PDA

View Full Version : Planning a SNP hike

CentralVaAt
12-30-2008, 20:46
Hi all, this is my first post, but I've been watching and reading other posts for a while. I'm an avid day hiker, living only a few minutes from the trail, and my gradparents property actually borders that National Forest Property in the Ty River/Harper's Creek Shelter section of the trail in VA. I've logged many day miles, but have only been on a few weekend hikes.
I'm planning to hike SNP sometime in late June of '09. I've been planning on doing this for a while and already have a few supplies. The trip was supposed to take place in '08, but a baby postponed things a little! I'm wondering if anyone has any general advice. I don't want to bring too many things, but I want to pack the things I'll need. Are there any specific items that I definately should have or should not have? I'm also curious about how many changes/what types of clothes I need for the trip. Also, does anyone recommend any specific shelters or campsites in the park? Any advice is welcome.:)

Spider
01-01-2009, 09:46
I'm in a similar position as you. I've done a couple weekend trips and this summer I'll be hiking the whole Shenandoah section.

As for clothes, I wear running shorts and a t-shirt to keep the weight down, and pack a waterproof windbreaker for rain. A couple pairs of socks, and running shoes.

I use a hammock so most campsites are available to me... from what I've seen already of SNP it's never too hard to find a campsite, and the cabins are every 10-15 miles.

Resupply points are at Loft Mtn Campstore, Lewis Mtn Campstore (limited), Big Meadows Wayside/Campstore, Elkwallow Wayside (limited). Also, there are lots of restaurants along the way. I hear it can be pretty pricy so bring extra $$.

Any specific questions?

mweinstone
01-01-2009, 09:50
whiteblaze.net is the computer that knows everything,baltimore jack tarlin is the man.

Press
01-01-2009, 10:05
Expect to see a few bears, and a lot of Boy Scouts.

Lyle
01-01-2009, 10:12
Check out some gear lists and the comments they generate. This will give you a good idea of what to bring, and what some of the options are. Here is one current link, but there are many others as well:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44679

About your specific clothing list. For a summer hike, most hikers bring one set of clothes for hiking in 90% of the time. Many might add a cheap set of polypropylene long underwear to sleep in and for some added warmth if the weather turns bad.
Add to this one insulating top layer such as fleece or a light synthetic filled jacket such as a Thermawrap.

You will also need some type of rain/wind gear. I like Frogg Toggs - cheap and very effective.
One extra pair of socks should do you, some folks like two extra, or a pair strictly for sleeping. This is more important in winter, or colder temps.
Many of us do not wear underwear while hiking, but others will wear compression type briefs, this is totally a preference thing that comes with experience.
Bring a light, knit hat. Even in summer the evenings can get cool. Especially if you wear glasses, bring a ball cap too or something similar (with a brim) to keep rain off the glasses.

One or two cheap cotton (the only cotton that should be in your pack) bandannas are amazingly useful - pot holder, washcloth, towel, snot rag, brow wipe, bug deterrent, hat, cooling cloth when wet and tied around neck, etc. Just let your imagination go.

Optional may be one extra shirt, kept relatively clean for when you are interacting with the public - your hiking shirt will get pretty funky. In SNP that will be appreciated if you want to partake of any restaurant meals. Will also be appreciated in camp if your hiking shirt is wet. Always put your funky, wet clothes back on the next day for hiking - do not get all your clothing wet.

Ask away at any other questions you may have. SNP is a great place to do a first hike. Relatively gentle trail, plenty of bail-out options, many comforts along the way, and some real nice hiking.

Have fun!

Spider
01-01-2009, 10:18
One extra pair of socks should do you, some folks like two extra, or a pair strictly for sleeping. This is more important in winter, or colder temps.
Many of us do not wear underwear while hiking, but others will wear compression type briefs, this is totally a preference thing that comes with experience.

I always like to bring extra socks. Nothing greater a feeling than changing out your soaking wet pair for a fresh dry pair midday, but it is personal preference.

For compression briefs... I'll tell you this from experience: chafing = BAD!!!

Lyle
01-01-2009, 10:32

I just realized that the OP is of the gentler sex, so this probably isn't much of an issue for her, but still an option.

