PDA

View Full Version : Hiking in North Carolina

tucker0104
01-01-2009, 09:53
What is some of the best hiking trails in North Carolina?

humunuku
01-01-2009, 22:07
Pisgah NF has a bunch - check out shining rock wilderness, and the Art Loeb Trail is swell
also check out Joyce Kilmer wilderness

Phreak
01-01-2009, 22:11
Joyce Kilmer and Pisgah are two of my favorite places in NC. Black Mountain Crest Trail is also a fun hike.

Tennessee Viking
01-01-2009, 23:37
If you want a challenge the Black Mountain Crest and the MST from Black Mtn Campground to Mt Mitchell summit is good.

If you want a backcountry experinence, Joyce Kilmer has probably the best loop opportunities. Then the MST from US 221 to Beacon Heights on BRP has some of the best scenary.

Art Loeb Trail is a challenge and great high altitude hiking.

Joey
01-04-2009, 01:05
Shining Rock used heavily and getting trashed in some areas, too many "wanna be's" up there. But has great scenery. Middle Prong is best in that area, not much use and great scenery all directions.

NCYankee
01-05-2009, 13:00
What is some of the best hiking trails in North Carolina?

My favorite place is Panthertown Valley, which is near Cashiers, NC. I highly recomend a map as it is not blazed at all, but it is a truly incredible area to go spend a night or two, even if it isn't the most difficult area to backpack in.

I wrote a review on the trip my wife and I took there here (http://maritaladventures.blogspot.com/2008/10/panthertown-valley-national-park.html)