PDA

View Full Version : Should we add TP links?

attroll
04-15-2004, 23:04
I have stated in the past as some of you know. I have nothing against the web site Trailplace.com or the owner (Wingfoot). I have conversed with him many moons ago and once recently. He wishes nothing to do with WhiteBlaze.net. That is HIS choice. But like I said I have no issues with the content of HIS site. Which brings me to throw up this poll. HIS site does have some good information to pass on to prospective thru-hikers.

Should I create some links to HIS site for other users logging onto WhiteBlaze to be able to access? Here are some examples:

Directions to Trailheads ...
Travel to Springer Mtn (Georgia) (http://www.trailplace.com/portal/display.php?page=travel_springer) ... using public conveyances
Travel to Katahdin (Maine) (http://www.trailplace.com/portal/display.php?page=travel_katahdin) ... using public conveyances
Driving Directions to Springer (http://www.trailplace.com/portal/display.php?page=drive_springer) ... from Amicalola Falls St. Pk.
Shuttle Providers Database (http://www.trailplace.com/portal/display.php?page=shuttles_index) ... transportation

General Information ...
Travel to Springer Mtn (Georgia) (http://www.trailplace.com/portal/display.php?page=travel_springer) ... using public conveyances
Travel to Katahdin (Maine) (http://www.trailplace.com/portal/display.php?page=travel_katahdin) ... using public conveyances
Driving Directions to Springer (http://www.trailplace.com/portal/display.php?page=drive_springer) ... from Amicalola Falls St. Pk.
Shuttle Providers Database (http://www.trailplace.com/portal/display.php?page=shuttles_index) ... transportation to A.T. trailheads

Weather Information ...
Weather and Climate (http://www.trailplace.com/portal/display.php?page=weather_index)... temperatures and rainfall along A.T.
Water Availability (http://www.trailplace.com/portal/display.php?page=index_water)... real-time stream flow state by state

I could provide a link to these articles. Should I or should I not link to these links on HIS site? Or should I ask for users on WhiteBlaze to create articles similar without copying these to make us our own entity?

TJ aka Teej
04-15-2004, 23:40
He wishes nothing to do with WhiteBlaze.net.

Honor his wishes, and have nothing to do with him.
Speaking for only myself, I'd rather contribute to websites
and organizations that have nothing to do with him.
The info you seek to add can be found elsewhere, on the ATC page and in the Companion, for instance.

A-Train
04-15-2004, 23:44
I don't know Troll, I'm with Teej on this one. I look at Wingfoot and his site as an island. Its out on its own and doesn't really want anything to do with anyone. I say we grant his wishes and keep the seperation. This website stands for things and discusses topics that Wingfoot strongly disagrees with and we got enough great things going on here.

Mountain Dew
04-16-2004, 02:11
I agree with the two above posts 100%. Why include a website's information that the ATC provided hikers in the first place ? Any other information could be found on whiteblaze.net or a number of other great A.T. websites. Let the "castaways" stay on the island that is Trailplace.com...

Allen66
04-16-2004, 02:15
I have to agree with Teej and A-train. Wingfoot seems to have the "It's my way or the highway" attitude and it kinda sucks.

Jaybird
04-16-2004, 06:51
I have stated in the past as some of you know. I have nothing against the web site Trailplace.com or the owner (Wingfoot). I have conversed with him many moons ago and once recently. He wishes nothing to do with WhiteBlaze.net. That is HIS choice. .................................................. ................................

DITTO all of the above comments!

Let W***gf**t enjoy his own island world! :D

Uncle Wayne
04-16-2004, 07:51
Please, not on Whiteblaze.

Chappy
04-16-2004, 08:41
Ditto posts 1 - 7

2XL
04-16-2004, 09:54
I'm with posts 1-8

orangebug
04-16-2004, 10:05
Knock yourself out and have links to TP. Just don't expect those links to stay current or for your courtesy to be acknowledged. :rolleyes:

Jersey Bob
04-16-2004, 10:16
Pardon my extreme dumbness but I initially thought "Should we add TP links?" was something about adding Toilet Paper dispensers along the trail! Must be the Jersey air... got to me.

-Anyway, WhiteBlaze is great and I don't see a need for links to TrailPlace. Besides if I really want to go there I could browse over without a link.

