PDA

View Full Version : Atkins to Damascus Section

Hooch
12-30-2008, 22:22
Ok, y'all, I'm starting to plan a spring hike. I'm thinking about the Atkins to Damascus section. Anyone have any pearls of wisdom, advice, ideas, shuttle info, water source info, etc? Any info anyone could pass on would be greatly appreciated. Many thanx in advance! :D

Lone Wolf
12-30-2008, 22:23
when? i'll shuttle you. just walk

Hooch
12-30-2008, 22:25
when? i'll shuttle you. just walkThanks, LW, I'll take you up on that one and deposit some beer in your fridge, too. Not sure of dates yet, but some time in the spring before the major thru traffic starts. I'll definitely keep ya posted. :sun

hnryclay
12-30-2008, 22:43
Great section, depends on when you are going as to water. I plan on doing that section again, although maybe not all the way to Damascus this spring. I live less then an hour from Atkins and grew up close to the trail there. I have walked that part since I was a child, and enjoy going back there, and to the Crawfish section.

Hooch
12-31-2008, 06:19
Thanks, hnryclay. I'm guessing that the water can't be too bad in early-mid spring. I'm looking forward to taking a week or so off in the spring to give this section a go. :D

Kerosene
12-31-2008, 11:19
I hiked this section in early June 2007. I ended up walking a lot faster than I had planned as I had perfect weather, long days, and an easy trail. Lone Wolf picked me up at a Damascus hostel early in the morning and shuttled me up to Atkins. Here is a link to my trip report (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25988) for that hike that should help.

Plodderman
12-31-2008, 11:19
Just did this section in June. We started at Atkins on Monday and came out Friday around 12 noon. Loved the Grayson Highlands and had no water problems at all.

Stayed at Rogers Hostel and they transported us.

Red Hat
12-31-2008, 11:41
I did that section as day hikes with my husband meeting me at the end of the day back in June, 03. Nice section, pretty easy, plenty of water. Only problem was the day I did Mt Rogers and took my time playing with the ponies. I was a couple of hours later than I told him I would be, it was after dark, and he was pod.

Doctari
12-31-2008, 15:58
See PM!

Nice section!

Jack Tarlin
12-31-2008, 16:06
Great section and you're wise to be doing it South to North.

Be aware that there'll be lots of folks out there in the Spring, especially in late April or early May, so don't count on staying in shelters.

One piece of advice is as you approach Grayson Highlands Park and the area around Mt. Rogers, I'd pack an extra day's worth of food, as this is a place you'll won't want to hurry thru, and may well want to slow down, and maybe even take a full day off. "Zero" days on the Trail can be better than days off in town, but very few folks ever do this, partly because they haven't brought along enough provisions.

Hooch
01-03-2009, 23:40
Great intel from all, especially Baltimore Jack and Doctari. Big fat thanks to both you guys!

Blissful
01-04-2009, 00:03
Settler's museum is interesting and the people there very friendly and love hikers.

And of course the Grayson Highlands section is great. Nice section to hike. Can get cold there in that region though in spring.

Plodderman
01-07-2009, 12:09
Grayson Highlands and the wild ponies.

Slo-go'en
01-07-2009, 14:15
You could do a loop too. Head back towards Atkins (or Marion) via the old Iron Mt trail, which you pick up in Damacus and rejoins the AT a little south of Hurricane Mt shelter. Iron Mt trail by-passes the highlands and cuts about 30 miles off the trip. Would add about 3 days to the trip. There are a couple of really old shelters on that part of the Iron Mt trail.