PDA

View Full Version : SNP - Lessons Learned.

Spider
01-01-2009, 10:34
My Dad and I put this together after a weekend hike. Thought maybe it could help some of you as well.

Backpacking Lessons Learned

From our weekend experience of 26 miles in SNP on 9/13-14/08.

Carefully review the route before going

Entrance, exit, parking
Access to the trail
Water sources

Two pairs of socks each day because of sweat (for a shortened trip)
Talcum powder? Had chaffing the next day.
Get hiking shoes and break them in!
Buy a good knife
Lighten my pack a bit
Is one tarp sufficient for the group? Seemed like it.
Stop at the first good campsite, even if it’s a little early.
Do side trails or the A.T. Not both!

Lyle
01-01-2009, 10:41
Talcum powder? Had chaffing the next day.

Go with Gold Bond Medicated - excellent for chaffing. Mild "tingling" when first applied to chaffed skin, but not at all uncomfortable and is gone in seconds.

Wash/rinse area at the end of day (VERY IMPORTANT), then apply Gold Bond. Apply again in AM before starting out, and possibly mid-day as well. Has always cured any problems within a day, usually overnight if caught early enough.

Tinker
01-01-2009, 10:46
Changing socks during the day? Ok on a weekend trip, I guess. I hate to carry more than two pair of socks for a trip of any length.
What kind of socks were they? If they were cotton, it's no wonder you had to change them out. They soak up moisture and hold it in.
I've hiked with Thor-lo and Smartwool socks since the mid 1990s and never had to change a pair of socks due to sweat. Both of the above wick well and dry quickly. I've found the Thor-lo socks to be more durable and hold their shape better, but the Smartwools wick better and are softer on the feet.

Spider
01-01-2009, 10:50
Yeah I think they were cotton... Thanks!

Freeze
01-01-2009, 11:08
I've found that wearing the right underwear will prevent chaffing. I like the Exofficio hiking boxer (http://www.exofficio.com/product_details.aspx?item_cd=1241-0016&key=036d960d-fdf3-435b-8698-9d29fd2194ab).
Chaffing is caused by friction, so if you do happen to get it, you want to lubricate it and not dry it. Talcum powder will make it worst (becomes like sand paper between the legs when mixed with sweat). I use Bacitracin ointment since it works well, and also prevents infection.

Compass
01-01-2009, 11:19
Second on the Exofficio hiking boxer (http://www.exofficio.com/product_details.aspx?item_cd=1241-0016&key=036d960d-fdf3-435b-8698-9d29fd2194ab).

KG4FAM
01-01-2009, 11:29
Yeah I think they were cotton... Thanks!
yep, cotton will screw up your feet real fast.

garlic08
01-01-2009, 12:57
Second on the Exofficio hiking boxer (http://www.exofficio.com/product_details.aspx?item_cd=1241-0016&key=036d960d-fdf3-435b-8698-9d29fd2194ab).

Make it a third. I never thought I'd spend over $20 on a pair of underwear, but I'm glad I did in the end, so to speak.

Hikerhead
01-01-2009, 13:07
Take nothing made of cotton except for a bandanna. Same the money and don't wear underwear. One less thing to get dirty and one less thing to rub on you.

FritztheCat
01-01-2009, 23:30
Haven't seen the Exofficio boxers before. I can tell you from experience that the Under Armour compression shorts work like a charm for me. Prior to my chaffing experience, I naively thought chaffing only happened to folks who had a bit of weight to them. Not so! I'm 6'0" and weigh about 160 and I had a horrible chaffing problem! Got advice on this site about the compression shorts and haven't had a problem since.

Skyline
01-01-2009, 23:39
My Dad and I put this together after a weekend hike. Thought maybe it could help some of you as well.

Backpacking Lessons Learned

From our weekend experience of 26 miles in SNP on 9/13-14/08.

Carefully review the route before going

Entrance, exit, parking
Access to the trail
Water sources . . .

Do side trails or the A.T. Not both!

I'm curious: Where did you enter SNP, park, exit, etc. What problems did you find with regard to access to the trail? Were water sources (in September) not running? What side trails did you try to combine with the AT?

SNP is probably one of the most "forgiving" major national parks in the country, meaning you can screw up and still come out whole almost every time. But it is not free of challenges. Many hikers think it is. They're wrong.