StoveStomper
04-16-2004, 10:24
I ran out of TP on one trip.
It wasn't pretty.
Pine Cones and bark are poor substitutes.

Jersey Bob
04-16-2004, 10:31
It wasn't pretty.
Glad to see I'm not the only one who placed Toilet Paper above TrailPlace.

mdjeeper
04-16-2004, 10:38
i looked to see what kind of link TP needed.. was wondering if it was for some new exceptionally lightweight, super absorbent brand :)

about the actual topic though, i dont think it would hurt to have a generic homepage link, but i wouldnt give specific links to the different parts of Trailplace, but as most of the posts have pointed out already, the info is also available on other sites as well.

flyfisher
04-16-2004, 10:45
It wasn't pretty.

Really! So you carry toilet paper on all your overnight hikes?
Seems odd. Maybe worth a poll.

I stopped carrying the stuff about 200 miles ago.

max patch
04-16-2004, 11:27
If you want to add TP links don't ask the members here; as a common courtesy you should ask WF.

The previous owner of this site already asked WF this question and received a negative reply. WF's wishes should be respected in this regard.

Skeemer
04-16-2004, 11:45
Trail Place and toilet paper...one's useless and the other quite essential...both are full of ****...use both sparingly. :D

attroll
04-16-2004, 13:23
If you want to add TP links don't ask the members here; as a common courtesy you should ask WF.

The previous owner of this site already asked WF this question and received a negative reply. WF's wishes should be respected in this regard.
Max Patch

I don't want to be a ass about this but providing a link to another site is not illegal. In fact if somone did that to our site I would be honored. WF would have no choice if I wanted to do this. I am asking this for the WhiteBlaze users. I am just looking at trying to provide more information to help others. But I can see from the responses I think I pretty much already have my answer.

redahle
04-16-2004, 13:33
Pardon my extreme dumbness but I initially thought "Should we add TP links?" was something about adding Toilet Paper dispensers along the trail!

Yeah, I had the same problem. I took an examination on Tax Law yesterday and kept thinking that TP meant Taxpayer. Jeez. As for trailplace, you would be better off asking whiteblaze members to submit their own information on those types of issues. If this is as great a community as we all know it to be, there shouldn't be any problems getting all this information. It could even be more current than the information on the other site.

Dudeboard
04-16-2004, 21:09
kept thinking that TP meant Taxpayer.
I thought TP meant toilet paper. Toilet paper links? :-? :rolleyes:

Rain Man
04-17-2004, 11:31
... I don't want to be a ass about this but providing a link to another site is not illegal. ...

Hey Attroll,

In the months I've been a member of WhiteBlaze, you certainly have proved in my eyes that you are anything but an "ass." Indeed, you are extremely gracious and forgiving.
:cool:
On this issue, you might be wrong about the legality of providing direct links to specific articles, rather than a general link to the home page of a copyrighted site. I believe one of the large US newspapers fought and won against somebody linking past their home page directly to copyrighted articles. The "linker" got the benefit of web traffic by piggybacking the paper's work, while the paper got none (or little) of the web traffic (which generates revenue for the paper, vis-a-vis advertising ratings).

I know that's not the case here, but the principle of ownership is the same. ASSUMING Wingfoot has a copyright in those articles (which he may not) AND that I recollect this case correctly.

So, the safe legal and courteous way is to provide such links with permission of that site owner. IMHO.

Rain Man

weary
04-17-2004, 15:16
I suppose someone should stand up for common sense. Since no one else has volunteered, I guess it falls upon me.

Trail Place has a useful site, as witnessed by the many who post to both. I can't think of a single reasonable reason for not providing a link, so I say do it.

Trailplace has a bit of a quirky owner. But I've found that people of all kinds can provide useful information in this world. The guy who told me about 400,000 acres of land that Maine reserved when it sold it's 6 million acre public domain 150 years earlier was even quirkier than Wingfoot. He squatted in a one room tarpaper shack on land owned by relatives.

He had told the same story dozens of times. Only I listened, researched and wrote about it. Twenty years later the Maine Supreme Court ruled that my quirky informant was right, that Maine still owned the lands despite a century of neglect. That's why the Mahoosucs aren't threatened by condominiums these days. Why Bigelow is protected by nearly 50,000 acres of buffers. Why The Four Ponds south of Saddleback remain wild....

