PDA

View Full Version : triple crown

wikea1
12-31-2008, 14:07
just a curious question. How many of you have wanted to or have hiked the triple crown?

Lone Wolf
12-31-2008, 14:09
haven't. don't want to. no prizes involved

buckwheat
12-31-2008, 15:08
Do want to. There most certainly is a prize for doing so: The adventure!

MOWGLI
12-31-2008, 15:16
I have a desire to hike the PCT. I hope to do it in the next 3-4 years. The CDT would be great, but there are so many amazing trails out there. To get fixated on those three is too narrow a view for me.

I'm content to tear off a 200 miler every year. It works for my marriage, and helps keep me just barely on the sane side of the fence. Trails I want to hike before I croak?

Cohoes Trail
Superior Hiking Trail
Wonderland Trail (hopefully 2010)
Colorado Trail (have done 60 miles)
Arizona Trail (will hike in AZ this spring)
Bibbulman Track (Land of Oz)
Coastal Oregon
West Coast Trail (Vancouver, BC)
Brooks Range bushwack - Alaska

Mags
12-31-2008, 15:19
As with Mowgli, my mental radar is focusing on smaller trails:

Hayduke Trail
Great Divide Trail (Canada)
Arizona Trail
Benton Mackaye Trail
...among others

So much to do out there...

MOWGLI
12-31-2008, 15:22
As with Mowgli, my mental radar is focusing on smaller trails:

Hayduke Trail
Great Divide Trail (Canada)
Arizona Trail
Benton Mackaye Trail
...among others

So much to do out there...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone has done all of the Hayduke Trail in one straight shot. It looks like water is a major issue, and caches would be required. It would be an amazing adventure though. Add that one to my list.

thejackal
12-31-2008, 15:27
anyone have a guess as to how many people have actually hiked the AT, CDT, and PCT?

TrippinBTM
12-31-2008, 15:41
Well, it's like this. I didn't want to hike the PCT before or during the AT. But now, with that over and no great adventure for a goal (because who really cares about a career or anything, right?) I've decided I will. But not the CDT. But then, we'll have to see about that when I'm done with the PCT, haha.

question: do you have to thru-hike them to be triple crown, or can you section hike them?

Mags
12-31-2008, 15:44
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone has done all of the Hayduke Trail in one straight shot. It looks like water is a major issue, and caches would be required. It would be an amazing adventure though. Add that one to my list.

Brian Frankle (ULA gear) is the first person known to have done it thru-hiker style.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/hayduke/index.htm

Trauma did it as well among others...

My friend "Love Barge" is going to do it this March as well.

probably 10-15 people (maybe?) at this point who have done it.

It would indeed be quite the journey!

emerald
12-31-2008, 15:45
anyone have a guess as to how many people have actually hiked the AT, CDT, and PCT?

Click on triple crown (http://www.aldhawest.org/Triple/default.asp) for information provided by ALDHAWest.

MOWGLI
12-31-2008, 15:47

Probably less than 100. But who really knows? Not everyone reports completing a trail. Some like to remain anonymous.

Mags
12-31-2008, 15:48
question: do you have to thru-hike them to be triple crown, or can you section hike them?

You can section hike them to get the triple crown. And take alternate routes as well.

"Officially": http://www.aldhawest.org/Triple/default.asp

There are people who don't report their hikes though.

Overall, that and $2 gets you an overpriced cup of coffee... :sun

The real litmus test is what you do after getting the triple crown. Do you still do outdoors stuff? Or do you look for another hobby to get a plaque for? :D

MOWGLI
12-31-2008, 15:51
Brian Frankle (ULA gear) is the first person known to have done it thru-hiker style.

Thanks Mags! I stand corrected!

Mags
12-31-2008, 15:52
Thanks Mags! I stand corrected!

Pretty amazing what Brian did. No caches, self supported. Rather cool.

Ever since I went to utah the first time back in 2001, I wanted to explore this region more.

Utah is just awesome.

MOWGLI
12-31-2008, 15:56
Pretty amazing what Brian did. No caches, self supported. Rather cool.

Ever since I went to utah the first time back in 2001, I wanted to explore this region more.

Utah is just awesome.

I agree about the beauty of Utah. It's jaw dropping.

I was surprised that Brian's MPD average was as low as it was. Carrying 24 pounds of water though!! Wow! And carrying 12 pounds on average. This is definitely a "horse of a different color."

Bucky Katt
12-31-2008, 17:15
just a curious question. How many of you have wanted to or have hiked the triple crown?

I have....with a slight exception. I hiked the Dragon's Tooth Trail up to Dragon's Tooth....and then back down again. And I've hiked from 311 up and over Tinker's Cliff to whatever that shelter is on the far side of the mountain.

