PDA

View Full Version : 2009 - This is Your Year

Jan LiteShoe
12-31-2008, 15:27
Hi all,

Happy New Year's Eve!
The countdown begins!:eek:

Just wanted to say "best of luck and good journey" to all of you setting out this year, especially those undertaking a thru hike.

Though it might not be recognized, you've already undertaken significant parts of your adventure - the spark, the deciding, the telling and the preparations. I guess you could call it "Part One,' and it's no less important than what we mostly focus on, "Part Two," the actual journey itself.

("Part Three is readjusting to a confined life after relative freedom, and holding your weight from ballooning :)).

And though you feel like newbies, the truth is, the rest of us, we're all jealous of the adventure you're about to undertake, your excitement and new-found freedoms-to-be. The luxury of paying attention, and the time to do it in.

Here's a poem about adventuring that I've always liked, which I pass along to speed you on your journey. Substitute "Katahdin" (or, for the SOBOs, "Springer") for "Ithaka" and it works pretty well.
As they used to bid in the past, "Be of stout heart!"
Hope YOUR road is a long one!

Jan LiteShoe
AT '03

Ithaka

Translated by
Edmund Keeley & Philip Sherrard

As you set out for Ithaka
hope your road is a long one,
full of adventure, full of discovery.
Laistrygonians*, Cyclops,
angry Poseidon-don't be afraid of them:
you'll never find things like that on your way
as long as you keep your thoughts raised high,
as long as a rare excitement
stirs your spirit and your body.
Laistrygonians, Cyclops,
wild Poseidon-you won't encounter them
unless you bring them along inside your soul,
unless your soul sets them up in front of you.

Hope your road is a long one.
May there be many summer mornings when,
with what pleasure, what joy,
you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time; ...

Keep Ithaka always in your mind.
Arriving there is what you're destined for.
But don't hurry the journey at all.
Better if it lasts for years,
so you're old by the time you reach the island,
wealthy with all you've gained on the way,
not expecting Ithaka to make you rich.
Ithaka gave you the marvelous journey.
Without her you wouldn't have set out.
She has nothing left to give you now.

And if you find her poor, Ithaka won't have fooled you.
Wise as you will have become, so full of experience,
you'll have understood by then what these Ithakas mean. :sun

*Giant, sailor-eating orgres - kind of like Bigfoot :D

Jan LiteShoe
12-31-2008, 15:29
If you'd rather hear it than read it, Sean Connery does a fine job reading the entire poem here on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n3n2Ox4Yfk

Jorel
12-31-2008, 16:24
I really don't get paid for endorsements, but The Ordinary Adventurer is a spectacular book. Jan is a true asset to those of us still dreaming of hiking the AT or any other long end to ender. JMO.

stumpknocker
12-31-2008, 16:25
Thank you, thank you very much. :)

Jan LiteShoe
12-31-2008, 16:45
Thank you, thank you very much. :)

:D

"...you enter harbors you are seeing for the first time; ..."

Stumpy, you've entered those harbors more than once - you only get one "first time" - unless you're forgetful, of course...
:sun

And thank you, Jorel, that was very kind of you.

stumpknocker
12-31-2008, 16:59
Hi all,

Happy New Year's Eve!
The countdown begins!:eek:

Just wanted to say "best of luck and good journey" to all of you setting out this year, especially those undertaking a thru hike.

Like I said; Thank you, thank you very much. :) (I AM undertaking a thru hike)

PS: Thanks for signing my guestbook today. Those were nice words you said. I can't believe you would admit to what you did though....;)

Lilred
12-31-2008, 18:09
Jan, thanks for that poem, and for bringing back the memories of my first time. It was magical and I do envy those about to embark out on a trip of a lifetime. Perhaps I'll run into some of you in the Shennies come June. Happy Hiking New Year!!

Captain
12-31-2008, 18:15
It is MY year and im not going to share so there

Jan LiteShoe
12-31-2008, 19:23
1)Stumps, now that I think of it, you ARE entering new harbors this year - aren't you doing the CDT? Maybe then you''ll quit making stuff up. ;-)
2)Welks, Lil Red
3) Captain, you don't have to share, and no one will make you.
It's just more fun.
;-)

joshua5878
12-31-2008, 19:34
Jan- I don't know you but that was an incredible poem and I appreciate you posting it. I appreciate EVERY one of you on this site that have helped people like me without any real "long distance" experience in our preperations. I have had this dream for 6 years now and it will start in just a few short months. I can't begin to tell you how much I have learned by listening to all of you and thanks for also putting up with some of our dumb questions. Happy New Year to all! Josh

stumpknocker
12-31-2008, 19:47
1)Stumps, now that I think of it, you ARE entering new harbors this year - aren't you doing the CDT? Maybe then you''ll quit making stuff up. ;-)

Why....yes I am, :) but I'll never stop making stuff up. ;)

Angee
12-31-2008, 21:37
Thank you Jan , that was beautiful.

Angee

Grampie
01-01-2009, 14:47
Jan, Nice of you to post the poem. I'm sure it will give inspiration to those who start a thru-hike adventure in 09.
May I wish them all, "Happy Trails.":sun

The Solemates
01-02-2009, 03:40
we're starting our year off right...we've been in Hawaii over the holidays...are are still there having a blast!!

Dyadya Tim
01-07-2009, 13:21
Jan thank you for posting the poem. I woke up on New Year's Day and yelled, "This is my year. I'm not hiking the AT next year I'm hiking it this year." Best of luck on the CDT.

Lops
01-07-2009, 14:43
Thank you Jan, the poem is great and we'll think of it as we head off on the journey. We can't wait to head down to Springer!! I can't believe it's almost time!:D

Jan LiteShoe
01-07-2009, 16:25
Thank you Jan, the poem is great and we'll think of it as we head off on the journey. We can't wait to head down to Springer!! I can't believe it's almost time!:D

Do you have butterflies - or eagles - yet?
:)

bonnie
01-12-2009, 22:49
i echo the sentiments of thanks to you, Jan! it is amazing, that this thing that has been just a dream for so long is now so close to being realized...i have moments of butterflies and eagles every day.