Like my tarpaper shack friend, Wingfoot has a point of view and a perspective that should be heard -- not necessarily totally believed, but heard.

Whiteblaze members have nothing to lose and perhaps important things to gain by having easy access to Trailplace through a link. My message is to go for it. Information and perspectives in my experience are always useful.

Nor do I think Wingfoot's opposition should enter into it. I spent my life telling people what others have said -- with and without their permission. I can't think of a single instance where the hiking community has been harmed -- unless of course you would have preferred finding condos in the Mahoosucs and on the slopes of Bigelow.

Weary

TJ aka Teej
04-17-2004, 15:35
I suppose someone should stand up for common sense. Since no one else has volunteered, I guess it falls upon me.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Rain Man, redahle, attroll, Skeemer, mdjeeper, Jersey Bob, Orange Bug, 2XL, Chappy, Uncle Wayne, Jaybird, Allen66, Mountain Dew, and A-Train, for the fine examples of common sense they've expressed in this thread.

Jersey Bob
04-22-2004, 14:12
I forgot to mention... if you ever want to see what sites have links to your site, do a Google search on this:

"link:http://www.yourdomain.com"

Example: "link:http://www.whiteblaze.com" (without the quotes)

Jersey Bob
04-22-2004, 14:16
I forgot to mention... if you ever want to see what sites have links to your site, do a Google search on this:

"link:http://www.yourdomain.com"

Example: "link:http://www.whiteblaze.com" (without the quotes)
That was supposed to be "link:http://www.whiteblaze.net" not .com

Krewzer
04-22-2004, 22:57
"TP".....nah, let folks wander over there on there own if they want to. That's a trail in need of some heavy maintenance. There are better views elsewhere.

krewzer

Jack Tarlin
04-23-2004, 10:22
I've waited to respond on this one as I wanted to see what other folks have had to say.

That there is a good deal of very useful information on the Trailplace site is incontestable. Then again, as other folks have pointed out, this information is available elsewhere.

I also agree with the folks who've pointed out that it's in everyone's best interest if sites that contain valuable and useful information were made known to the widest possible audience.

But then again, I respect the opinions of those who've speculated that some of the problems with the Trailplace site counterbalance its good points; chiefly, I'm refering to the fact that this supposedly interactive site is anything but: It's a very difficult place for subjects to be freely debated and discussed, as it's very difficult to post material that disagrees with statements and opinions held and professed by the site's administrator. In short, while there's much useful information here, it is clearly info that essentially comes from ONE source/opinion, and it's not a place where differeing voices and opinions can have a free and open discussion.

And for this principal reason, I'm inclined to let folks find this site on their own. I've always believed that there's no one "correct" way to hike the Trail; there's no one voice or authority whose voice or opinions should be considered the highest source or the only source of information; there's nobody who should try and claim that they are widely considered THE expert or authoritative voice on thru-hiking or other A.T. matters. The Trail is a lot bigger than any one person.

And finally, while I'm delighted to see that Trailplace has an excellent links section, including direct ties to the A.T.C. and ALDHA, there are some very troubling omissions, chiefly among them www.whiteblaze.net and www.trailjournals.com, which are indisputably two of the best Trail information resources presently available. It is clear WHY these sites have not been listed: Either the administrator of Trailplace does not think these sites are useful and valuable resources (which I'd find difficult to believe), or more likely, he knows full well of their worth, but does not wish to help publicize them or direct people to them. Well why on earth should this site help to publicize a site that has made the decision to pretend that two of the top Trail sites don't even exist? If he doesn't wish to help publicize these two excellent sites, for whatever reason, then I'm not entirely sure we should help publicize his. This fact, taken with the fact that he wishes nothing to do with this site, leads me to think we should probably respect his wishes and keep our distance. Until Trailplace becomes a site where all opinions are treated with equal respect, and all voices are encouraged to speak out, and until it becomes a site that recognizes that there are definitely other popular Trail sites that folks deserve to know about, and SHOULD know about.....well, until this happens, I can't see the point in helping publicize this site.