And I've hiked from 311 towards Dragon's Tooth, but I've never hiked all the way from Dragon's Tooth to Rt. 311, which is why I dunno about whater around there.

When are yall doin the hike, who is it, and do you want more company? I live round those parts. :)

Bucky Katt
12-31-2008, 17:17
Were you not talking about Va's Triple Crown? I thought I was on a different post :) teehehehhehehe

Joey
12-31-2008, 17:36

Hey LW, I can buy you 10 chicken wings and a large cold beer if ya do it!! That be an ok prize???

TrippinBTM
12-31-2008, 20:12
You can section hike them to get the triple crown. And take alternate routes as well.

Alternate routes? As in, the dreaded "blue blaze"? :D

Mags
12-31-2008, 20:19

Blazes? What are these blazes you speak of on the CDT ???? ;)

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=14475&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=f78a3e9fade375390b8197797125e37a

To quote the ALDHA-W folks:

" Reasonable alternate routes or required road walks are considered viable substitutes for an official route, assuming one exist"

TrippinBTM
12-31-2008, 22:13
haha, "assuming one exists."

If not, you're doomed for all eternity; lost, apparently, in the space-time continuum. (But then, aren't we all?)

trail_geek
12-31-2008, 22:24
Great choice MOWGLI :)

I have a desire to hike the PCT. I hope to do it in the next 3-4 years. The CDT would be great, but there are so many amazing trails out there. To get fixated on those three is too narrow a view for me.

I'm content to tear off a 200 miler every year. It works for my marriage, and helps keep me just barely on the sane side of the fence. Trails I want to hike before I croak?

Cohoes Trail
Superior Hiking Trail
Wonderland Trail (hopefully 2010)
Colorado Trail (have done 60 miles)
Arizona Trail (will hike in AZ this spring)
Bibbulman Track (Land of Oz)
Coastal Oregon
West Coast Trail (Vancouver, BC)
Brooks Range bushwack - Alaska

garlic08
12-31-2008, 22:49

Here's my favorite CDT blaze. Someone wrote "Don't go this way" on it, and they were right. It was the first blaze I'd seen in about 100 miles.

trail_geek
12-31-2008, 22:51
Great choice MOWGLI :)
I posted that too early,

Meant to say Great choise MOWGLI on the Bib Track, thats my home turf

TrippinBTM
01-01-2009, 14:40
Here's my favorite CDT blaze. Someone wrote "Don't go this way" on it, and they were right. It was the first blaze I'd seen in about 100 miles.

So I take it you went that way anyways?

Sly
01-01-2009, 15:00

When you see a marker on the CDT you know it's time to check your map. I started avoiding them and stuck with the Wolf route if that was an alternative.

There actually is a prize for Triple Crown, a handsome wooden plaque. Beyond that you get to hike three awesome trails.

MOWGLI
01-01-2009, 15:01
I posted that too early,

Meant to say Great choise MOWGLI on the Bib Track, thats my home turf

Tell us more!!

Mags
01-02-2009, 16:03

As Sly mentioned, the blazes are often wrong (as this photo nicely shows!)

Blissful
01-02-2009, 16:11

You mean there isn't a patch? Or certificate?

Oh man...

:)

Sly
01-02-2009, 16:38
You mean there isn't a patch? Or certificate?

Oh man...

:)

Nah, not a dinky patch or certificate, but a plaque! ;)

buckwheat
01-02-2009, 16:42
that and $2 gets you an overpriced cup of coffee...

You've obviously been on the trail for so long that you haven't heard of Starbucks. I defy you to get an overpriced cup of coffee for $2.

Lone Wolf
01-02-2009, 16:45
You've obviously been on the trail for so long that you haven't heard of Starbucks. I defy you to get an overpriced cup of coffee for $2.

yeah, talk about overrated, overpriced yuppy crap. oughta call it Fourbucks

oso loco
01-02-2009, 16:52

Several people did it this last summer - Speedo was one of them, don't remember the others.

oso loco
01-02-2009, 17:00

"Officially": http://www.aldhawest.org/Triple/default.asp

There are people who don't report their hikes though.

Overall, that and $2 gets you an overpriced cup of coffee... :sun

The real litmus test is what you do after getting the triple crown. Do you still do outdoors stuff? Or do you look for another hobby to get a plaque for? :D

I like the attitude, Mags. It's appropriate.

I copied the Lincoln register pages while we were there and sent them home. Counted noses when we got home and there were over 100 Triple ripple dippers. A mess of people that I know had been through Lincoln but hadn't signed the register - and some of them qualified, too. The ALDHA-west page doesn't come close to the real number.

oso loco
01-02-2009, 17:07
Blazes? What are these blazes you speak of on the CDT ???? ;)

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=14475&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=f78a3e9fade375390b8197797125e37a

To quote the ALDHA-W folks:

" Reasonable alternate routes or required road walks are considered viable substitutes for an official route, assuming one exist"

LOL!!!

