PDA

View Full Version : My Turn for gear list review

.5step
12-31-2008, 12:45
Below is my gear list for my upcoming thruhike (NOBO, March ’09). I’d love to shave off a few pounds from my gear if possible---where do you see room for the most savings?

I’ve left a few items’ weights blank where the weight is going to be minimal, or I just don’t know it.

Personally, I think I can find some weight savings with:

1) pocket rocket, (3 oz), canister (8 oz), (net saving 19 oz)
2) lighter camp pants?
3) driducks rain suit (12 oz), instead of Patagonia shell, net savings (8 oz)
4) eat nothing but matzoh with old bay for 6 months

What do you think?

Pack:
Osprey Atmos 65--- 3 lbs., 10 oz.

Shelter and Sleep:
TT Contrail---1 lb., 8 oz. (do I bring the ground cloth?)
Marmot 30 down bag with compression sack---2 lbs. 14 oz.
Thermarest Pro Lite 3 (3/4 pad)---13 oz.

Kitchen:
Whisperlite---15.6 oz
20 f oz. Fuel container---15 oz (half full)
MSR pot---11.75 oz
titanium knife and fork—1.2 oz
lighter and matches
1 gatorade bottle
2L bladder---7.6 oz
titanium mug---5.1 oz
spice containers--- film canisters…is there such a thing as too much old bay?

Misc:
Leki poles---1.5 lbs.
first aid kit
AquaMira drops
pocket knife---2 oz
petzl headlamp---2.75 oz
duct tape
camera & charger---13 oz.
campsuds---3 oz
Frisbee---6 oz
Harmonica---3.3 oz
Eyewear (contact solution, extra lenses, case, glasses)---13 oz.
Book---7 oz (tinker, tailor, soldier, spy by john lecarre)
paper/pen
Credit card/ID/phone card
Compass
Toothbrush/floss/paste—5 oz.
2 bandanas
3 cordura stuff sacks---2.5 oz
Earplugs
40 foot rope
maps
guidebook—9.3 oz (I don’t like ripping books)
Binoculars---6.75 oz (I like birds)
small plastic bottles for olive oil, rubbing alcohol---
Compactor trash bags

Clothing Packed:
Montbell Alpine Parka---14.2 oz
balaclava
crocs--10z.
2 pair Smartwool socks---6.5 oz.
2 pair smartwool liners—4 oz.
OR gloves---2.7 oz.
Patagonia rain shell---14 oz.
DriDucks rain pants---6 oz
Capilene midweight long sleeve shirt---5.2 oz.
Mountain Hardwear convertible pants---1 lb. 3 oz.
Patagonia long john top—7 oz

Clothing Worn:
lightweight boots--- need a new pair with some ankle support
1 pair Smart Wool socks and liners---3 oz.
Orioles hat---3 oz
Patagonia long john bottom---7 oz
Capilene long sleeve shirt---5 oz. (old ultimate Frisbee jersey)
Marmot catalyst jacket---12 oz.
Liner shorts---4.4 oz

Grand total (with some gaps): 396 oz or 25 lbs. before food.

MOWGLI
12-31-2008, 12:49
I don't normally comment on these lists, but I noticed you're carrying a 30 degree bag and a 3/4 length pad. How do you sleep? Warm or cold? A 30 degree bag and 3/4 pad for a March start is not for everyone. Make sure you have enough clothes to sleep in to stay warm. You can expect some temps in the teens and low 20s with a March start, and maybe lower.

Good luck!

.5step
12-31-2008, 13:07
I'm a fairly warm sleeper--I was fine in my bag in SNP a month ago during some snow, but I definitely see your point.

I think between my longjohn top and bottom, alpine parka, and balaclava, I should be cozy in my bag. I'll find out for sure this weekend on a shakedown.

MOWGLI
12-31-2008, 13:10
I'm a fairly warm sleeper--I was fine in my bag in SNP a month ago during some snow, but I definitely see your point.

I think between my longjohn top and bottom, alpine parka, and balaclava, I should be cozy in my bag. I'll find out for sure this weekend on a shakedown.

You can always strap a closed cell foam pad to your pack until it warms up a bit. They're bulky, but don't weigh much. I sometimes wrap my thermarest in a closed cell foam pad and lash them to my pack when I backpack in winter. The extra insulation beneath me can make a big difference.