That being said, in all fairness to Dan Bruce, I think there are valid reasons why he wants nothing to do with this site. On Whiteblaze, as well as on other sites, there has been an incredible ammount of Wingfoot bashing, and this has gone on for many years. It's getting tired and old, and it's more than a little sad to see folks keep this nonsense up for years on end; surely there are more important things to write about; surely, the time, energies, and knowledge of these folks would be better expended that writing yet again something critical about Trailplace or its administrator. There are folks who lose no opportunity to denigrate Dan, his writings, his website, his character, etc. Some of these folks go out of their way to make the same comments on all sorts of sites, and not just here. Like 99% of all Internet criticism, it is unsigned---people say horrible things, make horrible accusations, imply horrible things---but they so frequently put their real name on their posts. I've long maintained that one should never say anything on the Internet that one wouldn't say to someone's face; at the very least, people with strong opinions should sign their posts with something other than a cute alias. But over the years, Dan has been the subject of all sorts of pretty nasty stuff, and he's tried of it; it's quite natural that he doesn't want anything to do with sites that have published (and continue to publish) stuff of this sort.

But what it comes down to in the end is that he evidently wants no association whatsoever with this website. For any number of reasons, I think we should probably respect this.

SGT Rock
04-23-2004, 10:44
Just a quick note to chime in on what has been said on this site recently for both sides of the debate. I would rather this NOT turn into the "Anti-WF Site" or the "Alternative to Trail Place Site". I think the trail community and the goals of this site would best be served if got some more people to write good articles and kept talking about hiking, gear, jokes, services, etc.

snuffleupagus
04-23-2004, 12:35
Just a quick note to chime in on what has been said on this site recently for both sides of the debate. I would rather this NOT turn into the "Anti-WF Site" or the "Alternative to Trail Place Site". I think the trail community and the goals of this site would best be served if got some more people to write good articles and kept talking about hiking, gear, jokes, services, etc.Thank-You Sgt Rock......
I think that sums up my feelings exactly. I believe in recent weeks, certain members of this website have turned whiteblaze into their own politcal stumpdump. In turn, I think we all need to emphasize the importance of trail education, and respectful trail information above all other matters. We should leave the negativity as well as the belligerent bantering for another day. I enjoy reading the well written, and well thought out postings on this site, and would hate to have to leave because a small number of individuals can't accept that someone has a similar website, and runs it the way he feels best serves the hiking community. Lets just enjoy our comradery and keep whiteblaze a peaceful, informative site for all who share in it.

Kozmic Zian
04-23-2004, 17:24
Yea.......WF Link. Been waiting to see other opins on this. He won't put WB as a link up on TP, but ATTroll and WB(we) can be bigger than that, and ask the man (DW) if he'd want a link to TP. If he does, maybe the 'fire will come off the coals' a little and we can all settle down to the business at hand......hiking. KZ@:cool:

p.s. Don't think if you asked him, he'd want it, though. Besides if ATTroll wanted to put up a link on WB, WF shouldn't have anything to say about that, right? Go figure the whole thing............................................. .................................

eyahiker
05-16-2004, 08:51
----------------------------------------:)

weary
05-16-2004, 09:18
"For with God, nothing is impossible! Luke 1:37 "

Certainly not irrational and prejudiced thinking if the above post is an example.

Tim Seaver
05-16-2004, 11:11
QUOTE : "But then again, I respect the opinions of those who've speculated that some of the problems with the Trailplace site counterbalance its good points; chiefly, I'm refering to the fact that this supposedly interactive site is anything but: It's a very difficult place for subjects to be freely debated and discussed, as it's very difficult to post material that disagrees with statements and opinions held and professed by the site's administrator. In short, while there's much useful information here, it is clearly info that essentially comes from ONE source/opinion, and it's not a place where differeing voices and opinions can have a free and open discussion."

That was certainly my experience yesterday. I merely attempted to add my 2 cents to an existing thread about AT Speed Records. All I was stating is that regardless of whether certain AT organizations approve of/and or keep track of speed records, that the trail running community certainly will. Wingfoot promptly locked the thread, cancelled my account, and accused me of having an "agenda". Ridiculous. Censoring opposing views is rather childish way to operate a discussion board.

It seems a bit odd that somebody who has done the AT multiple times thinks they have the high moral ground when it comes to accusing others of turning the AT into a "pedestrian raceway". Whatever...he can run his website the way he wants, and censor the opinions of those he does not agree with, but his opinions certainly do not reflect the values of the majority, no matter how loudly he may claim otherwise. Records will continue to be set and recognized, and there isn't a damn thing Danny Boy can do about it except stamp his little winged feet :bse

eyahiker
05-16-2004, 17:36
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Chappy
05-16-2004, 18:09
"For with God, nothing is impossible! Luke 1:37 "

Certainly not irrational and prejudiced thinking if the above post is an example.

