PDA

View Full Version : Seedhouse SL 1

waywardfool
12-31-2008, 23:07
Looking for a new solo summer tent. Moss Solet bit the dust (3lb3oz packed, IIRC).

Looking at the Seedhouse SL 1. Spent the last week reading reviews of all solo tents, this one seems good...but how about some real-world opinions on how the u/l silnylon holds up with use? I get the feeling from some reviews that were bad, that maybe not enough TLC was used...not a material problem, but a user problem.

Opinions?

waywardfool
12-31-2008, 23:09
BTW, this is for mostly 3 to 6 day section hikes, mostly in GA-NC-TN-VA.

Serial 07
12-31-2008, 23:16
first, i've never used the SL1, only the SL2...with two people...so, with that said, i loved and would buy the SL2 in a heartbeat if i wasn't eyeballing something else...the only thing i don't like about the BA design is that the door opens at a weird angle and rain can drip a little into the tent...it's a kinda weird entry (physically) into the tent...but, there were no complaints other than that...i would rate this a "good buy"...

Sharkey
12-31-2008, 23:21
wayword,
I have a Seedhouse SL1 and it has worked fine for me. It sets up easy in my opinion. It also gives good protection and a reasonable amount of room inside. (I'm 5'8".) I've had the Seedhouse for almost 2 years and haven't had any problems with the material. I have read other views and the only drawback it has (and a minor one at that) is the entrance is at the front. A side entrance, such as on the Hubba, is nice but not that major of a concern, atleast for me. Overall I think it is a good tent.

Thinker
01-01-2009, 00:15
Good tent. I used one for the last 3 months of my thruhike. Buy it. use it. love it.

Wise Old Owl
01-01-2009, 04:24
I had thoughts of getting the Seedhouse but after the last two post supported one man bivys I wanted something I could sit up in and get changed in a downpour. Granite Gear offered a tall one person tent that was super light and I changed out a few parts like titanium pegs and stuff and it is now lighter than the Seedhouse. Now I have a dog and wish I could trade it for a two person. These things are never going to meet our needs over the years.

FYI here is something comparable and has better customer ratings when side by side to the Seedhouse,
http://www.rei.com/product/762724

buckwheat
01-01-2009, 05:35
I don't have this tent, however, I would caution you about the weight and cost.

The manufacturer recommends that you pitch this tent with a footprint, owing to the durability of the floor of this tent. Interestingly, the footprint is not included with the tent. I've seen it around for $45.00, but maybe you can find a cheaper one.

So, when evaluating this tent, add 25% to the cost of the tent for the floor, and add 6 ounces to the weight of it also.

Worldwide
01-01-2009, 07:34
I have over 300 nights in Big Agnes products, and here are my impressions.

My first tent was a Standard Seedhouse the SH1 the tent material seemed more durable than the SL1 and only 1lb ish more. However, the poles on the SH1 break when the temp drops below 30 degrees. This is not a problem with the SL1 because it uses the DAC featherweight pole system. If you have a SH1 and it has broken pole set they will replace it for free no problem. They will also sell @ wholesale the SL1 poleset as a replacement ( I highly recomend this option ) they are interchangeable.

After a few hundred nights in my SH1 and a operator error ( namely me) I got a hole in the mesh from a mouse chewing a hole into my tent and out while I was sleeping. I spoke with the warranty / repair department supervisor Chris Tamucci told him my problem sent some pics they responded said they could fix it just send it in. I told him I would pay for it because it isn't a warranty issue. My core competency has never been sewing and I would prefer to let a subject matter expert do their job. I sent it back to them they fixed it free of charge and shipped it back for free in no time. In fact I would never switch to a tent from another manufacturer because of the amount of recourse the fine folks at Big Agnes give the end user is all that can be asked. When I did have a pole set fracture the Big Agnes rep for the area met me in the field with a replacement pole set ( I still owe Allen Morton a huge thanks and forever will )

I then bought an SL1. I figured even with the lighter, what I thought less durable material, the warranty people standing behind this product were still the same. They assured me the lighter material was by no means less durable. It turns out 150 nights later and my SL1 is still able to keep me happy and dry. In fact I have a brand new SL1 sitting in my car as a spare.

