PDA

View Full Version : Army Poncho Liner as summer bag?!?!!

tlbj6142
04-15-2004, 20:36
Would an Army Poncho Liner (http://www.rangerjoes.com/catalog/selection.cfm?category=main&id=204)be warm enough from Pearisburg,VA (ETA 1-June-2004) into Hanover, NH (isn't that the normal "pick-up your cold stuff again" town)? Assume user would still have long-johns, hat, socks and gloves.

My brother Casey (http://www.trailjournals.com/cburnett/) (cburnett on this board) is on the trail now and had it recomended to him. He currently doesn't have a planned warm weather bag, so he has been asking around.

Footslogger
04-15-2004, 22:25
I have my old camo poncho liner from the service (ancient history) and have used it as a sleeping bag quite a lot in the summer months. I actually carry it in my truck now as an emergency blanket.

Anyway ...last year when I hit Pearisburg I switched over to a light weight bag from REI called the "Travel Sack". It was rated at 50 degrees and weighed about a pound. If I hadn't bought that light weight bag I definitely would have carried my poncho liner. Unless June is unusually cold this year in Virginia I really do believe you'd be fine. On those occasional chilly nights you can always layer on some extra clothes to make up the difference.

'Slogger

Mountain Dew
04-15-2004, 22:58
Footslogger is right..... I also used a 50 rating bag around that area along with longjohns, long pants and was fine. I got caught by an early cold front on Straton Mountain though and paid the price for a few nights !!!

Ramble~On
04-30-2004, 05:23
Hell yeah it'd work.
I've used mine as a summer "bag" for years.
There will always be "cold" nights where you might wish you'd had a regular bag but they are few and far between for the time frame you are talking about.

peter_pan
04-30-2004, 07:07
Yellow Jacket,
An Army poncho liner weighs 21.5 oz. I cut mine down to 78x48, added a draw string across the bottom and put 18 " of velcro No Snag on each side of the foot end and put a head slit in the middle with a closure flap on the slit. Thus it can have a footsack configuration for sleep.Or it can be warn as a cerape in camp. It can also be used flat. This set up weigh 16 oz :jump Obviously a shirt can also be cut from the packing list :clap This was an early version of what eventually became The Jack"r"Better No Sniveling Quilt. BTW, the No Sniveling quilt at 1.5 inches of down is good to at least 40, have used mine to 35, and also beats the poncho liner in weight, while almost matching it in pack size. It weights 19.5 oz.

Used this poncho liner for 130 miles last year, seem to be good for me to about 50. I don't sleep particularly warm, kind of average I'd say.

scout005
09-22-2005, 21:09
i use the poncho liner in the summer. i had a seamstress sew velcro around 3 sides of it to make an envelope/bag which works pretty well. also like a previous post, i had a slit cut in the center for a head hole so it can be worn as a warm, poncho- like setup. had velcro sewn on to close the head hole also. now you have a sleeping bag/quilt and something warm to wear around camp. one piece of gear doing several functions. i like that!

neo
09-22-2005, 22:04
Would an Army Poncho Liner (http://www.rangerjoes.com/catalog/selection.cfm?category=main&id=204)be warm enough from Pearisburg,VA (ETA 1-June-2004) into Hanover, NH (isn't that the normal "pick-up your cold stuff again" town)? Assume user would still have long-johns, hat, socks and gloves.

My brother Casey (http://www.trailjournals.com/cburnett/) (cburnett on this board) is on the trail now and had it recomended to him. He currently doesn't have a planned warm weather bag, so he has been asking around.
thats what i use in my hammock in the summer,i also have a underquilt
made out of a poncho liner,here is a better price 19.95:cool:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?dept_id=720&sku=BJR-542&imgid=&mscssid=MPR7JBPXLMSX9LEMWUURX18SH69GCSTA

Patrick
09-23-2005, 00:21
I like it. I bought one of these to make a hammock underquilt as SGT Rock suggested on his site. I returned it because it was a bit heavy for its insulation, but it would make a cheap and simple summer quilt for sure.

Big Daddy D
09-23-2005, 00:41
tlbj6142,

I used my poncho liner along with my Thinsulate 20* bag for any weather variations on my thru this year. The liner was perfect just to lay over me with my bag as an extra pad when it was warm and was an awesome bag insert when it was colder. Together the two items were lightweight and not bulky.

Whatever you do, always put your sleeping gear inside a plastic bag even inside your pack. I never got my sleeping gear wet and I packed mine outside, on top of my backpack. There were days when some thrus got wet bags that were packed inside their internal frame packs!

Great hiking,
Big Daddy D
GAME 05

Wolf - 23000
10-16-2005, 09:27
Poncho Liner WHY???

A Poncho Liner weight is 23 oz, the same weight as several sleeping bags or slightly less than a good 20 degree bag. Add in the extra clothes (long johns, shirt, etc.) approximately a pound bring your total around 49 oz. You end up carrying more then just carrying an average sleeping bag.

Wolf

tlbj6142
10-17-2005, 09:44
BTW, my brother did try the poncho liner thing for a while but gave up as it was too cold. Switched to the REI Tavel Down bag.

Streamweaver
10-17-2005, 14:24
Poncho Liner WHY???

A Poncho Liner weight is 23 oz, the same weight as several sleeping bags or slightly less than a good 20 degree bag. Add in the extra clothes (long johns, shirt, etc.) approximately a pound bring your total around 49 oz. You end up carrying more then just carrying an average sleeping bag.

Wolf

What kind of sleeping bags are you buying that several add up to 23ozs???

SGT Rock
10-17-2005, 14:57
I think he meant that several models are 23 ounces or less.

Streamweaver
10-18-2005, 10:40
I think he meant that several models are 23 ounces or less.

Ok I got ya! I wish I could get a bag that light ,but at my size it would likely cost a small fortune!! Just under 3lbs is about as light as I can get!

Wolf - 23000
10-19-2005, 18:22
Streamweaver,

I’m 6’2 weighting over 200 pounds. There are several bags that most big hikers can use that weigh the same or close to the weight of an Army Poncho Liner. Feathered Friends for one makes several bags such as the Merlin - 24 oz, Osprey – 27 oz, Humming Bird – 29oz, Mountain Hardwear Phantom 45 – Long 17oz. I could go on but I think I made my point.

Wolf

SGT Rock
10-19-2005, 18:25
If you are looking for something like a poncho liner for build, but want better weight and warmth you should look into a No-Sniveler from JRB. I gues you could also ask them to make on of their lighter quilts with a head hole too.

Seeker
10-20-2005, 00:48
Streamweaver,
I’m 6’2 weighting over 200 pounds. There are several bags that most big hikers can use that weigh the same or close to the weight of an Army Poncho Liner. Feathered Friends for one makes several bags such as the Merlin - 24 oz, Osprey – 27 oz, Humming Bird – 29oz, Mountain Hardwear Phantom 45 – Long 17oz. I could go on but I think I made my point. Wolf
Western Mountaineering makes several... highlite, caribou, alpenlite, mightylite...

Marmot does too...

Nearly Normal
10-20-2005, 02:30
In really warms spots I use a silk jag bag. They are super people to deal with and will customize. It also works great as a liner adding warmth.
Pete