Weary...so surprised you had so little to say! :D

eyahiker
05-16-2004, 18:20
zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

pokohiker
05-17-2004, 06:50
I am very new to long distance hiking so any and all info is welcomed here. Yes, I can see that WF likes things his way but his site is a very good one. One has to wade through the BS and extract whatever info is pertinent. I have learned a lot more in less time here at White Blaze and enjoy this site much more than TP, but I still go there as do many of you. A thru hiker at TP turned me on to this site through a private e-mail, otherwise I wouldn't know you were here. Thanks A-Train! Yes, add a link, it's for a better hike and not a competition between sites. Thanks, Dave

Rain Man
05-17-2004, 09:41
OUCH! Just checked out this site, I'm definately out, sickening PRO-IDIOT-KERRY and other POLITICAL AGENDA BANNERS, not interested in anybody's political preference being shoved down my throat. ...

I guess beauty is in the eya of the beholder, because I feel like you just gratuitously crammed your name-calling political agenda down our throats.

Let's leave such cr*p out of WhiteBlaze posts, pretty please.

Thanks!

:confused:

Blue Jay
05-17-2004, 10:00
I guess beauty is in the eya of the beholder, because I feel like you just gratuitously crammed your name-calling political agenda down our throats.

Let's leave such cr*p out of WhiteBlaze posts, pretty please.

Thanks!

:confused:

I got the EXACT same impression. He didn't like it on Trailplace, so he brought it here. Talk about the Ultimate Hypocricy.

eyahiker
05-17-2004, 10:56
----------------------------------------:)

weary
05-17-2004, 14:04
I can voice my opinion, and I did.
.:p

As does Wingfoot, though perhaps with a bit more legitimacy. He pays for his site and sets the rules.

I don't object to your expressing your opinion. I do object to especially dumb off topic opinions. There are thousands of legitimate complaints about the two major-party candidates for president this year. But neither are idiots.

To claim otherwise reveals ignorance, which combined with your signature quote makes me suspect that your comment is more dogma than opinion.

Weary

Chappy
05-17-2004, 17:53
As does Wingfoot, though perhaps with a bit more legitimacy. He pays for his site and sets the rules.

I don't object to your expressing your opinion. I do object to especially dumb off topic opinions. There are thousands of legitimate complaints about the two major-party candidates for president this year. But neither are idiots.

To claim otherwise reveals ignorance, which combined with your signature quote makes me suspect that your comment is more dogma than opinion.

Weary

Weary, Who gives you the authority to legitmize the opinions of others? Are you basing it on money? If so, rich people have legitimate opinons and poor people don't because they won't have the means to pay to have their opinions heard (I'm not saying Eyahiker is poor).
As for your objection about off-topic opinions...as I read the post the topic is a poll on WB linking to TP. Correct? Eyahiker said she was not familiar with the site so she decided to take a look. Correct? After looking she was able to determine her preference was to not link to TP. Correct? And then she further stated her reason for voting no to link to the other site.

I feel she stated her political opinion and did not bash WF. Am I wrong? :-?

eyahiker
05-17-2004, 21:44
Thanks Chappy, you're very wise;)

Guys like Weary, etc. and comments like they come back with just roll off my back. It's amazing how angry people get when you are firm in your beliefs, just makes mine more solid personally.

I appreciate ALL of your opinons, and really don't give a hoot who you like politically, but definately will make my opinion clear when discussing this 'other' site ( which by the way I thought was supposed to be a hikers site, not a propaganda site)
So glad this is such a great forum! Sweet diversity........:clap

weary
05-17-2004, 22:43
Am I wrong? :-?

IN a word, YES!

Weary

weary
05-17-2004, 23:04
Thanks Chappy, you're very wise;)

Guys like Weary, etc. and comments like they come back with just roll off my back. It's amazing how angry people get when you are firm in your beliefs, just makes mine more solid personally.

