PDA

View Full Version : Packs with hydration system

johnnybgood
12-30-2008, 22:40
Want to know which pack has the best/easy to use hydration system for around $200 & under. By that I mean one that is easy to sip from and requires little trouble to clean. Have a day pack that was neither and didn't have a watr bottle holder . Thx :)

Alligator
12-30-2008, 23:34
Are you talking about cleaning the pocket that might be in place for the hydration bladder:confused:?

The place I put my hydration bladder generally doesn't get any dirtier than the pack. Some leaves, needles, maybe a little dirty if I let the outside of the bladder pick up dirt or mud.

I personally like a dedicated inside pocket for the bladder with at least one exit port. Two is a better option though in case someone has a preference for locating the hose. Some folks don't like the inside pocket, they find it difficult to fill. I have two packs where the bladder is placed into an outside back pocket. This makes refilling slightly easier, but I personally do not find this to be an issue. I think though that when placed into the back side of the pack, the weight is not exactly where it is optimal.

In addition, some packs come with hose clips on the shoulder straps, but you can buy these and add to most packs.

I wouldn't base pack selection on cleanability. I'd go first with fit, capacity, and organization, but it is your criteria so maybe someone else will chime in.

Wise Old Owl
12-31-2008, 00:00
John - you left out what the pack is for, is it another day pack or is it for a week of backpacking. If you are in love with your current day pack there are kits to add a hydration unit, and the pipe can be run down the strap with a few velco straps from a hardware store or make a small cut just under the top frap and seal with a match. As for the name brand they are all really good, fyi you should also get a cleaning kit, I picked up my cleaning kit from walmart and saved a few bucks. In short I don't think you need to spend $$$ to have a good time hiking, save that for the sleeping bag.

Many Walks
12-31-2008, 00:29
We started with the Platypus hydration system with the wide zip lock mouth. It was easy to fill, but we had to be really careful to ensure the entire zip lock was secure. We also had hose crimping problems early on. We went to Camelbacks and really liked them. Tight caps, easy to fill, hoses were durable and the mouthpiece worked well. After the hike we got The North Face day packs with The North Face hydration system and REALLY like those. The bag cap is secure and the hoses are really durable. Plus the hoses have a quick detach that makes for easy cleaning. The mouthpiece is easy to drink from and has a built in shut off...and the best part, it has a magnetic clip that secures the mouthpiece to the sternum strap. Very convenient. We started our thru with Osprey Expedition packs with the inside pouch. That placement is good for load distribution and even cooling our back, but is a hassle for filling because we had to unpack some to get the bladder in. We went to Granite Gear Vapor Trail packs in Franklin, NC, and carried the bladder in one of the outside pouches. That worked well, but while the packs were light they were hot on our backs with no air space. We finally found some nice little Coleman Exponent packs in Erwin, TN, and carried them the rest of the way. With those we simply packed our gear in the morning, closed the storage compartment, laid the bladder on top, tightened the straps and flipped the cover over everything. With the bladder laying on top it's easy to get to, puts the weight on top and doesn't take up room in the pack. In future long hikes I'll pack the North Face bladder that way in whatever pack I use. Final note, we tried a lot of electrolyte additives and our favorite by far is the Camelback Elixir. It works, tastes good and doesn't gum up the bladder and hose. Hope this helps a little.

johnnybgood
12-31-2008, 21:05
John - you left out what the pack is for, is it another day pack or is it for a week of backpacking. If you are in love with your current day pack there are kits to add a hydration unit, and the pipe can be run down the strap with a few velco straps from a hardware store or make a small cut just under the top frap and seal with a match. As for the name brand they are all really good, fyi you should also get a cleaning kit, I picked up my cleaning kit from walmart and saved a few bucks. In short I don't think you need to spend $$$ to have a good time hiking, save that for the sleeping bag.
Was referring to my day pack which came with a Hydration bladder unit but I also have a Osprey Talon 44- 2600 that was bought from a WB poster that has no hydration unit. So does this pack need a retro fitted kit or will any brand X kit do? I have the velcro straps I kept knowing full well they would be handy one day. Thx for the advice.