.5step
12-31-2008, 13:14
great idea! I'll have to borrow a friend's and try it out.

mountain squid
12-31-2008, 13:31
Some observations:

for weight savings consider an alcohol stove and lighter pot (http://antigravitygear.com/)
leave dinner knife - you have a pocket knife
consider bouncing camera charger
tp
hand sanitizer
needle for draining blisters
sunscreen
leave frisbee, harmonica, book, binoculars until you have your trail legs - there are other things to do in the beginning
maybe switch out a long sleeve shirt for a short sleeve

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Slo-go'en
12-31-2008, 13:38
The stuff which doesn't go into the pack can be subtracted from your weight, such as the clothes you wear and the poles, so that takes about 2 pounds off the total.

Consider adding a silk liner for the bag if it is indeed a 30* bag. Also maybe a piece of CCF for the foot of your 3/4 pad and to use as a sitting pad. Some people will say no and some say yes to a ground cloth for the tent. Personally, I say yes to protect the floor of my expensive tent and keep it dry and clean. It can also be used in a shelter to keep your bag cleaner if the floor is all dirty.

White gas is getting a little harder to find on the trail, as most people are now using canister or alcohol stoves these days and switching to one of these will save a little weight and bulk.

The harmonica, fresbee, book and binoculars might not make it past the first chance to send them home.

Make sure your first aid kit has "New Skin" (for blisters), sun block (small roll on tube will do) and chap stick. Needle, thread and small sissors are good to have too.

All in all, you have a good start and it won't be until your on the trail that you can figure out what else you might be able to loose (or have to add). Have your pack checked out at Neel(s) gap when you get there.

Good Luck and have a good time!

BrianLe
12-31-2008, 14:41
A couple thoughts on the extra padding issue ...
Age seems to be a factor here; you don't list yours, but perhaps you already know how much or little padding you need to sleep well.

I concur that a ccf pad, even a full-length one is neither heavy nor expensive, just bulky. Packing it on the outside, however, means that it's readily available for use at breaks or lunchtime, which again might be relatively nicer in March.

You questioned whether you would bring a ground cloth for use with your tent; I've seen people use a ccf pad *under* their tent so that it sort of serves as ground cloth as well as additional thermal and comfort padding. Note that once you start doing that, however, it could get wet as well as dirty/muddy, perhaps impacting carry weight. I personally used a GG polycro ground cloth this year with good luck, and kept my ccf pad inside the tent, so can't speak to the "under the tent" approach from experience.

KG4FAM
12-31-2008, 14:46
Looks like you are on the right track to not killing yourself. You will figure it out and make it better as you go along.

buckwheat
12-31-2008, 15:05
So, my question would be ... have you ever hiked 15 miles carrying 40 pounds on your back?

25 pounds + 5 days of food = 35 pounds + 2L of water = almost 40 pounds, give or take a harmonica or two.

You have a LOT of stuff that I would consider luxuries that I wish I could carry in my pack, but can't owing to the weight problem.

Are you really going to carry olive oil? I would yogi this off all the other hikers who are toting olive oil 2,100 miles down the trail.

asm109
12-31-2008, 15:07
[quote=.5step;748231]Below is my gear list for my upcoming thruhike (NOBO, March ’09). I’d love to shave off a few pounds from my gear if

What do you think?

Pack:
Osprey Atmos 65--- 3 lbs., 10 oz. 58 oz

Shelter and Sleep:
TT Contrail---1 lb., 8 oz. (do I bring the ground cloth?)
Marmot 30 down bag with compression sack---2 lbs. 14 oz. 46 oz

Pack. A Six Moon Designs Starlite or Gossamer Gear Mariposa will carry 35 pounds and weighs less than 2 pounds (6MD 30 ozs Mariposa 21 oz both wts include optional stays)

Sleeping Bag. 800 fill power down bag. A Western Mountaineering Megalite is a 30 degree bag that weighs 1.5 pounds.
Alternately you can get a 20degree Alpinlite for 2 pounds or a 10 degree Versalite for 2 pounds. The exact choice depends on your height and size.

Min weight savings would be with the 6 moons pack and the Alpinlite bag.
Your wt 58+46= 104
30 +32=64

Savings 104-64 = 44 ozs 2 lbs 12 oz.

Max savings with Megalite bag and Mariposa pack
24+ 21=45 ozs

Max savings 104-45= 59 oz= 3lbs 11 oz.

KG4FAM
12-31-2008, 15:12
So, my question would be ... have you ever hiked 15 miles carrying 40 pounds on your back?

25 pounds + 5 days of food = 35 pounds + 2L of water = almost 40 pounds, give or take a harmonica or two.

You have a LOT of stuff that I would consider luxuries that I wish I could carry in my pack, but can't owing to the weight problem.

Are you really going to carry olive oil? I would yogi this off all the other hikers who are toting olive oil 2,100 miles down the trail.So 40lbs on your back is what makes people scream rape these days?