I appreciate ALL of your opinons, and really don't give a hoot who you like politically, but definately will make my opinion clear when discussing this 'other' site ( which by the way I thought was supposed to be a hikers site, not a propaganda site)
So glad this is such a great forum! Sweet diversity........:clap

Okay, eya. If you want to debate, tell me what in your opinion makes John Kerry an "idiot." I know some of us liberals think that -- what with going to Vietnam and fighting for America, when virtually the entire Bush governing team, except the sure to be fired next time, Colin Powell, finagled ways out.

My contempt is not with what you say, but with your apparently mindless spouting of right wing crap.

Weary

Kozmic Zian
05-17-2004, 23:46
Okay, eya. If you want to debate, tell me what in your opinion makes John Kerry an "idiot." I know some of us liberals think that -- what with going to Vietnam and fighting for America, when virtually the entire Bush governing team, except the sure to be fired next time, Colin Powell, finagled ways out.

My contempt is not with what you say, but with your apparently mindless spouting of right wing crap.weary
Weary
Yea.....Weary, isn't this a little off topic? IMHO, this is not the forum for a political debate, or religion, or a lot of other things like that. I always thought that it was a 'hiking' oriented forum. Wingfoot's TP has all the Liberal retoric one can stand, if that's what you want to do. Not to defend one post or the other. KZ@

Chappy
05-18-2004, 01:49
IN a word, YES!

Weary
Again, I'm AMAZED at your brevity. Very unlike you. Must be having a bad day. Hope you get to feeling better soon...I miss your eloquence and the way you turn one word answers into a disertation. :rolleyes:

Hood Ornament
05-18-2004, 09:11
I vote to include it even though I'm in the minority. The ATC has a link to Wingfoot's Trailplace among its Appalachian Trail Sites. It has a link to WhiteBlaze.net in the same section and that is how I first got to this web site. I started section hiking the trail in 1993 and Wingfoot's book was the Bible for thru and long distance section hikers. I have 3 of his books, but I lost faith in him when I ordered his 2000 book in January and didn't receive it until late in the year, well after that year's section hike was over. However, I still use his web site.

TJ aka Teej
05-18-2004, 12:33
He wishes nothing to do with WhiteBlaze.net.

That's pretty clear. Honor his wishes. No links.

As far as "legitimacy" and information on his web page is concerned, all content on his web page is filtered with extreme prejudice and a blatent agenda of self-aggrandizement. If you want manipulated facts, revisionist history, self-authored praise, and much less than the whole story, go to TP.

I'll stick with Kathy Bilton's original Appalachian Trail webpage, with Ryan's original AT e-mail list, with the ATC for legitimate and official information, with the American Hiking Society's original web site for trail advocacy, and with WhiteBlaze.net, which left TP in the dust long ago and is now much more than TP ever hoped to be.

weary
05-18-2004, 14:20
...I miss your eloquence ....:

Chappy. The list doesn't need these personal attacks. I flatly reject your charge of eloquence. It's wrong, wrong, wrong. And no amount of eye rolling negates such a nefarious claim.

Weary

The Old Fhart
05-18-2004, 14:36
Weary: "My contempt is not with what you say, but with your apparently mindless spouting of right wing crap."
Weary: "Chappy. The list doesn't need these personal attacks."

I get confused easily. Which personal attacks are you referring to, Weary, yours or others. After you look in the mirror and see the villain, let's get back to talking about hiking.

Kozmic Zian
05-18-2004, 15:57
Yea.....A Men Bro. KZ@

eyahiker
05-18-2004, 16:38
Weary stop shoving your opinion down my throat. I am way too strong to bite at your anger and suggestion that I 'debate' you here........ :jump

SO, back to the thread at hand, any more opinons about the TP site? (I am growing weary of reading things off topic)
I really like all of you and think everybody has so many cool things to say, I have learned alot, especially about things I may have previously disagreed with - guess that is why I'm here!

:D

JLB
05-26-2004, 13:45
I was going to register there, until his John Kerry banner ad popped up. :bse

eyahiker
05-27-2004, 10:47
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

To everyone else: Do you guys run around registering at websites that are being debated by the community?

Toolshed
06-02-2004, 12:30
My own personal opinion (not bashing, but being blatently honest) is that WF is a hypocrite and extremely narrow-minded in his opinions. I'd rather see nothing of WF on this or any other site. :clap

weary
06-02-2004, 19:40
My own personal opinion (not bashing, but being blatently honest) is that WF is a hypocrite and extremely narrow-minded in his opinions. I'd rather see nothing of WF on this or any other site. :clap

Wingfoot is a very complex individual who has devoted much of his adult life to the trail and to protecting the trail.

