightly - that man is hitched to me for life I hope. For us, we were together for a number of years before we got married and got to know each other. As my friend said in his way - if we were not meant to be together he would not have married us :)

Jim Obermeyer
01-02-2009, 09:08
How much does the officiating cost for a marriage?

4eyedbuzzard
01-02-2009, 09:10
captain, I am not kidding whats funny is that they drove to maine and it only took 3 days. Talk about a honeymoon period... No I am just kidding!!!

Proving once and for all that nothing good can ever come of yellow blazing.:eek:

...60% of marriages end in divorce

Which mean that 40% of couples stick with each other--much better than the odds on sticking with a thru-hike.;)

Worldwide
01-02-2009, 10:55
Married? I don't know about the rest of the gang on WB, but I like steak not just every night. Marraige seems too constrictive unless said woman can do a marathon a day with a pack on her back a hundred days per year the next few years.

Lone Wolf
01-02-2009, 10:57
you must be related to smitty

Worldwide
01-02-2009, 11:03
Sadly, I dont know MS, and haven't looked up his posts that cause such a ruckus among WB'ers. So I can't really take offense at that LW. However, if what I hear is even half true I should be irate right now. Even though we both know I am at heart a super huge pita and a jerk so it is an aptly applied comment I am sure.

weary
01-02-2009, 11:51
Sadly, I dont know MS, and haven't looked up his posts that cause such a ruckus among WB'ers. So I can't really take offense at that LW. However, if what I hear is even half true I should be irate right now. Even though we both know I am at heart a super huge pita and a jerk so it is an aptly applied comment I am sure.
Smitty is okay. Just a bit eccentric. Like most hikers.

MS carried around 70 pounds in his pack, but some of the items were esential -- like his four rolls of toilet paper. Well, that's not really eccentric. He wanted to be sure he didn't run out. He tells us he may go a bit lighter the next time he thru hikes. He's saving his money as we write.

Weary

weary
01-02-2009, 12:02
....Which mean that 40% of couples stick with each other--much better than the odds on sticking with a thru-hike.;)
Actually, the divorce rate is only around 40 percent. 60 percent of couples stick it out for a lifetime.

Interestingly marriages between couples with college degrees are far less likely to end in divorce, than are marriages between those with only a high school education.

Sorry, I can't easily cite the source for this information. But it was from a couple of Google analyses of census bureau figures by people who seemed to be skilled in statistical analysis.

Weary

Tipi Walter
01-02-2009, 12:32
Married? I don't know about the rest of the gang on WB, but I like steak not just every night. Marraige seems too constrictive unless said woman can do a marathon a day with a pack on her back a hundred days per year the next few years.

Tend to agree. Marriage is the death knoll to a life of backpacking. Add children to the mix and your grand plan to live outdoors for the next 20 years is finished. Albert Camus said it well: (paraphrase)"There are two forms of suicide: marriage or a pistol."

I would hope that a couple hitching up on the trail might stay together on the trail or at least forsake the current fascination with everything plastic and deep-six syphilization together to raise a family off the grid in a hogan somewhere under some trees where the only way in is on foot. But agendas kick in with the usual Five Year Plans and the couple is bogged down with a thousand indoor concerns. The life of the single bum sleeping under a bush is over.

Having said this, it is possible to find a spouse willing to endure long periods of separation while the other sports under a backpack into wild lands for extended amounts of time. And upon return, there still may be some sort of union and the other may still be around. If it's a question between getting your bag nights or staying married, well, the choice is obvious: dump the relationship and head out the door. Life is too short to stay indoors and miss out on living in the woods, we only get the opportunity for 60 or 70 years. I guess after about the age of 75 it would be okay to get married and to settle down and go into debt and raise a family. By then you'll have a lifetime of backpacking memories to kill the time in stir.

weary
01-02-2009, 12:43
Tend to agree. Marriage is the death knoll to a life of backpacking. Add children to the mix and your grand plan to live outdoors for the next 20 years is finished. Albert Camus said it well: (paraphrase)"There are two forms of suicide: marriage or a pistol."

I would hope that a couple hitching up on the trail might stay together on the trail or at least forsake the current fascination with everything plastic and deep-six syphilization together to raise a family off the grid in a hogan somewhere under some trees where the only way in is on foot. But agendas kick in with the usual Five Year Plans and the couple is bogged down with a thousand indoor concerns. The life of the single bum sleeping under a bush is over.

Having said this, it is possible to find a spouse willing to endure long periods of separation while the other sports under a backpack into wild lands for extended amounts of time. And upon return, there still may be some sort of union and the other may still be around. If it's a question between getting your bag nights or staying married, well, the choice is obvious: dump the relationship and head out the door. Life is too short to stay indoors and miss out on living in the woods, we only get the opportunity for 60 or 70 years. I guess after about the age of 75 it would be okay to get married and to settle down and go into debt and raise a family. By then you'll have a lifetime of backpacking memories to kill the time in stir.
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world." -- E. B. White

I've managed to do a bit of both, along with producing three responsible kids to carry on the struggle after I'm gone.

Weary

Many Walks
01-02-2009, 13:02
Look up "Circuit Rider", he's the hiking minister who has performed weddings on the trail.

sarbar
01-04-2009, 09:42

Ah, but for everyone of those couples that get married and quit hiking you will have a hiking couple who never quit - even with kids.

I'd say my husband, kid and I are living proof of that :rolleyes: And we even have a "pesky" mortgage and jobs.

Bare Bear
01-05-2009, 20:12
In Florida you merely have to be a Notary Public to perform the ceremony. I have done several for friends and several at sea as the Captain of the Vessell. I also did a few of the "good for the duration of this voyage" kind :)
Never on a hike though.........anyone wanting?

No Belay
01-05-2009, 23:49
Bare,
Does that mean you can do divorces also? I have a boat.

Joey
01-05-2009, 23:54
Hell, just find a woman you hate and buy her a house, cause if you marry her and leave--GUESS WHO GETS THE HOUSE??

Blissful
01-06-2009, 00:32

There are plenty that have done quite well backpacking and being married, thank you. And yes, had kids too so they could enjoy it as a family experience.

I was not a backpacker before I was married. My hubby did a little, but we became backpackers AFTER we were married AND after (oh gulp!!!) we had a kid. We took our son on his first backpacking trip at the ripe young age of six months. And he finished the AT 16 years later. So much for assumptions. :D