He has good stuff for the big ticket items so he is not going to have to empty his bank account at Mountain Crossings.

Slo-go'en
12-31-2008, 16:10
He has good stuff for the big ticket items so he is not going to have to empty his bank account at Mountain Crossings.

Yeah, his big 4 is just under 9 lb's, which isn't great, but not too bad. He'd have to spend a few $$ to drop a pound or two there and likely ain't worth it. The kitchen is a bit on the heavy side, which is the best bet for weight reduction. Other optional gear and clothes can be tweaked along the way. A 20-25 lb pack base weight is typical for an early March start.

Jack Tarlin
12-31-2008, 16:23
*If you want to bring something non-Trail related to read, that's great, so
I wouldn't listen to the folks telling you to pitch the book. I'd go crazy
without something good to read.

*As well as something to read, don't forget a journal/diary, which can also
double as an address book, photo log, etc. Most hikers that don't keep a
trip diary of some sort later wish that they had.

*I agree with the folks who've advised a lighter-weight stove. The Whisper-
lite and fuel together weighs almost two pounds. A Pocket Rocket or some-
thing similar, with a fuel cannister good for a week or more, weighs around
half a pound and takes up a lot less space.

*If you think you'll want to use something like olive oil, then you should by all
means pack your own. To constantly rely on stuff that you enjoy while let-
ting others carry it isn't "yogi-ing". It is mooching, pure and simple, and it's
to be avoided. Everyone carries items that other folks would consider
"luxury" items, and that's fine. But if you want to have something handy
the field, suck it up and carry it yourself. Nobody likes a Trail mooch.

Seeker
12-31-2008, 18:28

i'm thinking a 30* down bag shouldn't weigh this much... somebody help me out here please...

.5step
12-31-2008, 19:40
Thanks for the suggestions--

I'm definitely going to look into a pocket rocket or alcohol stove, and a lighter pot. Probably practice making a few soda can stoves tomorrow.

And a piece or full length ccf is definitely a great suggestion--

And I've been thinking about getting a lighter, warmer sleeping bag for the winter months, and then having my current bag mailed to me. That'll be another post asking for advice :)

As far as the "luxuries," I can ditch the frisbee for the start, and even the harmonica (I'm not that good)...but as Jack said, I'd go nuts without something good to read in the evenings...and I do enjoy using binoculars--

So not to be defensive, but some of these luxuries are just things that make my hikes/evenings more enjoyable.

And olive oil doesn't way that much in a small plastic bottle. :)

Keep the advice coming!!

.5step
12-31-2008, 19:47
I'm sorry--I don't normally do this, but I can't believe I typed "way" instead of "weigh"

Wow....embarrassing

TrippinBTM
12-31-2008, 20:53
Well, the frisbee should go.. kinda hard to throw those things in the woods anyways, and chances are you'll be pretty tired in the beginning.

I had binoculars too (I like birdwatching) but sent them home very early on... but maybe you'll use yours more than I did mine.

You won't need the compass.

Probably won't use the campsuds much after a week or two, you just end up facing the reality that there's dirt, and it's not bad for you.

I STRONGLY recommend an alcohol stove. I used a Whisperlite myself, but have realized the error of my ways. Make the switch; it's a HUGE weight savings. (check out the supercat stove: http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html It's simple as dirt, and works reliably (no moving parts, nothing to break))

I'm surprised your titanium mug weights over 5 oz. My titanium mug AND pot weight about the same, if not less than just your mug. Are you sure it's not stainless steel?

you won't need the kitchen knife, or the matches. Stick with the bic. If it dies (rare) someone else can help you out till you get to town.

First Aid kit can probably be lightened, though I don't know what's in yours or how much it weights. Pretty much a couple bandaids, moleskin, a needle, and Ibuprophin will be fine. Maybe some neosporin. Tweezers can be useful if you can find light ones (one off a Swiss Army Knife would be best).

Some of these suggestions can be hard to believe, but trust me, you'll soon be looking for ANY way to lighten the load. A few hundred miles in, I threw out my bandaids to save weight. Yeah. My bandaids. All five of them. My first-aid was a patch of moleskin and Ibuprophin.

Sometimes we'd all do group "shake-downs" too: a group of hikers would gather around someone to go through his or her pack, everything in it, and convince them to get rid of stuff, via peer pressure. (if only such a culture could develop in mainstream America, the world would be so much better off... but that's a whole other thread, if not another forum completely).

also, don't be fooled: whether it's in your pack or not, it's weight you have to carry. The shirt on your back can't be exempt from your total weight.

