PDA

View Full Version : REI sub kilo +20 or Marmot +15

hawkeye
04-15-2004, 21:58
I,m 6'2" 235lbs and looking for a good light bag. I am a cold sleeper and plan on using it on the Long Trail during Sept/Oct. Would like to keep the weight down but don't want to brake the bank either. Thanks for any help.

Footslogger
04-15-2004, 22:20
Hawkeye ...can't comment on the Marmot but I carried the Sub-Kilo from Springer to Pearisburg and then again from Glencliff to Katahdin. With the exception of a couple VERY cold nights that sleeping bag was just right, at least for me.

Having said that ...I am 5'10" and on the trail (after substantial weight loss) I came in at around 158 lbs. I have the "regular" length bag so I'm sure at 6'2" you'd want to be looking at the "Long" version. Another thing is that I tend to sleep "warm".

At a little over 2lbs, the Sub-Kilo packed nicely into a small silnylon stuff sack. I had sprayed the bag prior to my hike with Tectron (a durable water repellant treatment) and never had a problem with the down getting wet ...even with some rather heavy condensation in my tent and quite a few rainy nights in shelters.

'Slogger

Mountain Dew
04-15-2004, 23:01
Now I remember why I liked hiking with you slogger. You worked at REI and thus have a vast knowledge of gear....not to mention you wife, Bad Ass Turtle, thru-hiked before as well !

Moon Monster
04-17-2004, 11:47
I carried the SubKilo for my entire AT thru-hike. There are lots of threads here (and many more on backpacker.com) about it. In those there is alomost a consensus that REI's temp rating is liberal by about 10 deg or so (I'd personally rate it at 30 deg, instead of 20). But, that should still be just fine for the LT in an average early Oct.

I have no experience with Marmot, but if I faced your decision, I would go with the Marmot unless the REI was say 20 bucks or more cheaper.