Personally, I like combining the AT with side trails. Kind of a best-of-both-worlds kind of thing. But it does require more exertion, and better map-reading skills. The rewards are worth it IMHO.

Anyway, just wondering about your specifics.

wcgornto
01-01-2009, 23:51

I prefer these.

http://www.exofficio.com/product_details.aspx?item_cd=1241-0020&key=6c90e481-20ca-4d44-bd86-0421817cd704

Spider
01-02-2009, 12:20
I'm curious: Where did you enter SNP, park, exit, etc. What problems did you find with regard to access to the trail? Were water sources (in September) not running? What side trails did you try to combine with the AT?

It was just minor things, no big deal. Where we thought we were going to be able to get on the trail it was a steep cliff right off of Skyline Drive so we ended up adding a couple miles to the hike (I'm not complaining =]).

We had no serious problems with water, just on the 13 mile trek back to the car on the AT there were 0 water sources that we knew of (then again we were only using a map, no guidebook so that may be the problem). We ended up just stopping at a ranger station for a fillup so it all worked out.

Skyline
01-02-2009, 12:26
It was just minor things, no big deal. Where we thought we were going to be able to get on the trail it was a steep cliff right off of Skyline Drive so we ended up adding a couple miles to the hike (I'm not complaining =]).

We had no serious problems with water, just on the 13 mile trek back to the car on the AT there were 0 water sources that we knew of (then again we were only using a map, no guidebook so that may be the problem). We ended up just stopping at a ranger station for a fillup so it all worked out.

1) Good to learn there wasn't some mix-up due to poor signage, or incorrect info on maps or in guidebooks. If there had been, I wanted to be proactive and pass it along to the folks who could possibly fix it.

2) Nice thing about SNP--there are water sources other than springs or streams. A few of these are even usable in the winter.

Worldwide
01-02-2009, 12:29
This is the best chaffing remedy / preventive measure I have found. Originally designed for tri - athletes ( has to endure the swimming part too) can't sweat it off really. It is awesome for the 90 degree 90% humidity days where I sweat like a pig.

SNP section of the AT offers hardly any views. There are some nice blue blazes there check out the side trails.

Spider
01-02-2009, 12:34
Oh yeah I think they gave me some of that at a half marathon I did.

KG4FAM
01-02-2009, 12:38
This is the best chaffing remedy / preventive measure I have found. Originally designed for tri - athletes ( has to endure the swimming part too) can't sweat it off really. It is awesome for the 90 degree 90% humidity days where I sweat like a pig.Mueller Lube Stick works too if you can't find Bodyglide. I asked for some Bodyglide at Mountain Crossings and that is what they carried. Worked the same for me.

buckwheat
01-02-2009, 13:50
Exofficio are merely nylon boxers. Much cheaper nylon boxer shorts can be had here. (http://www.jockey.com/en-US/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?CS_ProductID=8563&CS_Category=Best%20Sellers&CS_Catalog=Men) And I'd bet Wal-Mart or Sams has even cheaper. Look for a 90% nylon-10% spandex weave if you can find it.

Socks are another item where I shop the weave, not the expensive branding campaign. Merino wool is merino wool, whether made by ExOfficio or NoNameio.

buckwheat
01-02-2009, 13:51
Then again, you could always go Kramer.

"I'm out there Jerry. And I'm loovvvvving every minute of it."

kanga
01-02-2009, 14:18
I've found that wearing the right underwear will prevent chaffing. I like the Exofficio hiking boxer (http://www.exofficio.com/product_details.aspx?item_cd=1241-0016&key=036d960d-fdf3-435b-8698-9d29fd2194ab).
Chaffing is caused by friction, so if you do happen to get it, you want to lubricate it and not dry it. Talcum powder will make it worst (becomes like sand paper between the legs when mixed with sweat). I use Bacitracin ointment since it works well, and also prevents infection.

thank you. if i'm crazy i'm not alone. i chafe if i don't take precautions so i wear either tights in the winter or fitted shorts in the summer. for the life of me, i can't see putting powder in an area that is going to be sweat-covered in 10 minutes. wouldn't that just make a paste, which is gonna make the problem worse? i can't imagine the mess, either.