Panzer1
12-31-2008, 22:19
Here's a 30 degree Marmot goose down bag that only weights 1 lb 15 oz
(it is a 600 fill) someone must have put a rock in yours. :D

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___46451

Panzer

Panzer1
12-31-2008, 22:24
I'm surprised your titanium mug weights over 5 oz. My titanium mug AND pot weight about the same, if not less than just your mug. Are you sure it's not stainless steel?

its probably an insulated double wall titanium mug. they weigh almost double that of a single wall.

Panzer

Panzer1
12-31-2008, 23:07
leave dinner knife - you have a pocket knife

I wouldn't want to eat with my pocket knife after some of the places its been. I use my table knife 2 times a day on the trail plus I keep it cleaner that the pocket knife.

Panzer

wcgornto
12-31-2008, 23:23
Here's a 30 degree Marmot goose down bag that only weights 1 lb 15 oz
(it is a 600 fill) someone must have put a rock in yours. :D

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___46451

Panzer

And here's one that's 1 pound, 9 ounces.

http://marmot.com/fall_2008/equipment/sleeping_bags/ultralight/hydrogen_reg/info/details

Panzer1
01-01-2009, 00:18
Whisperlite---15.6 oz
20 f oz. Fuel container---15 oz (half full)

At about 2 pounds that stove setup is about as heavy as you can get. I usually carry a pocket rocket canister stove because it is so much lighter.

However, your wisperlite is an excellent winter stove, one of the best ever made and with a 20 oz of fuel you will never run out of fuel. On those cold winter nights you will be glad that you lugged that heavy stove all the way up that mountain, really. And you won't have to sleep with a cold fuel bottle in you sleeping bag like the pocket rocket users need to do.

Also, if your not going to carry a full 20 oz fuel bottle you could switch to the smaller 11 oz fuel bottle and same some space and weight.

Panzer

prain4u
01-01-2009, 04:07
As people debate what eating utensils you should keep---and as people say "ditch" the Frisbee---I started having a fond "flashback" to my earliest days of hiking.

I did my first "longer" hike in 1978 at age 16. It was an 80 mile hike in the Rockies over a 12 day period. I weighed about 115 lbs and my pack weighed 45-55 lbs (depending how close I was to resupply). For eating, I used a spoon and an 8 oz. aluminum cup. I used a FRISBEE as a plate (and it doubled as a throwing toy). I also had a pocket knife.

That was the MOST stuff that I ever carried with me for eating "equipment". Since the Summer of 1979, (when camping or hiking) I have eaten everything out of a small cup or mug (or right out of the cooking pot) and I have used only a spoon (or "spork"). If a knife is absolutely neccesary, I clean off my pocket knife and use it. However, I have had very few trail meals where I had to use a knife (other than to help open the packaging!)

Thanks for taking me back to my days of carrying knives and forks and using Frisbees as plates!

BrianLe
01-01-2009, 14:16
"I'd go nuts without something good to read in the evenings...and I do enjoy using binoculars--"

Fortunately, these sorts of things aren't difficult to adjust on a long hike. Just mail home or give away what you don't want to carry. That said, thru-hiking the PCT this (ulp, now "last") year I pretty much never was inclined to read except maybe in a trail town, and I'm someone that really likes to read. And the AT is a more social trail. YMMV of course, but I'd be surprised if as a thru-hiker you're reading much.

Binoculars: I carried a monocular for a while, attached to my pack strap. I normally like this approach, as a monocular is lighter and optics that aren't ready-to-hand are much less often used. But I mailed the monocular home. I certainly saw wildlife but I just found that I was almost never reaching for the monocular, and it was just one more thing I could thus do without.

You mentioned trying to make an alcohol stove, and more power to you, but (FWIW) my attempts at that a couple of years ago resulted in a pretty mediocre stove, despite careful attempts to follow directions. A commercially made stove isn't (necessarily) that expensive. You can get, for example, a Brasslite stove for $30 or $40 (depending on the model --- http://www.brasslite.com/); mine worked flawlessly throughout. If you're on a tight budget, of course, make your own and test it out. I found $30 pretty cheap for something that cooked well for something like 5 months and is still going strong (simmer ring is a little loose now, but still works).

TrippinBTM
01-01-2009, 14:51
Re: the binoculars... the main way to see wildlife is to be silent and motionless. Hard to do when you're hiking. And at the shelters there's too many people and noise. I really didn't see much wildlife at all on the trail, considering I was in the woods for almost 6 months.

.5step
01-01-2009, 19:20
Thank you all, especially quoddy, for your help and tips.

