PDA

View Full Version : MSR Missing Link

NCYankee
12-31-2008, 16:14
I just picked one up at the REI member sale for $18!

That is like $6/lb.

Anyone have any opinion on it?

MOWGLI
12-31-2008, 16:18
I own the tent. It's OK. I ripped the fly that hangs over the opening pulling it off a fence after drying it out. I still need to repair it. $18? Well worth that!!!

NCYankee
01-01-2009, 10:19
I set it up yesterday afternoon in the yard and it was... well it was a pain in the ass to stake and set up and even then it didn't seem to be completely secure (lots of sagging sections). I am not sure what I think about it so far. This is my first foray into the UL tarp like shelters or anything non-tent like.

I could easily tell that it was used as there was a little burn hole, smaller than a pen tip, on the floor... I don't even think I'll bother with repairing that. I was also shocked at how much space it took to pitch with the guy lines.

I might practice pitching it again today to see if maybe the issue was the length of the poles I was using but regardless, I need to make sure that I learn how to properly pitch this thing.

Lyle
01-01-2009, 10:29
Know one person that used it on a thru. Looked real interesting. Wouldn't mind trying one out - very roomy!

For $18, you got a great deal and couldn't possibly have gone wrong.

Don't give up until you have practiced with it a good deal. Many tarps or tarptents are a challenge until you learn the nuances of the design, then are real easy to get right. Maybe someone who owns one will see this and offer some tips. Did you read any instructions that came with it? - these will often give some good tips to getting it right.

Good luck with it, and if you decide you don't want it and want to pass your good deal on, let me know. :D

Hooch
01-01-2009, 10:31
I could easily tell that it was used as there was a little burn hole, smaller than a pen tip, on the floor... I don't even think I'll bother with repairing that. Sweet steal in the Missing Link. $18 is worth it just to play around with it. I think I'd advise against leaving the hole in the floor, though. Even a small hole can allow water to seep right in when it rains, even with a ground cloth.

MOWGLI
01-01-2009, 10:47
I set it up yesterday afternoon in the yard and it was... well it was a pain in the ass to stake and set up and even then it didn't seem to be completely secure (lots of sagging sections). I am not sure what I think about it so far. This is my first foray into the UL tarp like shelters or anything non-tent like.

I could easily tell that it was used as there was a little burn hole, smaller than a pen tip, on the floor... I don't even think I'll bother with repairing that. I was also shocked at how much space it took to pitch with the guy lines.

I might practice pitching it again today to see if maybe the issue was the length of the poles I was using but regardless, I need to make sure that I learn how to properly pitch this thing.

Even after a bunch of times setting up the tent, it is a still a PITA to setup. Sometimes I'd get a good pitch,. and sometimes I wouldn't. Here's the tent along the Florida Trail.

http://americanhiking.chattablogs.com/archives/ring%20levee%20campsite.JPG

Tinker
01-01-2009, 10:57
When that tent first came out, everyone raved about it. I said on numerous occasions that it seems that it would be very difficult to pitch it for extremely windy conditions. When I look at a tent for use in winds, I look at how many poles it has vs. how much square footage of fabric there is, then at how vertical the walls are. It looks to be a wonderful tent in calm conditions, though. Very roomy for the weight.
Strange that I've never seen one while on the trail. I thought, from reading the posts of the new owners a few years ago, that there'd be dozens of them, at least. That color, though........? Not perfect for stealth camping.

NCYankee
01-01-2009, 12:28
I said on numerous occasions that it seems that it would be very difficult to pitch it for extremely windy conditions.

We had 8-10mph winds yesterday when I was setting it up and it made it a lot tougher, especially for a first time setting it up. The ground was also moist and my trekking poles couldn't get a good grip in the ground.

At $18 I am not complaining but I wonder how useful it will be long term. I will get a patch kit to fix the burn hole.

I really think it is going to take a lot of playing with to see how this all works together.

MOWGLI
01-01-2009, 12:39
We had 8-10mph winds yesterday when I was setting it up and it made it a lot tougher, especially for a first time setting it up. The ground was also moist and my trekking poles couldn't get a good grip in the ground.

At $18 I am not complaining but I wonder how useful it will be long term. I will get a patch kit to fix the burn hole.

I really think it is going to take a lot of playing with to see how this all works together.

I'll give you $20 and pay the shipping if you decide you don't want it. :D

Toolshed
01-01-2009, 14:51
I'l see ya $20 and raise you a nickle :D

NCYankee
01-01-2009, 15:26
Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but I'm not planning on getting rid of it... yet.

lonehiker
01-04-2009, 22:01
I used the Missing Link for the 1,700 miles that I hiked of the AT this past year (2008). Had no major problems with it. The vast majority of my tent sites worked well for set-up. Had a couple that I had to get a little creative. Only had problems with stakes coming out of ground because of wind, once (near Mt. Rogers). It does have a large footprint, but once again, vast majority of the tent sites I chose this was no problem. Would use it again.

skinewmexico
01-04-2009, 23:03
Definitely need long poles. Mine set up better with canoe paddles. I used to find a stick to prop the back line up, and hold the vent open.

HeartWalker
01-05-2009, 18:02
Well worth the money you paid but I returned mine to REI because the condensation was horrible. Also had problems when my wife went because there is very little headroom in the back of the tent. Good luck with it. Sounds like others have had success with it.