Spider
01-01-2009, 10:36
AH, very true.

johnnybgood
01-01-2009, 13:23
:welcome As for hiking with extra clothes I would keep it to a min. since there are laundry facilities at Loft Mtn (milepost 79) and also Big Meadows (milepost 51). Do bring money for this purpose and also buying food at the campstores. While at Big Meadows I would absolutely eat a good hot meal at the Lodge as a reward for making it to the halfway point on your journey. A pair of hiking shorts made of light quick drying material like Nylon should be used along with light polyester shirt. Don't forget about raingear bc at higher elev. storms pop up with little warning. Bring shelter of some kind, tent or tarp unless you don't mind bunking up in a AT hut prolly with some late thru hikers. Huts are a days hike apart for thru hikers doing GA-MA journey. Hope your hike will bring you peace and every once of joy that can be attained.

sly dog
01-02-2009, 11:14
Mabye I'll see ya out there. I am doing the SNP and the 50 miles after it this summer. I am takin 2 weeks off to do it. Last week of May and first week of June.

Skyline
01-02-2009, 11:24
By late June, many but not all of the NOBO thru-hikers will already be done with SNP, so it won't be quite as crowded at shelters or the nearby designated tentsites. You'll still get to meet some NOBOs and section hikers, tho, and summer will have kicked in so the tourists and their kids may be in evidence in greater numbers. Most of the latter stick to Skyline Drive overlooks, commercial campgrounds, lodges, etc.

IMHO the best way to "do" SNP is to combine some side trails with the AT. Use the AT as a kind of spine from which you venture off to the east or west to take in waterfalls, historic sites, etc. You can camp in the backcountry almost anywhere--so if you'd like to spend a night or two near the sound of a babbling brook, this would be the way to do it.

If you need help with logistics or transportation, check out www.mvshuttle.com (http://www.mvshuttle.com).

Spider
01-02-2009, 12:15
Mabye I'll see ya out there. I am doing the SNP and the 50 miles after it this summer. I am takin 2 weeks off to do it. Last week of May and first week of June.

Ah man, I don't get off school until late June so it's going to be early July at the earliest. =[

And Skyline, sounds great but that'd be tough on my dad.

CentralVaAt
01-02-2009, 21:45
Thanks for everyone's replies! I've day hiked many trails on and off the AT in SNP, but I can't wait to get out an do the whole thing. I may even add a couple of extra days and go from front royal to rt. 56/ty river while I'm at it...I'll have to see how things go. My grandfather lives about 1 mile from the road there. I thought up another question though...I know it will depend on how the rain's been at the time, but how reliable/far apart are the water sources in SNP?

Blissful
01-02-2009, 22:44
SNP will be hopping in June with visitors and bears. Be sure to have a tent and don't rely on shelters. You need a backcountry camping permit which you can get and backcountry registration stations on the trail.

Best bet is to check threads here for those who have posted gear lists for ideas on what to bring. But a summer hiker requires a lot less gear clothing-wise (polypro t- shirt, convertible pants, a fleece jacket or long sleeve shirt for camp at night, several pairs of socks to avoid blisters, rain jacket like frogg togg) and a 40 degree bag will suffice.

Skyline
01-03-2009, 12:13
Thanks for everyone's replies! I've day hiked many trails on and off the AT in SNP, but I can't wait to get out an do the whole thing. I may even add a couple of extra days and go from front royal to rt. 56/ty river while I'm at it...I'll have to see how things go. My grandfather lives about 1 mile from the road there. I thought up another question though...I know it will depend on how the rain's been at the time, but how reliable/far apart are the water sources in SNP?

Here's a link to a list of SNP water sources:

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/water_sources_at.htm

The springs/streams are dependent to an extent on precipitation during a given year or season, of course. The other sources should be self-explanatory.

The following springs are prone to dry up before the rest: Tom Floyd Wayside (Ginger Spring), Hogwallow Flats spring, and the spring at South River Maintenance Hut.

The frost-free pump at Elkwallow Picnic Area, last time I saw it, was spurting nasty brown water not fit for consumption IMHO. Better source would be the spring along the AT about 0.2 mi. south of the picnic area.