Wagontongue Mt.

Take a sharp right down the east face to Damon spring (dry) then out to the road where you can hitch into Reserve - if you have the patience. And a lot of luck. :D

Or straight ahead across the road to Tio Vinces spring (likely also dry).

Memories.

Can I go back?

Sly
01-02-2009, 17:09
LOL!!!

Wagontongue Mt.

Actually, IIRC it's Yellowstone.

I only think this because I believe mags mentioned it before

Mags
01-02-2009, 17:26
Several people did it this last summer - Speedo was one of them, don't remember the others.

Speedo and Nacho did a good chunk of it last year. He talked about how long it took them to get a hitch! The photos, of course, were amazing.

Here is an e-mail snippet:

BRYCE CANYON TO MOAB (450 miles (750km) 22days)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattiurlass/sets/72157605978245088/ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattiurlass/sets/72157605699728942/)

As for me? I WANNA GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

re: Wagontongue Mountain

That is indeed Wagontongue Mountain! :O

It was a frustrating day...and like Jim, one I would go back to in a heartbeat!!!!!

re: Starbucks

I only drink black coffee. (and the occasional chai at Indian/Nepalese restaurants).

Their foo-foo drinks are indeed $4 or more. But when I filled up my mug at the grocery store Starbucks yesterday, it was was little less than $2.

Still overpriced, because I filled up the same mug this morning before work and it was perhaps .25 in price because it was home brew. But, I was lazier on New Years day after being out until 2am. ;)

re: I like the attitude, Mags. It's appropriate.

Yep. More than just the big three to do out there. Heck, more than just long trails to do out there.
I love to play outside, period. It is why I moved here in the first place. Not for the overpriced coffee. ;)

stickat04
01-02-2009, 17:39
"How many of you have wanted to or have hiked the triple crown?"

Did it, loved it. Out of all three the CDT was the hardest for me, and I am not sure i would do that one again.

oso loco
01-02-2009, 18:03
re: Wagontongue Mountain

That is indeed Wagontongue Mountain! :O

It was a frustrating day...and like Jim, one I would go back to in a heartbeat!!!!!

Been back (again) and if I can get this titanium knee to do it's thing, we'll go again.

BTW - Brian Frankle also did the first thru on the Idaho Centennial Trail in 2008.

Kirby
01-02-2009, 19:46
No interest in the Triple Crown, looking at finishing the Long Trail at some point.

Kirby

Mags
01-02-2009, 20:06
BTW - Brian Frankle also did the first thru on the Idaho Centennial Trail in 2008.

I noticed that too. Another one on my radar...

Now, just to get a rich, long-lost aunt to fund my hikes...

yappy
01-02-2009, 20:19
the hayduke trail looks incredible. the pics.. man, that is on my radar too... what a journey that hike would be.

Mr. Parkay
01-02-2009, 20:34
I would like to hike the CDT (to finish the triple crown)... but I'm definitely not in any hurry.. 2021 perhaps?

Sly
01-03-2009, 22:24
No interest in the Triple Crown...

Kirby

In other words you probably couldn't cut it. :p

garlic08
01-03-2009, 22:43

Kirby should probably concentrate on finishing high school first!

Sly
01-03-2009, 22:45
Kirby should probably concentrate on finishing high school first!

Yeah, and college. Just giving him a hard time. He's a little young to get into the hiking lifestyle, but I wish I had at his age.

Lone Wolf
01-03-2009, 22:46

i be kirby could cut it big time. why would you say that ****? i could cut it but don't GAF about baggin' trails like most of ya then showin' slide shows of what you've done at little hiker gatherings. maybe i'll write a book or start a journal or do a how to vid :rolleyes::D

Sly
01-03-2009, 22:54
i be kirby could cut it big time. why would you say that ****? i could cut it but don't GAF about baggin' trails like most of ya then showin' slide shows of what you've done at little hiker gatherings. maybe i'll write a book or start a journal or do a how to vid :rolleyes::D

LOL... OK.

Hiking out west is awesome. Blows the AT away. However, it's not a hostel to hostel, slackpack tour.

PS blue blazer paradise. You'd love it. ;)

A-Train
01-03-2009, 23:32
LOL... OK.

Hiking out west is awesome. Blows the AT away. However, it's not a hostel to hostel, slackpack tour.