Things to keep in mind:

If you are taller than 5'9" maybe 5'10" you may want an SL2 for more room.

The entrance / fly dripping per the other replies I have had similar issues with on some occasions not others. I would describe the problem to a greater degree as this; a drop forms on the inside of the rainfly around the zipper and drops onto the bug netting and atomizes some sprays inside the rest rolls right off the bug netting. This may sound like a big issue, but you may during all all day or night rain get sprayed 5 times or so. Not exactly Chinese water torture but can be startling. I noticed when I am more meticulous about how I set up making sure the fly is really taut it doesn't occur at all (sometimes sloped tent sites make it harder to make it really taut ).

I recommend the Big Agnes footprint it's worth the $45. Most everyone uses tyvek for the footprint. However, since I am part gram weenie the Big Agnes footprint is 200 grams lighter than a piece of tyvek of the same size, and the BA footprint lets you set it up as a fast fly.

Without question their are competing products someone recommended a Granite Gear they also have an awesome warranty department. MSR Hubba's seem nice but their warranty department super sucks see below. The products are all pretty similar it is just the company and the people that stand behind the products that make the differences. If you like the shape and style you can't go wrong with the SL1.

MSR warranty department review:

I have tried on several occasions to get my MSR hyperflow replaced while in the field. They won't accept the video of my failed product and pics of a clean filter proper usage as proof enough that I am being honest. This a product they have admitted "has problems" and "didn't test well before being introduced to the public " yet they stand by some stupid ass rule that has to be somewhere on the wall in customer service that reads "we provide inferior untested product to the masses and relinquish any responsibility for said product". I will never ever ever ever buy another MSR product. Here is MSR's logic rush it to market and eff em. They won't even send me a pre paid box to return their faulty hyperflow with for evaluation for up to 3 weeks. They tell me they are busy. No wonder MSR makes junk it comes back and keeps you busy where is the suprise?

Peace out

Worldwide

OldStormcrow
01-02-2009, 11:37
I've been using a Seedhouse SL1 for a while now and love it as a personal tent. I am 6'2" and can sleep comfortably in it with my gear. Unlike other one man tents that I have owned, most of which would be considered "bivvy-style", I can actually get dressed and sit up in the Seedhouse. One nice improvement would be a gear loop sewed into the top seam so I can hang my candle lantern. Instead, I usually just push a stick into the ground in front of the tent and hang my lantern on that. The biggest problem with the Seedhouse is the "dog-house" door on the end. It's tricky for a 6'2" guy to slide out of that in the middle of a rainy night without getting wet. It makes a good 3-season tent, and you can use just the rainfly and footprint and leave the mesh tent body at home when the bugs have died for the season.

waywardfool
01-02-2009, 15:14
Thanks for the help, guys.

I do miss my Solet, but it's time to move on. Looks like I'm going with the SL1...at least for now.

RITBlake
01-02-2009, 21:39
I own and love the SL1. It's light but durable, setup and breakdown is simple, and it holds up very well in three season conditions. No need for a footprint, as long as you camp on relatively established spots.

FamilyGuy
01-03-2009, 14:29
If you can wait just a bit (i.e. a month), BA is coming out with a SUL version of the SL1 called the Fly Creek. Same basic floorplan but with a little less mesh on the inner tent and less height by the foot end (same max height). Weighs 1 lb, 14 oz and 2 lbs, 3 oz fully packed with all items (pegs, guys, etc). A sub 2 pound, double walled solo tent that is freestanding. Wow.

Jorel
01-03-2009, 18:29
My son thru'ed in 06 with an SL1. He is 6'1", and liked it.