The list is dated Oct. 2006. Since then, the Panorama facilities have been razed and the whole area is currently a fenced-off construction zone (for future parking, restrooms, backcountry permit station). The Dundo Group Campground in the South District has been closed and converted to a picnic area (not sure if that changes water availability).

Spider
01-03-2009, 17:22
Ah man Skyline, this'll help me too. Thanks.

jonestownpenn
01-10-2009, 23:36
hi - I was wondering if I could start this thread up again- I am also planning a short hike in SNP this summer (late July). I want to start around Route 211 (or further north) and end up near swift run. I am going to then meet my family for a vacation at nearby Massunuten resort. Since my wife can pick me up - I am looking for a place to park - any suggestions? Once I enter the park at 211, can I leave the car for a few days - is it safe. I'm looking forward to the hike - thanks!

Ashman
01-11-2009, 19:56
Another request for a good parking spot. I am looking to thru hike the park this summer starting in Ashby Gap and hiking through to Waynesborough. Where is a good spot to leave the car at the southern end?

Skyline
01-12-2009, 00:39
hi - I was wondering if I could start this thread up again- I am also planning a short hike in SNP this summer (late July). I want to start around Route 211 (or further north) and end up near swift run. I am going to then meet my family for a vacation at nearby Massunuten resort. Since my wife can pick me up - I am looking for a place to park - any suggestions? Once I enter the park at 211, can I leave the car for a few days - is it safe. I'm looking forward to the hike - thanks!

At present, all parking at Thornton Gap is closed due to the razing of all buildings including the old restaurant/gift shop, and the permanent closing of the entrance directly off US211. A new restroom/backcountry permit office is being constructed. The Park will not approve parking near the Thornton Gap Entrance Station.

Mountain & Valley Shuttle Service has been having clients park at either Pinnacles Picnic Area, about five miles south of Thornton Gap; or Beahms Gap, about three miles north of TG. The AT is routed so it goes near both. A third alternative requires a mile-plus blue-blaze from the AT to the Meadows Spring trailhead, but that's a small trailhead and often full.

Another alternative would be to park (free) at MVS' property near Luray and get a shuttle (nominal cost) from there up to Thornton Gap. Details at www.mvshuttle.com (http://www.mvshuttle.com).

Eventually (sometime in '09?) the reduced parking at Thornton Gap should reopen.

Skyline
01-12-2009, 00:42
Another request for a good parking spot. I am looking to thru hike the park this summer starting in Ashby Gap and hiking through to Waynesborough. Where is a good spot to leave the car at the southern end?

Three options:

1) An AT trailhead just north of the US250 overpass and the Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway divide--technically along Skyline Drive.

2) At the Inn at Afton in Rockfish Gap. See the registration desk to sign a release form and get directions to where to park.

3) About a mile west of US250 at the Colony Inn. Hikers who have stayed here in the past have been permitted to leave a vehicle there while they hike.

Cookerhiker
01-12-2009, 08:29
At present, all parking at Thornton Gap is closed due to the razing of all buildings including the old restaurant/gift shop, and the permanent closing of the entrance directly off US211. A new restroom/backcountry permit office is being constructed. The Park will not approve parking near the Thornton Gap Entrance Station.

Mountain & Valley Shuttle Service has been having clients park at either Pinnacles Picnic Area, about five miles south of Thornton Gap; or Beahms Gap, about three miles north of TG. The AT is routed so it goes near both. A third alternative requires a mile-plus blue-blaze from the AT to the Meadows Spring trailhead, but that's a small trailhead and often full.

Another alternative would be to park (free) at MVS' property near Luray and get a shuttle (nominal cost) from there up to Thornton Gap. Details at www.mvshuttle.com (http://www.mvshuttle.com).

Eventually (sometime in '09?) the reduced parking at Thornton Gap should reopen.

Thanks for the info. On another thread, I mused about whether any parking at Panorama was possible and now I know the answer. I also recommended Pinnacles.