PS blue blazer paradise. You'd love it. ;)

Shhh don't tell! :)

Plus it's too scary for some folks. Not enough buffets and parties :)

Dogwood
01-04-2009, 16:46

Indeed, I think, Brian Frankel was the first to thru-hike the Hayduke Trl. I also know Justin Licter did it and currently holds the fastest thru-hike of this trail, if that stuff matters to U. No. No prizes or diplomas of any sort that I know of thru-hiking the Hayduke. Hopefully, no one does a thru-hike of this magnitude for acccolades or for a piece of paper!. I'm thru-hiking it spring 09. Can someone put me in touch with Love Barge???

Dogwood
01-04-2009, 16:59
Probably less than 100. But who really knows? Not everyone reports completing a trail. Some like to remain anonymous.

Yes U R right, but I also encounter many people who say they have competely hiked this or that trail and they haven't.

MOWGLI
01-04-2009, 17:02
Yes U R right, but I also encounter many people who say they have competely hiked this or that trail and they haven't.

How do you know? The ATC says a bunch of Boy Scouts hiked the entire trail before Earl, but somehow lots of folks know better.

Sly
01-04-2009, 17:06

103 on the ALDHA-West site...

Dogwood
01-04-2009, 17:13
Nice list Mowgli.

U mean I get a wooden plaque if I complete the triple crown. Wow. I can put it in a box with the gold leafed embossed certified and signed paper diploma in B.S. in Mathematics that I've never displayed. And, I'm with A-Train and Sly, a whole other world of hiking opportunities exist out west and mid west. East coast hiking is great and the AT is where I lost my thru-hiking virginity. It will always have a special place in this hiker's heart, but I've looked to expand my hiking horizons and that means experiencing the west's fabulous hiking too.

MOWGLI
01-04-2009, 17:18
The west is the best.

Dogwood
01-04-2009, 17:20
Mowgli, do U mean how do I know Brian was the first to thru the Hayduke or how do I know there R some who claim to have hiked this or that trail and they haven't?

Dogwood
01-04-2009, 17:28

Why not write a book, LW? Seems everyone is writing a book these days. There R writers of hiking books with a whole lot less experience than U LW. At the back of your book U could compile a list of critical and caustic one liners. It might make an interesting read.

MOWGLI
01-04-2009, 17:32
Mowgli, do U mean how do I know Brian was the first to thru the Hayduke or how do I know there R some who claim to have hiked this or that trail and they haven't?

No. That was really a rhetorical question. I guess I thought of the Boy Scouts when I read your post.

Do me a favor... After you attempt the Hayduke Trail, please come back here and provide an update in the Other Trails forum - if you don't mind. I'd like to learn more about the route and the features along the way.

Happy Trails.

Dogwood
01-04-2009, 17:53
Will do Mowgli. And, thanx for the Other Trails Forum news on WB. I didn't know such a forum existed on WB. Brian Frankel is one Hayduker that did post details of his Hayduke Trl hike on the Hayduke Trl website and/or at the ULA website. Also, I think, the original creators of the route (Joe Mitchell and Mike Coronella) have published a detailed book of the route that is available at the Hayduke website.

A-Train
01-04-2009, 17:59
Why not write a book, LW? Seems everyone is writing a book these days. There R writers of hiking books with a whole lot less experience than U LW. At the back of your book U could compile a list of critical and caustic one liners. It might make an interesting read.

It's got little to do with experience and more to do with how well you write. Look at Bryson, 800 miles and millions of copies sold. Most other 2000 milers are boring reads.

Jack's got both the writing skills and the stories/miles, it's a shame he never wrote anything.

Dogwood
01-04-2009, 18:24
Yeah. Yeah I know A-Train. Just trying to loosen LW up a bit. So, when R U writing a book or having a slide show?

Kirby
01-04-2009, 18:53
I got the PCT on my radar for sometime in my life.

yappy
01-04-2009, 19:12
There is a journal out on the HD trail from a 2007 hiker I think. Also at least 2 guys did it last year as well. You can find the journal on the website. That trail looks like it could The adventure.....it looks hardy.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2009, 20:51

why not write a book? most hikers have no sense of humor, are too goal oriented, are type A. just a miserable audience frankly :)

Marta
01-04-2009, 20:57
With >20,000 posts on Whiteblaze, LW has written a book.

Lone Wolf
01-04-2009, 21:03
With >20,000 posts on Whiteblaze, LW has written a book.

a pithy book at that

jersey joe
01-04-2009, 21:10
I got the PCT on my radar for sometime in my life.
I also have the PCT on my radar for sometime in my life. I think the PCT is a logical next step for someone who has done the AT.

fancyfeet
01-04-2009, 21:37
I once set foot on all three trails in one season, plus hiked 50 miles on the NCT. Does that count? ;)

Marta
01-04-2009, 22:55
a pithy book at that

Exactly.