PDA

View Full Version : gear help

wikea1
12-31-2008, 14:03
I am starting end of march at springer, what gear would I need for spring when I start clothing-wise, and for how long? then what would I need for the summer and would those clothing articles last me until the end or would I need to swithc back to winter clothing at some point? I know I will use a 0 degree bag and then switch to 20 degree but I dont know when just like with clothing....packed question i know but I would appreciate any answer!

buckwheat
12-31-2008, 15:12
I haven't completed a thru-hike, but I've decided not to worry about this. Reason: You will probably pass 400 Wal-Marts on your through hike. At just about any town, you'll be able to get clothing suitable for the season/weather you find yourself in.

I'd make sure I had enough warm wear to start out, and then worry about whether to ship, or just toss into the garbage, any clothing that becomes dead weight as I progress down the trail (it's probably going to smell to high heaven, so you may not want to even ship it home).

My 2c.

KG4FAM
12-31-2008, 15:20
I haven't completed a thru-hike, but I've decided not to worry about this. Reason: You will probably pass 400 Wal-Marts on your through hike. At just about any town, you'll be able to get clothing suitable for the season/weather you find yourself in.Not that many walmarts in trail towns that I have been in. None in trail towns in Georgia and Maine.

A raincoat, A fleece jacket, a pair of long johns, hat and gloves should keep you warm enough to stay alive. Keep it until it warms up in southern virginia and get it back in Hanover.

MOWGLI
12-31-2008, 15:27
I am starting end of march at springer, what gear would I need for spring when I start clothing-wise, and for how long? then what would I need for the summer and would those clothing articles last me until the end or would I need to swithc back to winter clothing at some point? I know I will use a 0 degree bag and then switch to 20 degree but I dont know when just like with clothing....packed question i know but I would appreciate any answer!

If you do a traditional NOBO thru-hike, I would hold onto the zero degree bag until at least Pearisburg, VA. It gets might cold above 5000', and Mt Rogers is not a place to experiment with your tolerance for cold.

Clothing wise?

A base layer (top & bottom)
hiking shorts or pants (or both)
a fleece top
wicking shirt
rain jacket (rain pants optional)
couple pairs of socks
hat
gloves
balaclava

That should suffice. Others will dispense different advice.

Good luck!

Jack Tarlin
12-31-2008, 16:40
Actually, there are only around a dozen Wal-Marts really close to the Trail.

They can come in handy and will save you money on a lot of stuff, but you'll also go weeks at a time without getting anywhere near one.