Newb
01-12-2009, 13:08

under-armour compression briefs changed my life. No more inflamed chafing "Taint rot". nuff said.

jonestownpenn
01-13-2009, 22:15
thanks everyone for the info. What about water filters @ SNP. Can you get by w/o carrying one?

johnnybgood
01-13-2009, 22:48
Yes , plenty of water sources at springs , campgrounds and waysides.

jonestownpenn
01-14-2009, 10:23
I think my planning is coming together - thanks. One more question - what is the "backcountry" camping like from Thorton Gap to Swift Run. Is it hard to find a tent site off of the AT, if you don't want to stay near a shelter (or if I don't make it to one)?

Skyline
01-14-2009, 15:32
I think my planning is coming together - thanks. One more question - what is the "backcountry" camping like from Thorton Gap to Swift Run. Is it hard to find a tent site off of the AT, if you don't want to stay near a shelter (or if I don't make it to one)?

The only places you can't legally camp in SNP are spelled out here, along with other important info: http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc_regs.htm

As the AT is mostly a ridge trail, with limited natural water sources and kinda rocky in most places, campsites are sometimes hard to locate in between shelters. They do exist, however—you just have to make the effort to be observant and creative. You may also have to settle for something not close to a water source (fill up at your last opportunity before seeking a campsite for the night).

This is another reason to use a good trail map (the best ones in SNP are published by PATC and sold throughout the Park, and on PATC's website). By studying contour lines, you can sometimes pinpoint a general area where the terrain might be more conducive to finding a decent site. Look for one that has been previously used first, but if there just aren't any and it's getting late you may have to move some brush and rocks around to create a site. LNT etiquette (and the Park regs linked above) says you do this away from the Trail itself, and restore the site to an unused look in the morning before hiking on.

Trail-experienced shuttle providers can also fill you in on "stealth" sites along the way during your shuttle. This is the kind of info that the Park frowns upon being widely desseminated for fear of certain sites becoming overused, but can be provided better on a one-to-one basis. One shuttler that can do this for SNP and beyond is online at: www.mvshuttle.com (http://www.mvshuttle.com). :sun

Blissful
01-15-2009, 12:15
thanks everyone for the info. What about water filters @ SNP. Can you get by w/o carrying one?

There are water sources as described, but I always carry some Aqua Mira just in case.

Blissful
01-15-2009, 12:24

This is not a bad section to hike - the trail from Big Meadows south is nearly flat for some miles too. The toughest part is the climb up to Marys Rock from Thorton Gap. You should make the shelters in this section. Or you can make a short night the first day, leave in the afternoon and stay at the brand new shelter site at Byrds Nest on the other side of Marys Rock, then go to Rock Spring and Bearfence. The tent sites at these are nice, btw. There is also a tent site before the turn off to rock spring on the left if you don't want to stay at the shelter area. Bearfence has plenty of sites far off in the woods not near the shelter.

jonestownpenn
01-15-2009, 17:02
Thanks again everyone - the Bryds Nest Shelter on the southside of Mary’s Rock sounds good. I think I’ll park in Luray and shuttle to Thornton gap. I’ll start in the afternoon and hike to Bryds Nest. Day 2 will be to Rock Springs; Day 3 to Bearfence and Day 4 to Swift Run. I’ll probably purchase a water filter and a 40 degrees bag (for July). Luckily for me, Cabela’s is 30 minutes away from my home here in central PA!

Lemni Skate
01-16-2009, 05:41
I started backpacking last February and did a lot of day hikes in the park to get in shape. I did a couple overnight shakedown hikes on the trail in Northern Virginia and then did ten days on the AT including the park. In all, last summer I did Harper's Ferry to Dripping Rock south of Waynesboro.

I did the park in late May. I still hike up in the park a lot and if you're there in July then water will probably start to be harder to find, but you're really not in bad jeopardy in the park if you're careful. Even slow hikers will hit a restaurant/camp store once every two days or so and other than Tom Floyd wayside (which, if you head south bound will only be about 3 miles into the hike)the springs are pretty reliable at the shelters. The Southern part of the park is the driest so take a little more water with you there than in the rest of the park. I also strongly recommend the PATC maps.

You're never real far from the Skyline Drive in an emergency. The thing is, July in the park can be very hot and humid even at the highest altitudes. It's also possible, however for it to get quite chili (I about froze in late May). I really would suggest carrying an extra shirt just so that you can change into a dry one when you get to camp if you've been sweating or rained on and extra socks for the same reason, but other than that you don't need a lot of clothes. I think the park is a lot of fun, you'll have a good time. I guarantee you'll see bears (I saw five on my hike) and the deer will practically let you pet them.