I think I'm making progress:

Major Replacement:

--WM Megalite or Ultralite (leaning towards Megalite since I can layer with my parka in the wider cut bag, but convince me why or why not)

...22 oz. savings

Ditch:

frisbee (6 oz)
harmonica (3.3 oz)
Ti mug (5 oz)
book or binocular (6 oz)

...........20.3 oz savings

Minor Replacements:

--Rain shell (14 oz), with DriDucks...8 oz. savings
--Whisperlite with pocket rocket...~21 oz. savings
--Pot & Mug w/ Titan kettle...8 oz. savings
--2L bladder with plastic bottles and lighter platypus w/ no hose...~3 oz. savings

Total savings: 82.3 oz, or 5 lbs.
Pack weight w/o food or water: 20 lbs.

Finally, can anyone recommend some nice lightweight pants for campwear? Any other suggestions on where I can cut weight?

KG4FAM
01-01-2009, 19:37
harmonica (3.3 oz)
book or binocular (6 oz)

No, not the harmonica (assuming you know how to play). I love it when folks that know how to play are out there with some evening entertainment. Les Stroud always carries his.

Keep the book. I find it a lot easier and more enjoyable to read at night when I am out hiking. Of course if you feel like reading you can always pick one up in towns or have one shipped to you.

Wags
01-01-2009, 20:01
yes please keep the harmonica. if i catch up w/ you on the trail i will carry a bottle of your water for you in exchange for tunes after supper

Lone Wolf
01-01-2009, 20:04
yes please keep the harmonica. if i catch up w/ you on the trail i will carry a bottle of your water for you in exchange for tunes after supper

you like "oh sussana or somethin'"?

TrippinBTM
01-01-2009, 20:10
I use my table knife 2 times a day on the trail.
What on earth for?

Scrapes
01-02-2009, 00:37
--2L bladder with plastic bottles and lighter platypus w/ no hose...~3 oz. savings

for the weight savings I'd reconsider using a bladder with a hose, I have trouble reaching the bottles in my Atmos "50" with out taking the pack off or asking for help. the tubes are just to convenient not to use.

Wags
01-02-2009, 02:15
i like some neil young. oh susanna is a little too yokel for me

Many Walks
01-03-2009, 23:15
Just a few thoughts, if you're cooking just for yourself you might dump the pot and stick with the titanium single wall mug, depending on your menu and cooking style. I wouldn't carry two knives, the kitchen knife would go. If your camera has a zoom you can use that and leave behind the binoculars. You'd probably rather get a picture anyway. Don't know what type of rope you have, but I carried parachute cord and was happy with that. Some have even recommended builders braided string to go even lighter. Two pair of socks is enough. I'd dump one pair. You can dry the other pair on your pack while hiking the next day. Two large safety or diaper pins works well to attach them. We used the 3/4 Thermarest Pro lite pads and tossed our fleece or jackets in the end of our bags. Our feet were warm and in the morning the clothes were toasty to put on and no need for CCF. We both carried a 3' sq piece of Tyvek, which is light and provides a good place to put your gear as a floor for your vestibule. Sometimes it's nice to crawl out of the tent onto something other than mud. It's also good to sit on if you're concerned about ticks, chiggers, etc. I doubt if you'll really need the compass, but the other luxuries are up to you. I agree with Jack, if you want it then you should carry it and not mooch off of others. I just recommend you start with the very minimum and work up from there adding luxuries as you go. Every ounce becomes very apparent during the first two weeks and what seems important now will just be too much baggage in the Georgia. Wish you the best hike ever!

Many Walks
01-04-2009, 00:11
Add a windscreen for your stove.

Worldwide
01-04-2009, 08:15
I think the Monthbell Alpine Parka is overkill. Montbell makes a really really light jacket don't know the name of it even though I am wearing it as I type. It is like 5 -7 ounces and when I layer it under a windstopping type shell it is pretty damn warm. However, I would try going with what you have and send the stuff home that you never use except 1st aid stuff just because you haven't used it doesn't mean you won't need it.

Please if you carry a harmonica know how to play it atleast. Nothing worse than sitting around 3 people at a campfire learning how to play a new instrument.

Worldwide
01-04-2009, 08:17
Oh and for the Bino's they should be the ones that have screw off lenses so It can hold your favorite libation.

javanut
01-11-2009, 21:14
I was just curious what bino's you were/are planning to take that weigh in at under 7 oz? I'm a birder myself, and a 2009 hopeful, and was looking into bins and the only compact ones I can find, (that I can afford) weigh 11 oz, which is much more than I am willing to carry if I decide to take bins in the first place.

thanks!