He has done tremendous good, attempted and failed at even greater good, and, sadly, often does dumb things that damage his efforts. I would rather see much of Wingfoot on this and other sites. Wisdom, however flawed its wrappings, remains important.

Weary

smokymtnsteve
06-02-2004, 19:49
oppourtunist

weary
06-02-2004, 21:58
oppourtunist

If anyone has a clue as to what this response means, please let me know, because I don't have clue.

Weary

Lone Wolf
06-02-2004, 22:09
C'mon now. You're brighter than that.

smokymtnsteve
06-04-2004, 11:05
If anyone has a clue as to what this response means, please let me know, because I don't have clue.

Weary

guess you would have had to know just a little about wingfoot..then it would be self-explanatory

Skeemer
06-04-2004, 12:29
Originally posted by Weary
Wingfoot is a very complex individual who has devoted much of his adult life to the trail and to protecting the trail.

He has done tremendous good, attempted and failed at even greater good, and, sadly, often does dumb things that damage his efforts. I would rather see much of Wingfoot on this and other sites. Wisdom, however flawed its wrappings, remains important.

Would you care to elaborate? What makes this guy so complex...seems to me he's pretty straight forward and simple...it's my way or the highway.

And tremendous good? Geez, maybe some good... but tremendous is a little strong don't you think...tell me more why you love this guy. So what if he has a good guide book that is helpfull but he does make a buck off of it...what else has he done that's not been self-serving...I'd really like to know.

Until somebody convinces the majority of WB'ers, I say let him keep his so called wisdom to himself.

Lone Wolf
06-07-2004, 09:14
The guy is an anus. He slams former President Reagan just after his death, on his website, then immediately closes the thread so nobody can comment. He's a chickenpoo old homosexual. He came out at Rusty's in 92 so it's no secret. Obviously he proud of it.

Jack Tarlin
06-07-2004, 14:00
Slamming the late president Reagan before he's gotten cold is distasteful and regrettable.

So is profanity on this site, as well as personal remarks regarding anyone's personal life or lifestyle.

It is possible to disagree with someone here without becoming disagreeable.

I suggest we try and remember that.

Lone Wolf
06-07-2004, 14:04
There. I made it PC for ya Jacky. :D

smokymtnsteve
06-07-2004, 14:04
Reagan has been cold and drooling for years

smokymtnsteve
06-07-2004, 14:05
There. I made it PC for ya Jacky. :D

hey wolf did you ever see that pic of jack in drag on the wall at Kincora?

Ankle Bone
06-07-2004, 15:07
"The guy is an anus. He slams former President Reagan just after his death, on his website, then immediately closes the thread so nobody can comment."

Amen to the part about Reagan. For those who haven't been kicked off his site and have had a chance to read the post, you can see that WF's blast of Reagan shows that he has a lot of class----and it's all third.

TJ aka Teej
06-07-2004, 19:03
Time to close *this* thread, I think.

Jack Tarlin
06-07-2004, 19:23
Hi, Steve.

The picture in question has been there for years, so it's not like this is exactly news to me---or to anyone else who's seen it over the years. If the photo troubled me in any way, I'd have removed it. But thanks for your pleasant post anyway, always a pleasure to hear from you.

As to the story behind the picture, I went to a hiker parade in costume for a joke and on a bet, and the money went to charity.

Some day, Steve, you might stop being such a complete jerk, but at your advanced age, I'm starting to think it might be too late.

smokymtnsteve
06-07-2004, 19:30
Hi, Steve.

The picture in question has been there for years, so it's not like this is exactly news to me---or to anyone else who's seen it over the years. If the photo troubled me in any way, I'd have removed it. But thanks for your pleasant post anyway, always a pleasure to hear from you.

As to the story behind the picture, I went to a hiker parade in costume for a joke and on a bet, and the money went to charity.

Some day, Steve, you might stop being such a complete jerk, but at your advanced age, I'm starting to think it might be too late.

Hi Jack,

I have no problem with you dressing in drag..for what ever reason. no justification needed. you do protest too much.

as far as your last statement...maybe you have been looking in a mirror?