Nicksaari
01-16-2009, 18:37
i wan to pack all of SNP someday, maybe ill see you out there. it would be nice to incorporate a night or two at one of the PATC cabins. theyre really nice, and would be a nice break from bear infested campsites.
my brother and i awoke one morning at Pocosin Cabin to Bailey (the wonder dog) growling at the front porch. we found a family of bears up in the tree just hanging out.
after we took some good photos, i attempted to make a breakfast of Huevos Rancheros, and the bears came down, hung around the cabin and became, well, quite annoying.

have any of you told a bear to get the F out of my sight? along with a barrage of other obscenities spat at the most annoying of the four, it was as if he knew that i was no longer interested, and did not want him around. he gave me this weird look, as if to curse me, and split.

this went on my list of things i thought i would never do. curse a bear.

Blissful
01-16-2009, 20:18
This is pretty funny, Nicksaari.

Yep, bears will be out in full force in the summer. Be sure to hang your food well or at the infamous bear poles.

BlueLabel
09-06-2010, 14:07
I'm planning for 3 or 4 days in SNP later this month. Any up-to-date word on whether the Thornton Gap Panorama (AT @ Rt 211) is open for parking? Thinking of hiking from there north to Rt 522 / Front Royal. Any recommendations for such a sike are appreciated!

Country Roads
09-06-2010, 20:42
Not sure about park rules on parking, but it does have a nice parking area, vending machines, bathrooms. Our group took a nice break here last Sept to let our knees rest after coming down from Mary's rock. Finally saw our first bears within a mile after leaving Thornton Gap heading north; after that we averaged 1 bear every 2 miles for a grand total of 13 bears.

Skyline
09-06-2010, 23:22
I'm planning for 3 or 4 days in SNP later this month. Any up-to-date word on whether the Thornton Gap Panorama (AT @ Rt 211) is open for parking? Thinking of hiking from there north to Rt 522 / Front Royal. Any recommendations for such a sike are appreciated!

The lot at Panorama/Thornton Gap is open. A new restroom + more was constructed last year. The restaurant/gift shop are long gone.

BlueLabel
09-07-2010, 09:18
The lot at Panorama/Thornton Gap is open. A new restroom + more was constructed last year. The restaurant/gift shop are long gone.

Thanks for the replies. Current plans are to do Thornton Gap Panorama north to Front Royal/522 from Friday the 17th to Monday the 20th. I'll be one of five. Now to figure out where in the heck to get that backcountry permit...

Wild Type
09-07-2010, 09:38
Just came off a 50 miler in NoVA including the North District of SNP. All-in-all a good time but no really nice views until South Marshall Mtn. Ginger spring at Tom Floyd wayside was dry, and several of the springs were barely running so carry extra water. Ran into two SOBO thru-hikers, lots of bear crap (but no sightings). The weather on Saturday (Sept 4) was spectacular. Have fun!

Check-out The Horizontal Tread (http://www.horizontaltread.blogspot.com/).

Skyline
09-07-2010, 10:00
Thanks for the replies. Current plans are to do Thornton Gap Panorama north to Front Royal/522 from Friday the 17th to Monday the 20th. I'll be one of five. Now to figure out where in the heck to get that backcountry permit...

At the Skyline Drive entrance station at Thornton Gap, there is a self-registration kiosk.

BlueLabel
09-08-2010, 09:42
Can anyone recommend a hiker-friendly shuttle service in the northern SNP area other than Mountain and Valley? I inquired with MV, but they're completely booked for my return to car trip Monday the 20th.

Thanks to all for the help so far!

johnnybgood
09-08-2010, 18:04
Did you look at other shuttle options ? www.appalachiantrail.org/transportation (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/transportation)

jlb2012
09-08-2010, 20:25
Can anyone recommend a hiker-friendly shuttle service in the northern SNP area other than Mountain and Valley? I inquired with MV, but they're completely booked for my return to car trip Monday the 20th.

Thanks to all for the help so far!

and the moral of this story is that its much better to hike to your car